U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:18 AM

13,917 posts, read 16,565,656 times

Advertisements

Last I checked, East Islip (the area you referred to) wasn't exactly a bastion of affluence. There are some pockets further south, but even those (with the exception of a few million dollar waterfront homes) are not posh. I forget the name of that waterfront gated community, you lived in EI, maybe you recall.

My ex was from EI and had some family in the area near the HS. It reminded me more of Levittown -- little homes, blue collars (and sadly, the occasional small mind.) It would appear that is what you encountered there. To label most white folks on LI as trash because of your experience is as bad as white folks labeling black folks as trash. For a well-educated man, you know that two wrongs don't make a right and that we all have to rise above that.

You caught crap for DWB which is so wrong. Not good at all and unfortunately still not unheard of in a lot of the US.

Going back to the OP's question about "Are more affluent neighborhoods more or less tolerant?"
In an early reply I had written that I believe they are as money creates segregation in those areas, not skin color. Should grapeseed decide to live on LI, he wanted to be an hour at most from NYC. If he didn't mind a longer ride, I would have recommended my community -- one you might be familiar with -- Stony Brook. Otherwise Huntington (village area) is closer and more vibrant for a single person.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:26 AM

13,917 posts, read 16,565,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
People are ignorant and are stuck in their old views that is why. Also, LI is not as diverse I guess. So they have that "old" mentality.
NOw that you've just tarred more than a million people with your brush...answer this:

Part 1:
In the 1960's, after CO-OP City was built and many of the old residents fled the Grand Concourse, The Bronx went downhill. Why?

Part 2:
The decent people of all colors who then fled as The Bronx continued the downward spiral did so -- why?

Part 3:
When things spilled over into the other outer boroughs people left for LI and Westchester. Why?

I don't blame this solely on a race of people. Half my family is Puerto Rican and lived in a nice area on the GC back when most of the people living there were Jewish. My family had dark eyes, tawny skin, dark hair, short stature. THey were accepted -- why? Because they were decent people who kept their place clean, were professional men (CPA and and attorney) and who raised respectful children who were always dressed well. THey made a positive contribution.

Most of us want neighbors who are willing to make a positive contribution to where they live.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:29 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,568,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Last I checked, East Islip (the area you referred to) wasn't exactly a bastion of affluence. There are some pockets further south, but even those (with the exception of a few million dollar waterfront homes) are not posh. I forget the name of that waterfront gated community, you lived in EI, maybe you recall.

My ex was from EI and had some family in the area near the HS. It reminded me more of Levittown -- little homes, blue collars (and sadly, the occasional small mind.) It would appear that is what you encountered there. To label most white folks on LI as trash because of your experience is as bad as white folks labeling black folks as trash. For a well-educated man, you know that two wrongs don't make a right and that we all have to rise above that.

You caught crap for DWB which is so wrong. Not good at all and unfortunately still not unheard of in a lot of the US.

Going back to the OP's question about "Are more affluent neighborhoods more or less tolerant?"
In an early reply I had written that I believe they are as money creates segregation in those areas, not skin color. Should grapeseed decide to live on LI, he wanted to be an hour at most from NYC. If he didn't mind a longer ride, I would have recommended my community -- one you might be familiar with -- Stony Brook. Otherwise Huntington (village area) is closer and more vibrant for a single person.
I do not believe that stating facts is wrong. But that is a LI mindset: "Please do not bring up race". I will say this in closing. LI folks are lucky that most blacks who have grew up on LI do not have the mentality as other races or ethnic groups. If they did they would teach their children the same thing that many of the parents on LI taught their's. In other words, we would hate you for generations. That's how other countries do it.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:36 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,360,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I forget the name of that waterfront gated community, you lived in EI, maybe you recall.

Was it the Moorings?

Old 12-17-2010, 04:22 PM

13,569 posts, read 23,088,703 times
Thread is closed..

Post link not copyrighted material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island