Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:35 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,107 times

Advertisements

[quote=Walter Greenspan;17032076]Would that be The Tides that's in Sound Beach ("Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address)?[/quotethreatend]

Walter

Can you give the OP a map of the tides area. We're also still looking in that area too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 07:15 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Sound Beach in the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Walter

Can you give the OP a map of the tides area. We're also still looking in that area too. ;)

A map of the Hamlet of Sound Beach in the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Sound Beach has a different border than does the "Sound Beach, NY 11789" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a " Sound Beach, NY 11789" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Sound Beach and a place can have other than a "Sound Beach, NY 11789" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Sound Beach): places that have a "Sound Beach, NY 11789" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Sound Beach are in the Hamlet of Miller Place; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Sound Beach that have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
[quote=gag;17032184]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Would that be The Tides that's in Sound Beach ("Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address)?[/quotethreatend]

Walter

Can you give the OP a map of the tides area. We're also still looking in that area too.

Tides are in 11778 Rocky Point

Walters wrong but we still love him.

FWIW the CDP is being adjusted for 2010

Old 12-16-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I've recently had occasion to take buyers around Rocky Point and Sound Beach (St. James/Nesconset proved too expensive) and there is certainly value in the area; spent several weekends and weekdays looking at lots and lots of houses and covered a lot of ground . Definitely worth looking into considering where you work.
I didnt realize you came this far East.

Where were the buyers coming from Elke

Best

Crooks

Old 12-16-2010, 10:55 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I didnt realize you came this far East.

Where were the buyers coming from Elke

Best

Crooks
Have Buyers or Sellers--will travel, Crooks ! Although that's pretty much my "distance limit" to the East LOL

The buyers were renting in St. James.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:04 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Depends on what part of Holbrook you are talking about relative to which part of Bohemia. Worst thing about Bohemia is that the streets just off Vets can be in the direct path of the airport. Parts of Holbrook have the middle of nowhere suburbia tract-home feel where there is not a park or store for a long distance. Neither of these are real "towns". Parts of Bohemia have Connetquot State Park as their neighbor, which I think is an overall positive apart from the Raccoons and the big fire there was there around 8 years or so ago.
Agree big-time on the bolded part, though I have to admit I'm not super familiar with all of Holbrook. IMO if you're gonna spend the money to live on Long Island, you might as well live somewhere kinda "Long Island-ish" and not some place that feels more like a Pennsylvania exurb. Those are certainly nice enough areas, there's nothing wrong with them at all.....I just don't really "get it", I guess. Too far out to be an easy commute to the city, too far west to be an easy trip to the east end, too dense to be considered rural, inconvenient to even the most basic amenities and as far from either shore as you can get. It's "cheap" for LI, but still pretty damn expensive....

Again, I don't know 100% of Holbrook/Holtsville so I'm definitely no authority. That's just my impression from being there a handful of times. There are certainly parts of Bohemia and Ronkonkoma I like, and those places supposedly aren't much different.

For $350k (or even $250k) and within commuting distance to Middle Island, I would think there are a lot of decent places near water, no? I like Rocky Point/Sound Beach the best out of the areas listed. How about one of the Moriches? Brookhaven (hamlet)?

Quote:
The area is beautiful.I just didnt realize it was Sachem East.
Im sorry, I'm just not sold on sending my kids to East HS and Im definitely not too cool with parts of Farmingville or Ronkonkoma.
What's so bad about Sachem East? I didn't think there was really a big difference between the two. Academically, it actually seems that Sachem East HS does a little better than Rocky Point HS (which we can assume you deem acceptable since you recommended it.....and you live there), though the difference really comes down to splitting hairs. I'm sure there is some kind of intangible reason why this data is wrong/manipulated/skewed/irrelevant/etc., and that the response will invariably end up being "we're very happy with RP schools" - despite a question demanding that type of response not being asked. Here's Sachem North, too.

Quote:
Tides are in 11778 Rocky Point

Walters wrong but we still love him.

FWIW the CDP is being adjusted for 2010
Are you sure about that? I do remember reading that the Census Bureau has been taking suggestions for redrawing CDP lines to more closely match up with locally accepted boundaries of unincorporated areas. However, unlike most places in the country, Long Island's CDPs are essentially drawn up by the county first and then handed over to the Census Bureau. Most states (even most parts of New York) don't define official borders for unincorporated places.....so unless Suffolk County has some reason to change it (and they probably don't....it doesn't serve any non-statistical purpose), the federal government won't follow suit. Usually the only time they change are when hamlets/CDPs get merged into - or are split from - others, or portions incorporate into a new municipality.

I could be wrong, though. I certainly think they should take the time to make these things more closely resemble the communities people associate with their names. There's no reason why they can't, and now that all this information is easily accessible online, it'd definitely prevent some confusion.

It would be hilarious if they somehow eliminated Rocky Point and made it a northern extension of Middle Island or whatever, LOL.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:18 AM

347 posts, read 1,351,671 times
I second the recommendation for Lake Grove. The area south of Moriches Road (west side of Hawkins) and south of Lake Lane (east side of Hawkins) go to Sachem North. They also go to Cayuga or Wenonah schools and these are very highly rated. You also get some added benefits of living in a village.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:48 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,131 times
Parts of Holtsville and Holbrook indeed are in the middle of nowhere, you do not hear any traffic at all and the nearest place you can walk to is a strip mall. Some like it, and some don't... lol.
Commute to the city does suck, but its better than some places up north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
What's so bad about Sachem East? I didn't think there was really a big difference between the two. Academically, it actually seems that Sachem East HS does a little better than Rocky Point HS (which we can assume you deem acceptable since you recommended it.....and you live there), though the difference really comes down to splitting hairs. I'm sure there is some kind of intangible reason why this data is wrong/manipulated/skewed/irrelevant/etc., and that the response will invariably end up being "we're very happy with RP schools" - despite a question demanding that type of response not being asked. Here's Sachem North, too.
The stats will usually show you what you already know, but personal opinions will differ.
High schools are probably close to even, if you want to say that, but there is a difference in elementary and middle schools.
I personally would not choose RP schools (sorry) over Sachem East, I'll take Miller Place for sure though.

Lake Grove is a good spot if you can do the village tax.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Have Buyers or Sellers--will travel, Crooks ! Although that's pretty much my "distance limit" to the East LOL

The buyers were renting in St. James.
Understood Elke

Our new friends from church are from St James too.they owned there but they freaked out when their daughter found a needle in one of the parks.Make no mistake about it that stuff is everywhere right now(Thanks Mr Doermer ). A local kid from MP was just arrested last week after an accident with works in the car.

I know I'm overly romantic (and biased) about this area(too say the least) but did you/they have any other observations either good or bad?

I agree with you, the value is solid, but the area(like any) has its drawbacks too.Id be interested in your buyers unbiased feedback on specific towns/neighborhoods.

Best

Crooks

Old 12-17-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Parts of Holtsville and Holbrook indeed are in the middle of nowhere, you do not hear any traffic at all and the nearest place you can walk to is a strip mall. Some like it, and some don't... lol.
Commute to the city does suck, but its better than some places up north.

High schools are probably close to even, if you want to say that, but there is a difference in elementary and middle schools.
I personally would not choose RP schools (sorry) over Sachem East, I'll take Miller Place for sure though.

Lake Grove is a good spot if you can do the village tax.
Me too MP schools are great.

Greatschools.

Miller Place and Sachem (all) 8

Rocky Point 7

Longwood 6

They dont break out East but I wouldnt be comfortable sending my kid there past Middle School.I suspect if it were broken out it would be on par with Longwood or maype RP but with very different socioeconomic challenges. I would do some more DD on the communities of Farmingville and Ronkonkoma.Its pretty well documented.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island