Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 03:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times

Advertisements

I purchased a new TV for my parents for Christmas. They are in Massapequa Park, so under Town of Oyster Bay for garbage disposal.

We are now getting rid of one of the old relics of TV'dom - which easily weighs about 150 pounds. Since he insisted on getting the new TV set-up today (boys and their toys!), we (he in his late 80's; me, a gal in my 40's) had to HEFT this Behemoth out of the TV cabinet and attempt to get it up a flight of stairs and through a narrow door frame.

I really have no idea how it was brought in - other than by a couple of really strong guys, but in order to get it up and out, we had to dismantle it from its surrounding casing.

So now we have this giant (37" TV) piece of glass, still connected to the inner tube of the TV currently lounging outside while we await garbage day on Tuesday. Will the garbage men take this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 07:34 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I doubt they will take that. Can you call for a special pickup?

Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
They will take it. Usually the first truck will call it in to bulk and it should be gone by 11am. Hopefully it's not buried under 18 inches of snow by Tuesday.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:37 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
They will take it. Usually the first truck will call it in to bulk and it should be gone by 11am. Hopefully it's not buried under 18 inches of snow by Tuesday.
Thanks! That is great to know - for normal weather conditions. The poor thing is currently being buried under the ever-deepening snow. But hey - I'm going to look on the bright side: I'm no fortune-teller, but I think I can safely predict no garbage pick-up on Tuesday. However, due to the amount of snow we're getting, I'm not going to have to look at it on the front lawn for QUITE a while!

Old 12-26-2010, 02:41 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Thanks! That is great to know - for normal weather conditions. The poor thing is currently being buried under the ever-deepening snow. But hey - I'm going to look on the bright side: I'm no fortune-teller, but I think I can safely predict no garbage pick-up on Tuesday. However, due to the amount of snow we're getting, I'm not going to have to look at it on the front lawn for QUITE a while!
A lot will depend on where you put the tube - how close to where the snow plow hits; hopefully not smack on the tube
I know from personal experience that when snow is this heavy, they don't always know/see/care where the property line is and I've had a part of my lawn "shoveled" onto my lawn a few times - grrrrrrrrrr.
When I complained, they (finally) spread seed over the bare foot or more strip and much to my horror, mostly weeds came up in the Spring - yikes!

Old 12-26-2010, 03:39 PM

939 posts, read 2,310,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
A lot will depend on where you put the tube - how close to where the snow plow hits; hopefully not smack on the tube
I know from personal experience that when snow is this heavy, they don't always know/see/care where the property line is and I've had a part of my lawn "shoveled" onto my lawn a few times - grrrrrrrrrr.
When I complained, they (finally) spread seed over the bare foot or more strip and much to my horror, mostly weeds came up in the Spring - yikes!
lol... i replaced the belgium block curb infront of my house a couple of years ago. now at the slightest hint of snow i go running out and put reflector sticks out along the curb so that the snow plow doesn't send them flying down the street like a box of chicklets...

Old 12-26-2010, 03:42 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
lol... i replaced the belgium block curb infront of my house a couple of years ago. now at the slightest hint of snow i go running out and put reflector sticks out along the curb so that the snow plow doesn't send them flying down the street like a box of chicklets...
I lost my reflector sticks this fall; some were pulled out and then run over by cars. Unfortunately I didn't think to replace them soon enough Later this week, I'll definitely take care of it.

Love your analogy of the "chiclets" Very visual!!

Old 12-26-2010, 04:31 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
In this economy, there are many scavengers who ride along the residential streets, looking to pick up anything that has metal in it's composition.
There's a copper, wire-wound yoke, at the back of the picture tube which many of these "scrappers" (metal recyclers), break out and sell for scrap weight.
I'm fairly sure that if your local garbagemen don't want to deal with it, that someone, (not Fred Sandford), will cruise by in their old Ford pickup truck and hoist
it up into the bed and drive off smiling. With this "new" economy, I'm seeing many things that I never seemed to notice before, whether it's more shopping-cart
junkmen or the many copper thefts at foreclosed houses, you can be sure that before the town can ticket you for abandoning it at the curb, a waiting public will
be more than happy to help you.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:53 AM

41 posts, read 178,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
So now we have this giant (37" TV) piece of glass, still connected to the inner tube of the TV currently lounging outside while we await garbage day on Tuesday. Will the garbage men take this?

Did you tip your garbage men this holiday season?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:05 AM

94 posts, read 255,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
My heavy pickup day is Friday in Massapequa, they send a special truck to pick up heavy items..TV,s Fridges, couches,cement etc etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island