Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 08:20 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
not a choke, but a huge dissapoint considering all the vets and pending free agents. This team was built to win THIS season. So much uncertaintly on that roster going forward....

That and two bucks will get you a slice of pizza. Have fun with that....

funny how during the Giants' super bowl run, you NEVER heard anything about the Jets. Why is that?
They were built to win this season but I am not concerned about the future at all. I think they have a coach that knows what type if player he wants and you will also see that there are plenty if guys that want to come to play for him (I think a few Giants players even said as much this week). Young QB with a ton of playoff experience and GM that isnt afraid to pull the trigger on deals I think the future is even brighter. What is uncertain? Edwards and Holmes? Of course, but they can be replaced, same with Cro if necessary. My point about it being a Jets town is just to point out that it really never has been, even in years where they were better than the Giants. Most slices I buy cost more than $2 so I guess. You are saying it is worth something afterall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
They were built to win this season but I am not concerned about the future at all. I think they have a coach that knows what type if player he wants and you will also see that there are plenty if guys that want to come to play for him (I think a few Giants players even said as much this week). Young QB with a ton of playoff experience and GM that isnt afraid to pull the trigger on deals I think the future is even brighter.
you do realize that in a normal year with a salary cap the Jets wouldn't have been able to add nearly as many players as they did for this season. They were smart to take advantage of it, but it's VERY likely the cap is coming back. It won't matter how much players like playing for Rex...you can't keep (and pay) everyone.

Quote:
What is uncertain? Edwards and Holmes? Of course, but they can be replaced, same with Cro if necessary.
it's that easy? really?

Quote:
My point about it being a Jets town is just to point out that it really never has been, even in years where they were better than the Giants. Most slices I buy cost more than $2 so I guess. You are saying it is worth something afterall.
Do you really think it's worth something? Does the fact that the Jets have been the only NY team playing for 3 weeks give you any solace this morning? come on...

Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Whats with all the Giants hate?

Jealousy?

Even Strahan liked the Jets this year.

Dickish if you ask me.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
not a choke, but a huge dissapoint considering all the vets and pending free agents. This team was built to win THIS season. So much uncertaintly on that roster going forward....

That and two bucks will get you a slice of pizza. Have fun with that....

funny how during the Giants' super bowl run, you NEVER heard anything about the Jets. Why is that?
I agree SIB.

Great collection of talent.Some a little long in the tooth.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:46 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
The reality is that the Jets have a good team....maybe a very good team BUT they wasted to oppotunities to go to the super bowl. Its just not that easy to get there again no matter how good your team is. Schedule, who is hot, injuries all play a major factor every year.

NE was the best team in the AFC and the Jets did a great job knocking them off. But is hard to do that 2x. AFC east is a brutal division where everyone plays each other hard no matter what. Plus The Bills may have a great QB emerging.

Plus a looming strike can gut the Jets.....and all the other teams.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:05 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
The reality is that the Jets have a good team....maybe a very good team BUT they wasted to oppotunities to go to the super bowl. Its just not that easy to get there again no matter how good your team is. Schedule, who is hot, injuries all play a major factor every year.

NE was the best team in the AFC and the Jets did a great job knocking them off. But is hard to do that 2x. AFC east is a brutal division where everyone plays each other hard no matter what. Plus The Bills may have a great QB emerging.

Plus a looming strike can gut the Jets.....and all the other teams.
I think they were in fact very good...and they have some GREAT coaches on that staff. Rex may be a clown off the field but he and Pettine know what they are doing. Schottenheimer is another story...sometimes I think he's trying to get himself a head coaching gig instead of just trying to win the game.

Going forward, Sanchez MUST become more accurate. He's shown he's tough and can handle the pressure, but he simply needs to get better if that team is going to make the jump from a team that's simply playoff contender to a 13 or 14 win juggernaut.

But yeah, it's hard to keep getting back to the final four. Look at the Giants...they were probably a better overall team the year AFTER they won the Super Bowl but they were one and done in the playoffs that season. This was a golden opportunity for the Jets.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 AM

305 posts, read 610,927 times
Couldn't agree with your more

Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
you do realize that in a normal year with a salary cap the Jets wouldn't have been able to add nearly as many players as they did for this season. They were smart to take advantage of it, but it's VERY likely the cap is coming back. It won't matter how much players like playing for Rex...you can't keep (and pay) everyone.

it's that easy? really?

Do you really think it's worth something? Does the fact that the Jets have been the only NY team playing for 3 weeks give you any solace this morning? come on...
I wasn't just talking about in January but the entire season and offseason (both positive and negative) - but who cares, not you, great. The fact that it has been a Giants town forever and now, for a season or even a minute it might not be isn't worth commenting on?

Are you saying they can't re-sign one or even both of the wr's? Everyone is in the same boat with the cap but isn't it NEXT year that is uncapped? They, like every other team have some free agents, old guys that probably wont be back and some key young guys locked up, but I don't see any HUGE issues coming up this offseason.

If your point is they have wasted a big opportunity when it is so hard to get to this point I would agree. If they won the division and had some home playoff games and still had the same result I would feel much worse today. Winning three in a row in Indy, NE and Pitt was probably not going to happen no matter how good of a team they were and the fact that they actually almost pulled it off was actually a thrill to most Jet fans that I know. Sorry, but I see a bright future.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:45 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Edwards gone. Harris gone. LT gone. Ellis gone. Cromartie gone.

Thats gonna be a whole lotta shoes to fill.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:06 PM

294 posts, read 610,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Winning three in a row in Indy, NE and Pitt was probably not going to happen no matter how good of a team they were and the fact that they actually almost pulled it off was actually a thrill to most Jet fans that I know. Sorry, but I see a bright future.
I agree.

Putting it in perspective, over the last 3 weeks, they played on the road against teams that were led by QBs that have collectively appeared in 8 of the last 9 Super Bowls, winning 6 of those; with Big Ben looking to add another ring in a couple of weeks. Manning and Brady are locks for the HOF, and you'd have to start thinking Big Ben has to be a lock if the Steelers beat the Packers. As I said on the other thread, I'm a Bills fan, though I like both the Giants and Jets as well, but I think it's easy to see that this has been an impressive Jets team the last two seasons and I think it's likely that they'll keep the ball rolling (assuming there's a season next year!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island