Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:18 AM

224 posts, read 676,002 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

I'm a recently married, lifelong Queens resident (raised in Woodside/Elmhurst/Jackson Heights and now in Bayside) considering a move to Long Island next year. The thing is I don't even know where to start. Thus, I'm going to give you some criteria, and based on that criteria I'd love to hear what areas you'd suggest. Thanks in advance.

Here's what we're looking at:

An apartment (or house) under $250,000 that is no more than an hour-long train ride to Manhattan.

As for preferences, an open-minded, ethnically and professionally diverse community is ideal. I don't expect Long Island to match the diversity of Queens, but I cannot live in a neighborhood where people are xenophobic. Thus, I'm seeking a more, um, progressive neighborhood.

Even your most random thoughts are helpful. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Professionally diverse?...what the hell does that mean? You just don't want to live next door to only doctors or lawyers...you'd like a plumber or two thrown in?

BTW..$250,000 will buy you a couple of tool sheds in Nassau County...unless your idea of diversity is Roosevelt..then go for it.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:35 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,601 times
You can buy a co-op in Long Beach for about $250k and can get into Queens over the Atlantic Beach bridge. Its a pretty diverse area...

Old 11-19-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Professionally diverse?...what the hell does that mean? You just don't want to live next door to only doctors or lawyers...you'd like a plumber or two thrown in?

BTW..$250,000 will buy you a couple of tool sheds in Nassau County...unless your idea of diversity is Roosevelt..then go for it.
By professionally diverse I meant to say not just white collar or blue collar. It does sound a bit odd, but I think most people will understand what I mean.

"You'd like to throw a plumber or two in." I'm still laughing about this.

I see many listings in Long Island for $250,000 or under (most are apartments, which I said above suits me just fine). How about being helpful? Tool sheds don't even have plumbing.

I've never been to Roosevelt so I can't really speak on it. Yes, I've heard it's not the most desirable place, but then again I've also heard white people in Long Island are scared of non-whites. Rather than just believe the generalizations and stereotypes, I'm more interested in reality.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
You can buy a co-op in Long Beach for about $250k and can get into Queens over the Atlantic Beach bridge. Its a pretty diverse area...
Long Beach never even crossed my mind. Looks like 50 minutes to Penn Station too. Will check it out. Thank you.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
but then again I've also heard white people in Long Island are scared of non-whites. Rather than just believe the generalizations and stereotypes, I'm more interested in reality.
They are afraid of them moving in and lowering their property value.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
By professionally diverse I meant to say not just white collar or blue collar. It does sound a bit odd, but I think most people will understand what I mean.

Im not sure I understand. Why do you care what your neighbors do for a living? Do you feel you need to hobnob with the white collars or slum with the blues? Would seem to me that it is no one's business what anyone's neighbors do for a living and it would have no impact on your or your family.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:16 PM

203 posts, read 664,850 times
I saw a couple of coops for under $250K in Floral Park/Bellerose.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:17 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
You sound like you're concerning yourself about specific neighborhoods... we don't know what people in whole towns do for a living. In short, random people live in every area. You'll be fine as far as that goes.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:02 PM

527 posts, read 1,019,882 times
all of these are co-ops/condos: Floral Park, Great Neck, Mineola, Long Beach also still in queens you can get co ops in Bayside and Whitestone which as you should Know (you said you're in bayside now) they are good neighborhoods, also in douglaston as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island