Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:02 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,827,236 times

Advertisements

If it's just the 2 of you and a pet, try Queens or Staten Island in the boroughs first. Rentals in Long Island are more expensive because landlords try to cover high property taxes. When both of you have steady jobs, that's when you should consider moving to Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,810,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Right, moving from North Carolina with no job and no specialized skills to one of the most expensive places in the country.

Food Service and customer service jobs on LI pay probably about 10% more than they would in NC..if you can get one.....unfortunately an apartment costs twice as much, as do things like car insurance and a litany of other things.
Have to agree here. There are plenty of legal and prbably more illegal apartments to choose from on LI, but $700 a month rent? I paid that 15 years ago for a 2 room illegal. That amount is do-able in many smaller metros and one can get a decent place, but in the NYC metro, not gonna happen.

Also, with the skills listed by the OP, unless they have a long history of well paying jobs ($35k up to $50k/year), I don't see landing jobs that would cover their expenses so that they can enjoy life in suburbia. So struggling in small town NC or LI, it would probably be worse on LI.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:24 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,940,902 times
It's not easy going from this

to this

Old 12-21-2010, 09:41 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,110,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Right, moving from North Carolina with no job and no specialized skills to one of the most expensive places in the country.

Food Service and customer service jobs on LI pay probably about 10% more than they would in NC..if you can get one.....unfortunately an apartment costs twice as much, as do things like car insurance and a litany of other things.
She has a "job" - unemployment.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 AM

6,383 posts, read 13,114,341 times
Big Mike I didnt know you had a trailor park as a neighbor.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,940,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Big Mike I didnt know you had a trailor park as a neighbor.
Roc,

That's not my neighbor That's my house...can't you see I'm doing some renovation work

Old 12-21-2010, 01:37 PM

629 posts, read 1,697,609 times
While the fast answer might be to make fun of your question - the fact you are not from here and know nothing about the area dictate a patient response

I appreciate your desire to flee your small town - but without a formal education (or some valuable trade skills in lieu of an education) your chances of making it here are very slim. You are considering moving to one of the most expensive places in the entire country with a job market that is incredibly competitive and filled with highly skilled/educated people.

Certainly there must be places between NC and Long Island that will provide you with the opportunity to be a member of a larger community than you live in now - while not placing unrealistic financial burdens on yourself!

Old 12-21-2010, 01:55 PM

225 posts, read 714,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBucks View Post
While the fast answer might be to make fun of your question - the fact you are not from here and know nothing about the area dictate a patient response

I appreciate your desire to flee your small town - but without a formal education (or some valuable trade skills in lieu of an education) your chances of making it here are very slim. You are considering moving to one of the most expensive places in the entire country with a job market that is incredibly competitive and filled with highly skilled/educated people.

Certainly there must be places between NC and Long Island that will provide you with the opportunity to be a member of a larger community than you live in now - while not placing unrealistic financial burdens on yourself!

I couldn't agree with you more, but I'd also like to add that even those who are educated, skilled and originally from this area can't even make it on their own...it's hard when you're born & raised in this area, have roots, family and a job and everyone around you is telling you to get out while you can.

I'm 26 years old, and work in NYC as a Marketing Coordinator. I've lived on Long Island my entire life, and as much as I love the NY area, I don't know if it's a "realistic" world for me to be living in. I'm still living at home trying to save and save with the hopes of one day having a place of my own but it almost seems like that dream is unattainable when everything is so outrageously expensive and the cost of everything keeps going up and up, except your salary.

It's sad, but all of my friends who went away to college stayed away and are all living down south. They have jobs, and they've managed to support themselves and buy houses and they have completely different lives. I look at myself and think I'll never be able to get and make it on my own.

After losing my job and being unemployed for 8 months, I landed a job in NYC, only for my fiance to lose his teaching job a month and half later. He's struggling to get by and had to move home because the only job he could get was a $13 billing clerks position that barely gets him by. My parents are pushing us to just pick up and leave because we don't really have a future here. How sad is that?

My advice to give is to just stay where you are in NC. You clearly have no idea what your getting yourself into by moving up here. And besides, if people are moving out of the state, there's clearly a good reason. Why would you want to move here and struggle?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more, but I'd also like to add that even those who are educated, skilled and originally from this area can't even make it on their own...it's hard when you're born & raised in this area, have roots, family and a job and everyone around you is telling you to get out while you can.

I'm 26 years old, and work in NYC as a Marketing Coordinator. I've lived on Long Island my entire life, and as much as I love the NY area, I don't know if it's a "realistic" world for me to be living in. I'm still living at home trying to save and save with the hopes of one day having a place of my own but it almost seems like that dream is unattainable when everything is so outrageously expensive and the cost of everything keeps going up and up, except your salary.

It's sad, but all of my friends who went away to college stayed away and are all living down south. They have jobs, and they've managed to support themselves and buy houses and they have completely different lives. I look at myself and think I'll never be able to get and make it on my own.

After losing my job and being unemployed for 8 months, I landed a job in NYC, only for my fiance to lose his teaching job a month and half later. He's struggling to get by and had to move home because the only job he could get was a $13 billing clerks position that barely gets him by. My parents are pushing us to just pick up and leave because we don't really have a future here. How sad is that?

My advice to give is to just stay where you are in NC. You clearly have no idea what your getting yourself into by moving up here. And besides, if people are moving out of the state, there's clearly a good reason. Why would you want to move here and struggle?
Young lady - your words have struck a cord in me. Trust me - more than you know - I DO fully realize that there educated/skilled LOCALS who are having a hard time making it here. My wife and I have decided to move down south as well - we list our house this Spring. Our little girl is nearly three now and I'll be damned if I condemn her to living on this island and possibly being in the position that you are when she's 26. You and your fiance do yourselves a favor and leave - your parents are right.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelingBanjos View Post
Kind of interesting. She has friends who all moved away to college and stayed away and did good for themselves. This was after they were raised in NY though.

The OP of this thread grew up down south and read her story.

I don't think raising your kids in NY puts a burden of disadvantage on them when they grow up. Quite the contrary.

"If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere".

I was going to move my family to Pa. We have a friend who moved down there before us. We researched all of the schools in the areas we liked and determined that they would be good enough for our kids. Our friend warned us to stay here, though, when she said that all the younger people in that area were dumb as dirt. School stats being whatever they were, as New Yorkers we know dummies when we see them. A town full of dummies = crappy schools and kids with no real shot.

My game plan: Get them the best NY education possible, both academic and streetwise. Make sure they travel plenty and see the world so they aren't locked down on this sandbar. I'm leaving as soon as they finish school. I'll do everything in my power to make them know there's more to the world than NY. But there is no better place to prepare someone for life than NY, IMO.

If they can make it here, good for them. Not everyone is struggling to make ends meet in NY. Survival of the fittest.
Thank you for reminding me that not only do I despise the cost of living here - but also the arrogant attitudes of the typical Long Islander. I think I'm going to move up my listing date and try to get out of here sooner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island