Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 PM

69 posts, read 437,817 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am in levittown, town of hempstead.

I am taking down an old wood fence, lots of old rotten wood. pieces range from 4 feet to like 8 feet.

How can I get rid of it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 08:02 PM

19,587 posts, read 20,416,974 times
Fastest way is with a sawzall, but anyway...just bust it up into manageable pieces, and bundle it up neatly with twine or whatever and put it out to the curb. Just make sure the bundles aren't too heavy or cumbersome and you shouldn't have a problem with sanitation taking it with the regular garbage.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:54 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,031,392 times
Find out what your local size limitations are.
In the Town of Huntington, 4 ft is max length. As was mentioned, tie it in manageable bundles, and they'll take it. There may be a limit on the number in your local area - check it out.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:20 PM

53 posts, read 85,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyfuture View Post

I am taking down an old wood fence, lots of old rotten wood. pieces range from 4 feet to like 8 feet.

How can I get rid of it?

Thanks!
I called TOB for the same thing. Parts of our area have wood quarantines for the Asian Longhorned Beetle. Not to worry, construction wood (as opposed to a felled tree), does not apply. In TOB (Town of Oyster Bay) it's 4 foot lengths, bundled no more than 50 lbs, 200 lbs a pickup. That equates to 4 bundles a pickup or 8 bundles a week, no other limit applies. I doubt there's much if any deviation from that where you are, but call and ask.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baabaabooey View Post
I called TOB for the same thing. Parts of our area have wood quarantines for the Asian Longhorned Beetle. Not to worry, construction wood (as opposed to a felled tree), does not apply. In TOB (Town of Oyster Bay) it's 4 foot lengths, bundled no more than 50 lbs, 200 lbs a pickup. That equates to 4 bundles a pickup or 8 bundles a week, no other limit applies. I doubt there's much if any deviation from that where you are, but call and ask.
i am getting a feeling this will take me a long time to get rid of it..

Old 04-02-2011, 10:06 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,031,392 times
Quote:
i am getting a feeling this will take me a long time to get rid of it..
Patience = free disposal
or pay someone to pick it up and get rid of it for you...

Old 04-03-2011, 03:47 AM

194 posts, read 442,666 times
This isn't meant to elicit numerous replies about how it is wrong to tip public servants like postmen or garbagemen, but a $20 bill would probably ensure your neatly bundled fence would disappear during a one day pick-up. It's just a fact of life; greasing a palm frequently leads to better results than normally anticipated.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:12 AM

330 posts, read 722,386 times
Quote:

How can I get rid of it?

Thanks!

If you can get it into your car or a friends truck you can take it to the TOH dump yourself. They don't allow commercial vehicles but otherwise you can dump as much as you can carry. 1600 Merrick Rd, Merrick. Just east of the Meadowbrook Pkwy.

Or you could get yourself one of those little firepits and have a whole summers worth of free fire wood. Beware of regulation Nazis and ***hole neighbors as an open flame is technically illegal.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:46 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,669,379 times
Craigs list ad for free fire wood

Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 AM

Can I just put some gasoline on it and burn it all on my backyard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island