U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 12-09-2010, 10:09 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,715,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Speed cameras are probably the worse idea ever. They would cause more accidents and deaths then anything. People would be so paranoid that the would be hitting the brakes for no reason just not to go over the limit fearing a summons. The drivers behind wouldn't be prepared for a sudden brake because they see nothing but a free and unobstructed highway ahead. This would cause so many accidents, pile ups would be plentiful.

Have you people ever seen people stop on a dime to avoid a red light camera I've seen accidents happen this way all the time. Imagine going 70 and hitting the brakes...... won't be pretty I could tell you that.
Yeah, that's what I mean by it wouldn't work on Long Island. But in my home state it has saved a lot of lives. In the 70's we had an annnual road death toll over 1,000. In the 80's it was over 800. Then came speed cameras. Now the road toll is down around 300 per year. A staggering number of lives (and money) have been saved.

Here is an article about it -
http://www.popcenter.org/library/cri...1/10bourne.pdf

Unread 12-09-2010, 10:32 AM

7,094 posts, read 6,709,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Speed cameras are probably the worse idea ever. They would cause more accidents and deaths then anything. People would be so paranoid that the would be hitting the brakes for no reason just not to go over the limit fearing a summons. The drivers behind wouldn't be prepared for a sudden brake because they see nothing but a free and unobstructed highway ahead. This would cause so many accidents, pile ups would be plentiful.

Have you people ever seen people stop on a dime to avoid a red light camera I've seen accidents happen this way all the time. Imagine going 70 and hitting the brakes...... won't be pretty I could tell you that.
Why would people be slamming on the brakes? When you get on the highway, at the entrance ramp there would be a sign posted "speed checked by camera". Can you explain why exactly people would be slamming on their brakes? Doesn't make sense.

Of course, people wouldn't be able to get out of tickets using their PBA cards and such. Maybe that's the issue with some people...

Unread 12-09-2010, 10:47 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,715,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Why would people be slamming on the brakes? When you get on the highway, at the entrance ramp there would be a sign posted "speed checked by camera". Can you explain why exactly people would be slamming on their brakes? Doesn't make sense.

Of course, people wouldn't be able to get out of tickets using their PBA cards and such. Maybe that's the issue with some people...
Exactly. You have enough signs warning about speed cameras, you don't actually need the camera!

The other strategy is to hide the camera - the first the speeder knows of it is when the fine arrives in the mail.

Unread 12-09-2010, 10:48 AM

14,461 posts, read 15,090,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool0890 View Post
I'm tired of all the irresponsible drivers that go way beyond the speed limit on our highways. They endanger innocent people and seldom get caught. The State Police, Nassau PD & Suffolk Sherrifs do not have the resources to adequately deal with speeders.

So...I propose numerous speed cameras on all highways (Similar to red light cameras) with locations and speed settings kept secret. Fine should be set at around $50.00 per each mph over the legal limit.

Benefits:

*Our highways will become safer

*Police can concentrate on other safety issues DWI, Reckless driving etc

*Funds raised should be dedicated solely to fund Highway safety improvements

Let me know what everyone thinks. I'll be writing Gov elect Cuomo with my idea.
While you're at it, would you also write the governor of Missouri? We need them too!

20yrsinBranson

Unread 12-09-2010, 10:56 AM

571 posts, read 502,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstigs View Post
Best answer I've seen on here. I've got news for you....if drivers obeyed this ONE law (left lane is for passing ONLY) there would be less headaches, less traffic, and less accidents. Plain and simple.
Want to go 55 mph? By all means, please, use the right lane.
Want to go a little faster or want to pass someone going below 55mph in the right lane? Well, look at that! A middle lane!

Trust me...there are a lot more things to worry about on the road than people speeding. Want me to name a few? "Yes Bigstigs, please do."

OK!

- Three to four cars blowing through a red light while turning left on a signal. Wait for the next one, fellas....you're not more important than others.
- Those who refuse to use a turn signal...or, worse yet.....those who don't understand the purpose of a turn signal. The purpose of a turn signal is to SIGNAL that you are about to switch lanes or make a turn. It is NOT to let me know you just cut me off and are currently in my lane. And for those that use their signal at the exact same time they begin to turn on a one way road after slowing down for 100 yards.....try again.
- Not paying attention at the traffic light and need about 10 seconds to begin accelerating when it turns green? Please punch yourself in the face.
- Oh, you need to get over 3 lanes because you weren't paying attention when your exit or turn came up? Do me a favor and wait for the next one ...it's not worth killing people over.

Yea, I think I'll take someone going 10-15 mph over the speed limit any day.

And for the person that mentioned driving in Georgia, you might want to check the average speed limit on highways/freeways there.

I'm out!

The law states that 55 is the speed limit so technically if your doing 55 you should be in the middle lane. So your not much better.

Unread 12-09-2010, 11:01 AM

7,094 posts, read 6,709,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Exactly. You have enough signs warning about speed cameras, you don't actually need the camera!

The other strategy is to hide the camera - the first the speeder knows of it is when the fine arrives in the mail.

Again, if you goal is to improve traffic safety, you let people know there are cameras. If your goal is to increase revenue, make them secret.

Unread 12-09-2010, 11:02 AM

131 posts, read 115,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Stricter driving tests are all that we need, imo.
Oh yeah because, we all drive exactly the way we were taught in drivers ed....brake at all stop signs - then count to 3 before resuming, use hand signals, obey the 15MPH by schools even on Saturday evenings (which it sounds like you may since you seem to obey the law at all costs without using any logic)

I'm sorry but, posts like these are just unrealistic.

Last edited by Bacci Balls; 12-09-2010 at 11:19 AM..

Unread 12-09-2010, 11:15 AM

3,686 posts, read 3,800,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
Oh yeah because, we all drive exactly the way we were taught in drivers ed....brake at all red lights - then count to 3 before resuming, use hand signals, obey the 15MPH by schools even on Saturday evenings (which it sounds like you may since you seem to obey the law at all costs without using any logic)

I'm sorry but, posts like these are just unrealistic.
So you don't brake at red lights?

Hand signals..hmm, actually saw someone using them not to long ago but then again..they were on a motorcycle.

So you speed by schools on saturday nights? Are you aware some schools have functions even on the weekends?
May I suggest you drive by Rocky Point High School on RockyPoint-Yaphank Road. Just try to explain that you choose to drive "realistically" to the cop who seems to park his butt right across from the school at all hours.
I think Crooks has probably seen him many times...perhaps in person!!!

Unread 12-09-2010, 11:24 AM

8,681 posts, read 6,527,254 times
Then there are asinine set-ups like the red lights at on-ramps to the LIE that never turn green. We sat there behind four cars last night at 8:00, with traffic moving beautifully, and when it became clear that the light was never going to change, everyone just ignored it.

Cameras? Please, they can't even get the signal timing right.

Unread 12-09-2010, 11:29 AM

131 posts, read 115,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
So you don't brake at red lights?

...try to explain that you choose to drive "realistically" to the cop who seems to park his butt right across from the school at all hours.
I think Crooks has probably seen him many times...perhaps in person!!!
(substitute red lights with stop signs).

So, you are saying that hypothetically, on a road that is 45MPH, when you see the 15MPH for the school zone, you actually obey this limit? If you do - do you SERIOUSLY think you are in the majority? In Florida you would be. On this side of the Mason Dixon line - not a chance. And yes, it's called using your brain when you are driving by a high school at say 11:00PM (or a holiday), and you are expected to go needlessly slow down to 15MPH. Why? - are there kids playing hockey in the road at that time?...do you really see any purpose to slowing down at this speed at this time of day?

Like I said, don't be such a sheep and use your brain. And for F's sake, as per your earlier post, DO NOT go 55MPH in the left lane on the highway and make a parade like a stubborn senior citizen - have some courtesy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island