U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-11-2010, 06:44 PM

304 posts, read 228,471 times

Advertisements

Nassau sales tax hike called unlikely

Although called unlikely to pass the state legislature, Nassau County Exec Mangano is trying to hike the sales tax in the county so that it will be equal to that of NYC (8.875%)

So much for no new taxes by Mangano.

He is also trying to borrow 100million dollars to pay for property tax refunds. A policy that got Nassau in financial trouble in the first place under Gullota.

Glad to see that the Nassau County republicans learn from their mistakes /sarcasm
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 08:37 PM

924 posts, read 1,126,592 times
Well, their options are either raising taxes to pay the social services bill or borrow the money. Which should they choose?

Old 12-11-2010, 09:59 PM

Be honest about it. Suozzi when he campaigned the first time flat out said that things could not remain the same and that property taxes would go up. Mangano campaigned on an anti tax platform. Well I guess he got his wish with no new property taxes, but instead will try to raise sales tax.

Nassau county would be far better off if they eliminated/reduced the sales tax and property tax and implemented an income tax instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Well, their options are either raising taxes to pay the social services bill or borrow the money. Which should they choose?

Old 12-12-2010, 01:07 AM

4,759 posts, read 4,148,935 times
just don't change the dollar menu at our McDonalds to Manhattan's dollar menu and we're golden, ok?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 PM

8,563 posts, read 2,881,749 times
He increased the deficit right off the bat and moved in the wrong direction because of his campaign promise on energy taxes not that it would have balanced the budget but it certainly would have made sense. The promise was that he had a plan but evidently there really is no plan.

I have to believe that he has cut down on patronage from all the whining I hear from the party faithful so I give him credit on that but also understand that most of the positions he eliminated were vacant but stil a plus.

Still he had some political appointments to the minority affairs, redundant parks commissioners, Ciampoli,awarding Mondellos son's law firm $250,000 and hiring D'Amatos daughter certainly doesn't win him any points.

He is going to lose his battle on school tax refunds his time would be better spent reducing more waste in Nassau County.

Looks like NIFA will be here next month.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/11/ny...=1&_r=1&src=me

Old 12-14-2010, 08:56 PM

hmm so lets see he takes money away from the only county wide office controlled by a member of the Democratic party, gives money instead to people politically connected via nepotism to the Republican party? Coincidence? I think not.

I bet a lot of residents of Nassau County are regretting their vote for Mangano right about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He increased the deficit right off the bat and moved in the wrong direction because of his campaign promise on energy taxes not that it would have balanced the budget but it certainly would have made sense. The promise was that he had a plan but evidently there really is no plan.

I have to believe that he has cut down on patronage from all the whining I hear from the party faithful so I give him credit on that but also understand that most of the positions he eliminated were vacant but stil a plus.

Still he had some political appointments to the minority affairs, redundant parks commissioners, Ciampoli,awarding Mondellos son's law firm $250,000 and hiring D'Amatos daughter certainly doesn't win him any points.

He is going to lose his battle on school tax refunds his time would be better spent reducing more waste in Nassau County.

Looks like NIFA will be here next month.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/11/ny...=1&_r=1&src=me

Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 PM

8,563 posts, read 2,881,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
hmm so lets see he takes money away from the only county wide office controlled by a member of the Democratic party, gives money instead to people politically connected via nepotism to the Republican party? Coincidence? I think not.

I bet a lot of residents of Nassau County are regretting their vote for Mangano right about now.
Looks like NIFA is here now. Meeting was today and another public meeting planned for next Thursday but looks like its over unless Mangano can come up with $158 Million by next week. Hopefully there won't be an agreement by the NCPD to freeze raises this year for back end loading. Now Mangano is joining up with NIFA or so he thinks.

"If the unions don't work with us to achieve real savings, the county executive will partner with NIFA to protect taxpayers," a Mangano aide said in a statement......They argued behind closed doors Tuesday that Mangano deserved an "eleventh hour warning" and one more week to figure out how to fill a $158 million deficit - a number calculated by Moody's Investor Services last month when the ratings agency downgraded Nassau's credit."

Mangano attempts to prevent state financial takeover

Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 PM

6,046 posts, read 7,274,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post

I'm glad i didn't bother voting.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:24 AM

14,282 posts, read 7,649,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Looks like NIFA is here now. Meeting was today and another public meeting planned for next Thursday but looks like its over unless Mangano can come up with $158 Million by next week. Hopefully there won't be an agreement by the NCPD to freeze raises this year for back end loading. Now Mangano is joining up with NIFA or so he thinks.

"If the unions don't work with us to achieve real savings, the county executive will partner with NIFA to protect taxpayers," a Mangano aide said in a statement......They argued behind closed doors Tuesday that Mangano deserved an "eleventh hour warning" and one more week to figure out how to fill a $158 million deficit - a number calculated by Moody's Investor Services last month when the ratings agency downgraded Nassau's credit."

Mangano attempts to prevent state financial takeover
Mangano's partner line is pretty amusing.

Quote:

NIFA officials agree that partnering means the oversight board takes control, a step that Mangano had yet to concede as he spent all day Wednesday in negotiations with the county's unions.

"We're an oversight board. Either we have control or we don't. There is no way we could partner with him or anybody else because we don't have the authority to do that," said one NIFA official, who did not want to be identified. "It sounds like a Hail Mary pass on the part of the county executive."

Old 12-23-2010, 12:30 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,407,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Mangano's partner line is pretty amusing.
When were the last contracts negotiated? Under Suozzi, correct? What did he plan to do, tax homeowners to the point that everyone in the county is bankrupt to satisfy the unions? Yeah, great for the unions. Now explain that to the hundreds of families foreclosing in Hempstead. I see houses w. ask prices of $100k that were bought 4 years ago for $400k. We're almost at $0.01 to buy a house in hempstead, now what? Uh-oh, what happens if the houses go to $0 there and that spreads to neighboring towns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island