Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:56 AM

92 posts, read 432,959 times

Advertisements

I have posted a ton in different towns because my wife and I are looking to upgrade from the Huntington Schools to Harborfields, Elwood, E. Northport, Commack or HHH. While looking at a house last night in Harborfields the agent told me Elwood is struggling and is looking to possibly be absorbed by several districts. Basically Elwood contacted S. Huntington, Harborfields, HHH, Commack and E. Northport about carving up Elwood into those 5 schools. I don't know if this is good or bad for tax implications. Here is the statement on the Elwood School website.

Elwood Union Free School District

District Statement on Consolidation

Facing Continued Financial Challenges, Elwood Leaders Will Discuss Exploring Consolidation

As the community is aware, the Elwood School District, among others, continues to be faced with the difficult challenge of providing a cost-effective, high-quality education program in a time of ongoing economic strain.

For the current school year, we were forced to eliminate 14 teaching/staff positions and to reduce certain programs for students in order to offer a budget that was acceptable to the community. Looking ahead to the 2011-12 school year, financial conditions remain difficult. Funding that all school districts have been receiving through the Federal Stimulus Program is set to expire. In addition, we are faced with continued reductions in total assessed value, and there is a strong possibility that a proposed tax cap will be enacted. These factors, coupled with rising retirement system contributions , health care costs, as well as other obligations that the district must pay by law, paint an ominous portrait of the future.

With the above considerations in mind, the Elwood Board of Education had preliminary discussions at its December 2nd workshop regarding the feasibility and relative benefits of consolidating the district with one or more neighboring school districts. As a result, the Board decided to send letters to the Boards of Education and Superintendents of our contiguous districts (Northport-East Northport, Harborfields, Commack, South Huntington, and Half Hollow Hills) to ascertain interest in holding joint meetings to explore the issues surrounding possible consolidation. We await the replies of these districts.

The Board will host a special Consolidation Workshop for the public on Thursday, January 6th in the Elwood Middle School Auditorium. We will have a panel discussion with experts who have worked on the consolidation process in the past and who can offer members of the public an understanding of the ‘how’ and ‘why’ associated with the effort. More information on this workshop will be forthcoming.

We do not take this matter lightly; we are proud of our school/community identity and realize this is a very serious issue that will require enormous research, community input, and evaluation. However, the Board of Education feels we must exhaust all efforts in looking for ways to continue offering our students an excellent education while providing an affordable tax rate for residents. Unfortunately, we are at a place where further cuts like those we experienced in the current school year may seriously damage the quality of our district.

Your thoughts and comments will be most helpful in defining the future of our schools, and we look forward to your participation at our January 6th workshop. Please know that we care very deeply for our schools and community, and this is an honest effort to simply explore all possible alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 09:35 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Wouldn't the state have to approve this plan?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:48 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
As a graduate of Elwood Schools, this makes me extremely sad!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:46 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Wouldn't the state have to approve this plan?
After voters in both the Elwood Union Free School District and the district that will absorb the Elwood Union Free School District separately approve a consolidation.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:27 PM

592 posts, read 919,718 times
What's old is new again. Elwood and Harborfields discussed merging in the late '80's/early '90's. I don't understand why distressed districts won't just declare bankruptcy and start over with operations and contracts. It seems to me that would be the taxpayer's best option. Consolidation seems like a quick fix (that relies on dubious State Aid) with enormous up front costs but what do I know?

Here is an article from 1992 that discusses consolidation proposals back then. Elwood/Harborfields is mentioned:

Schools, Losing State Aid, Ponder Sharing Costs - The New York Times

Old 12-14-2010, 03:34 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Where did you get the article from?

Old 12-14-2010, 03:51 PM

Did you click the link? The article is from the NY Times archives.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:03 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
Did you click the link? The article is from the NY Times archives.
Sorry was asking OP but see that it's on Elwood's website.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:46 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,110 times
I heard that the state Regents are going to make up a listing of all districts they feel should consolidate, though it couldn't be mandatory, they might give special dispensation to those who go ahead and approve it.

And no, districts in NYS are not allowed to declare bankruptcy.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
I heard that the state Regents are going to make up a listing of all districts they feel should consolidate, though it couldn't be mandatory, they might give special dispensation to those who go ahead and approve it.

And no, districts in NYS are not allowed to declare bankruptcy.

Last I checked, bankruptcy laws were Federal. I would think the fiduciary duty owed by a Board to the community would overrule any unconstitutional state law on the subject but then again, I am not a constitutional law scholar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island