Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 02:01 PM

6 posts, read 8,653 times

Advertisements

We live in Florida and are relocating to PW. We will be joining The Community Synagogue where my daughter is going to school. Does anybody knows whats a good area to look for houses near the temple?. We recently saw a hose in Baxter States zoned for Sousa. Is Baxter States a good community for us?
Help please!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 02:21 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,395 times
I'm sure you are but talking to the Rabbi and members will give you the local scoop. I can't afford the area, but real nice mostly everywhere and agreat train to NYC.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:30 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful smile View Post
We recently saw a hose in Baxter States ...
I agree with gag that you should check with folks at the Community Synagogue (Reform) in the Village of Sands Point ("Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address) for their thoughts.

Baxter Estates is a village, and while it is within the greater Port Washington area, it, like the Village of Sands Point, is not part of Port Washington, which is a hamlet.

And, like Sands Point, Baxter Estates is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name as part of their mailing address while Port Washington is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the hamlet.

A map of the Village of Baxter Estates in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/eb/Baxter-estates-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Baxter Estates is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name as part of their mailing address: places in the Village of Baxter Estates have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address.

A map of the Hamlet of Port Washington in the Town of North Hempstead, Nassau County:

Port Washington is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places that have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Port Washington are in the Village of Sands Point, the Village of Port Washington North, the Village of Manorhaven, the Village of Baxter Estates and the Village of Flower Hill.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:35 PM

Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

beautiful smile, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 12-16-2010, 03:57 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful smile View Post
We live in Florida and are relocating to PW. We will be joining The Community Synagogue where my daughter is going to school. Does anybody knows whats a good area to look for houses near the temple?. We recently saw a hose in Baxter States zoned for Sousa. Is Baxter States a good community for us?
Help please!!!
Baxter Estates is very nice It has lots of hills and has lots of spacious, well built homes constructed in the 1920's.

Sands Point as well as Beacon Hill are all nice upper middle class to wealthy areas that I think you will like. Sands Point has the largest properties and Beacon Hill has lots of Tudor style properties.

Port has the whole spectrum of Jewish communities so I think you will find it a good fit.

All elementary schools are good in Port, but South Salem and Sousa are considered the better schools in the district.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Sands Point as well as Beacon Hill are all nice upper middle class to wealthy areas that I think you will like.
Sands Point is a village (it has the most expensive per-acre real estate on Long Island). Beacon Hill is a ????? A neighborhood in the Hamlet of Port Washington ?????

Old 12-16-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Baxter Estates is very nice It has lots of hills and has lots of spacious, well built homes constructed in the 1920's.

Sands Point as well as Beacon Hill are all nice upper middle class to wealthy areas that I think you will like. Sands Point has the largest properties and Beacon Hill has lots of Tudor style properties.

Port has the whole spectrum of Jewish communities so I think you will find it a good fit.

All elementary schools are good in Port, but South Salem and Sousa are considered the better schools in the district.
Thank you so much. It sounds like we will be in the right place!

Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
beautiful smile, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).
great! thanks for the info.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:20 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Beacon Hill is a ????? A neighborhood in the Hamlet of Port Washington ?????
That's correct...

I dunno if this is just me or not, but when I first started driving I used to get lost all the time trying to get back on Northern Boulevard from Roslyn, and end up getting stuck going allllll the way up north on West Shore Road. Has anybody else ever done that? I've been in the car with other people who have done it, too.....so I feel like I'm not alone haha. Anyway - IF you have made that bonehead mistake before, that neighborhood you finally end up in is Beacon Hill. VERY NICE!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island