Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM

186 posts, read 713,457 times

Advertisements

I have a plasma TV I'd like to install above my fireplace. I'm considering using Geek Squad because as a AAA member, I get 20% off. But even so, it seems to be expensive (around $400).

Can anyone recommend some local places that can provide this service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 01:44 PM

65 posts, read 192,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonPhishn View Post
I have a plasma TV I'd like to install above my fireplace. I'm considering using Geek Squad because as a AAA member, I get 20% off. But even so, it seems to be expensive (around $400).

Can anyone recommend some local places that can provide this service?
Last time when I got Fios installed the guy give me a number of his friend who does TV installation and running cables. I'll have to look up the number and post again.

However, if you're thinking of mounting a TV above the fireplace, I'd suggest you to check out DynamicMounting. I was going to get this mount until I converted a wall in the living room. I no long need to hang my TV above the fireplace. Otherwise, it's a great solution to those that want the option of viewing the TV at a lower level. It's a bit pricy but if you send them pictures and videos, you'll get some credit back.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:03 AM

486 posts, read 2,113,208 times
I heard stories where the t.v. wasn't mounted correctly and after a while it fell off the wall. If you are going to do it, make sure it's done right. With the geek squad, at least if they hang it and something should go wrong, they will be held liable. So you have some sort of insurance.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:04 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
I heard stories where the t.v. wasn't mounted correctly and after a while it fell off the wall. If you are going to do it, make sure it's done right. With the geek squad, at least if they hang it and something should go wrong, they will be held liable. So you have some sort of insurance.

.. or you could just do it yourself correctly the first time.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Thats interesting,
What kinda insurance ? Will replace the screws ? Will replace the TV and the mount and install it again ?

What if it falls off the wall on my housekeepers head and she is suing me for damages ?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 AM

592 posts, read 919,838 times
Have an electrician do it because you'll want an outlet behind the TV anyway.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:24 AM

486 posts, read 2,113,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Thats interesting,
What kinda insurance ? Will replace the screws ? Will replace the TV and the mount and install it again ?

What if it falls off the wall on my housekeepers head and she is suing me for damages ?

Ha ha very funny. They give you something like a one year warranty after it's installed. You can call Geek Squad for the specifics about your housekeeper . Not everyone is capable of doing something like this especially if the t.v. is very large. Better to be safe than sorry and get it done right with some sort of protection if the person you hire screws it up, you can at least have the confidence of the company to fall back on. T.V.'s are big investments for some folks in these hard times.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Ha ha very funny. They give you something like a one year warranty after it's installed. You can call Geek Squad for the specifics about your housekeeper . Not everyone is capable of doing something like this especially if the t.v. is very large. Better to be safe than sorry and get it done right with some sort of protection if the person you hire screws it up, you can at least have the confidence of the company to fall back on. T.V.'s are big investments for some folks in these hard times.
You know, you don't install the mount with the TV attached... right?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
I spent a few minutes on the geeksquad and wanted to ask you if the warranty is extra over the $350 installation charge ?
I could not find anything on their site, and again, do you know what does the warranty cover ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island