U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-14-2010, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Princeton, NJ
249 posts, read 712,149 times
Reputation: 97

Advertisements

I never thought I would be posting under the Long Island forum, but funny how life throws you curve balls.
My fiance is interviewing with a company that is located near Bridgehampton. If he accepts the position, we will have to relocate to Long Island. I've only been to the Hamptons once, so I really know NOTHING about the area.
Fortunately, most of the time I will be able to work from home, but when I can't - I'll have to commute to Metro Park, NJ.
Our price range will be somewhere around $400K. I have no idea what that will get us or how far he'll have to commute to Bridgehampton to get something nice.
Ideally, we would like a newer 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath townhouse with garage & without a pet restriction. But, we could live with a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo if the price & location was right.
Of course, we love our Jersey shore - so if we can be near the water, that would be ideal & I love towns with a downtown. I'm sure what I just described is probably out of our price range, but I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2010, 05:40 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,680,636 times
Reputation: 4450
Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

kekee726, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 06:02 PM
 
459 posts, read 1,260,248 times
Reputation: 279
There is not much in the way of condos or townhouses in the Hamptons. There are few in Montauk, but your NJ commute will be impossible. As you move west, there are some in Southampton (too pricey), Hampton Bays (mixed bag) and Westhampton has more than others (probably a little above your budget). Further west you will find more housing of all types in your range, including Speonk, Manorville, Flanders, etc.. Don't know if you prefer townhouse but in these areas you could buy a relatively new house under $500K.

Many that work in the Hamptons live on the North Fork. Personally, I think you should start there. In terms of atmosphere, schools, etc. you are better off. If you want condo/townhouse living, there are several, including some waterfront, that would be near your budget. Single family homes can be had within your budget, but not likely to be new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 08:44 AM
 
Location: East End
64 posts, read 218,136 times
Reputation: 48
You need to visit to understand the area. There are some townhomes under $400 in Southampton, but they are not in the village - ones in the village cost up to $3 million. The more reasonable ones would be out near the landfill, but look to be pretty nice. I don't believe they have garages.

Single family houses are more the norm on the east end. House prices have dropped and you can get something now for under $400 on the south fork, but it probably won't be in Bridgehampton or east of the canal unless it's a real fixer upper. More likely Hampton Bays which is a very nice hamlet.

Frankly, you ought to consider renting first. A winter rental is not that expensive and you would get a good sense as to whether you should buy, keep renting, or look in another location.

Commuting daily to NJ is not feasible from the south or north forks. Too far to go for a regular workday. It would take you two hours just to get there. It would work for occasional meetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 AM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,680,636 times
Reputation: 4450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny H View Post
There are some townhomes under $400 in Southampton, but they are not in the village ...
Those places that have a "Southampton, NY 11968" mailing address that are not in the Village of Southampton are in the Shinnecock Indian Reservation, the Hamlet of Tuckahoe and the Hamlet of Shinnecock Hills; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Southampton that have a "Watermill, NY 11976" mailing address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 AM
 
Location: East End
64 posts, read 218,136 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Those places that have a "Southampton, NY 11968" mailing address that are not in the Village of Southampton are in the Shinnecock Indian Reservation, the Hamlet of Tuckahoe and the Hamlet of Shinnecock Hills; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Southampton that have a "Watermill, NY 11976" mailing address.
I don't believe that is true. Not in the incorporated village. Out by Cobb Road or Ford Dune is not in the village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 11:14 AM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,680,636 times
Reputation: 4450
Default A map of the Village of Southampton in the Town of Southampton, Suffolk County

A map of the Village of Southampton in the Town of Southampton, Suffolk County:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 04:13 PM
 
815 posts, read 1,749,089 times
Reputation: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Those places that have a "Southampton, NY 11968" mailing address that are not in the Village of Southampton are in the Shinnecock Indian Reservation, the Hamlet of Tuckahoe and the Hamlet of Shinnecock Hills; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Southampton that have a "Watermill, NY 11976" mailing address.

Sorry Walter, I live on North Main Street just North of the village and it is not Tuckahoe, Water Mill or the Reservation. It is Southampton and the schools the kids go to is Southampton Schools, zip code 11968. Lived here 27 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
 
7,658 posts, read 16,218,002 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekee726 View Post
I never thought I would be posting under the Long Island forum, but funny how life throws you curve balls.
My fiance is interviewing with a company that is located near Bridgehampton. If he accepts the position, we will have to relocate to Long Island. I've only been to the Hamptons once, so I really know NOTHING about the area.
Fortunately, most of the time I will be able to work from home, but when I can't - I'll have to commute to Metro Park, NJ.
Our price range will be somewhere around $400K. I have no idea what that will get us or how far he'll have to commute to Bridgehampton to get something nice.
Ideally, we would like a newer 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath townhouse with garage & without a pet restriction. But, we could live with a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo if the price & location was right.
Of course, we love our Jersey shore - so if we can be near the water, that would be ideal & I love towns with a downtown. I'm sure what I just described is probably out of our price range, but I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!
Check Westhampton.

The word affordable and Hamptons rarely coincide.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...8_M45784-72400
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 06:12 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,680,636 times
Reputation: 4450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
Sorry Walter, I live on North Main Street just North of the village and it is not Tuckahoe, Water Mill or the Reservation.
According to the Suffolk County Planing Department, and as used by the Census Bureau, if a place is not in the Village of Southampton, that place is not in Southampton.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Southampton in the Town of Southampton is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Tuckahoe, the Hamlet of North Sea and the Hamlet of Water Mill; on the east by the Hamlet of Water Mill; on the south by the Atlantic Ocean; and, on the west by Shinnecock Bay and the Shinnecock Indian Reservation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top