Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 06:58 PM

8 posts, read 38,152 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum and considering a job in Long Island.

I would be renting an apartment and have no interest in staying in one of the illegal rentals I've read about in LI. It seems evident that the legit apartment options are few and far between.. (btw, if anyone knows of any great apartment complexes please let me know - I'm willing to pay for quality, but so far I haven't found any apartments that are actually "nice").

So, I may have to choose between being miserable in LI in a crappy apartment I wouldn't like or finding an apartment and neighborhood I would actually like in NYC (possibly brooklyn or even manhattan), but having a 5 hour daily commute (2.5 hour each way), 2-3 times a week. Both options seem awful. Can any of you LI experts help me think through this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 08:00 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
In which community on Long Island is this job located?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:23 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,445 times
You can find nice apartment option on Long Island. Fairfield Apartments is a company that owns a lot of complexes all over the island. I've had friends that have said the quality is fairly decent, but just be sure that you are committed to the lease terms.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 AM

330 posts, read 726,359 times
Just because an apartment is "illegal" does not mean it's not nice. I've lived in several "illegal" apartments to date and all of them have been very nice. Illegal simply means that the owner hasn't asked for permission from the county to use his or her property however they choose (and so the county can't extort the owner for extra taxes). A conscientious landlord will have a clean, safe apartment legal or not. Just takes some looking that's all. That's not to say that there aren't some really bad apartments out there, because there are, but it is possible to find nice "illegal" rentals. And this will greatly expand your options for places to live.

I'd stay away from newly created "illegal" apartments because you don't know how the neighbors will react. But if the apartment has been rented before don't worry about it, chances are the neighbors mind their own business and won't snitch to the town.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 AM
grant516

n/a posts
If you work in Nassau you can generally live in New York City- if you work in Suffolk, that idea (unless the job is pretty well paying) should be shot down.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:53 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeseed2010 View Post
Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum and considering a job in Long Island.

I would be renting an apartment and have no interest in staying in one of the illegal rentals I've read about in LI. It seems evident that the legit apartment options are few and far between.. (btw, if anyone knows of any great apartment complexes please let me know - I'm willing to pay for quality, but so far I haven't found any apartments that are actually "nice").

So, I may have to choose between being miserable in LI in a crappy apartment I wouldn't like or finding an apartment and neighborhood I would actually like in NYC (possibly brooklyn or even manhattan), but having a 5 hour daily commute (2.5 hour each way), 2-3 times a week. Both options seem awful. Can any of you LI experts help me think through this?
"Fairfield Apartments" has MANY locations on Long Island. I've had mixed reports from tenants, both good and bad, so I'm just passing on information here in the form of a link to their site. On the bottom you can scroll to find the different areas:
Fairfield Properties / Fairfield Apartment Living - Fairfield Knolls At Port Jefferson Station

"Avalon Communities" is another possibility if you want to live in "complexes". Sorry, the link won't work, so just google "Avalon Communities" and select New York and Long Island.

There are always "legal" rentals out there, but for those, it's usually recommended to hire a Realtor... (there are plenty of us out there )

Good luck - hope this helps!

Old 12-15-2010, 02:55 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Just because an apartment is "illegal" does not mean it's not nice. I've lived in several "illegal" apartments to date and all of them have been very nice. Illegal simply means that the owner hasn't asked for permission from the county to use his or her property however they choose (and so the county can't extort the owner for extra taxes). A conscientious landlord will have a clean, safe apartment legal or not. Just takes some looking that's all. That's not to say that there aren't some really bad apartments out there, because there are, but it is possible to find nice "illegal" rentals. And this will greatly expand your options for places to live.

I'd stay away from newly created "illegal" apartments because you don't know how the neighbors will react. But if the apartment has been rented before don't worry about it, chances are the neighbors mind their own business and won't snitch to the town.
I briefly lived in an 'illegal' apartment with my husband (we took over after his mom moved to west coast). Well the neighbors suddenly took notice (even though my MIL lived there for about 15 years) and reported it. We were forced to move out. I would not ever risk an illegal apartment again. There are reasons why they are illegal and many towns on LI are NOT zoned for multi-family homes. It is a safety issue and in many cases since it's illegal, all the necessary safety precautions have not been met (electrical etc.).

Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I briefly lived in an 'illegal' apartment with my husband (we took over after his mom moved to west coast). Well the neighbors suddenly took notice (even though my MIL lived there for about 15 years) and reported it. We were forced to move out. I would not ever risk an illegal apartment again. There are reasons why they are illegal and many towns on LI are NOT zoned for multi-family homes. It is a safety issue and in many cases since it's illegal, all the necessary safety precautions have not been met (electrical etc.).
This.

And so she bought.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:25 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times
Also want to add, wherever you look to rent, especially 'complexes' check with the local Fire department and police to check the crime and also the fire report history. I once rented an apartment, and the unit above mine went on fire at 3 am, lots of smoke and water damage to mine and I had to be relocated out. Just something we don't usually think about living in close qtrs. with others

Old 12-16-2010, 03:48 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
As far as the whole illegal apartments issue, it depends on the situation. I currently live in an illegal basement apartment. Its a fairly large basement apartment in a legal 2 family home that was converted into a 3 family.

I'm single, live alone and although will have some friends over from time to time, I'm fairly quiet. Something like that you aren't likely to run into any problems with neighbors. If your a family moving into an illegal apartment, with a bunch of kids running around all the time, or plan on having a whole bunch of parties you may run into some problems.

Illegal apartments aren't exactly the most ideal option, but with the lack of legal apartments that exist on LI and often the higher cost that is associated with them its a necessary option for many 20 somethings on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island