Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:43 PM

14 posts, read 12,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Thank you for proving my point about ignorance of the law. If you knew anything about the use of deadly physical force, then you'd know that the laws are different for cops and civilians. Cops have a lot more latitude about employing the force. That's not "discretion"; it's law. And it's black and white. And the only stupid people are the ones who don't understand the fact that we are a nation of laws. That's what makes us better than the other nations of the world. Go ahead and beat your chest some more, tough guy.
I never said cops and civilians were held to the same standard for anything. Tell the voices in your head to get it right. And yes we are a nation of laws, but only an old buffoon robocop looks at laws as infallible, black and white and applicable to all situations. People who think understand life is about grey area.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,930 times
I am a conservative Republican and the first one to admit that I think race is spoken of too often in this country, and often brought up as a distractionary measure. However in this instance I find it dubious that some people here criticizing Mr. White, would hold to their same positions if 4 black youth were on a caucasians property threatening bodily harm and rape to the mans wife. What if those 4 punks sprinted into his home in a rage and attacked his son? How is he supposed to know wwhether or not these threats are real? The real question is what type of people raise someone who yells something atrocious at one of his elders claiming bodily harm to his son, and violation of one's wife? Mr. White is an American hero. I don't like Al Sharpton and I dont like The Black panthers ..but I LOVE what is right. I will march right alongside these groups if it is in defense of Mr. White!

Old 12-24-2010, 01:46 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Clearly the Governor, the judge, and some of the jury do not agree with your "informed" legal analysis...
What part of the idea of arrest, trial and conviction don't you understand? White was arrested, tried by a jury of his peers, convicted and sentenced to prison. All exactly in accordance with my very informed legal analysis.

The fact that the governor chose to commute his sentence has nothing to do with the facts or the laws of the case. Governors have the power to commute sentences and issues pardons for people who have been lawfully convicted of a crime. Note that the Governor didn't pardon White, nor seek to void his conviction ... he simply commuted the sentence. That speaks volumes and indicates that the conviction was appropriate ... and still stands.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooseveltscolonel View Post
I never said cops and civilians were held to the same standard for anything. Tell the voices in your head to get it right. And yes we are a nation of laws, but only an old buffoon robocop looks at laws as infallible, black and white and applicable to all situations. People who think understand life is about grey area.
And only a snot-nosed punk kid thinks the laws aren't applicable to him. When you grow up, you'll actually understand and appreciate the concept of law and order.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
And only a snot-nosed punk kid thinks the laws aren't applicable to him. When you grow up, you'll actually understand and appreciate the concept of law and order.
Who said I was young (well maybe compared to you I am oldtimer) or that I dontthink laws apply to me? Are the voices talking to you again?

Old 12-24-2010, 01:53 PM

142 posts, read 265,275 times
Quote:
It is not up to a civilian to use or not use "discretion" when interpreting the law in a case such as this. I think the point is that it is up to the police to make that determination and act accordingly. In this case, yes, tensions were high and one can see why White might have acted this way...but, in the end, he was WRONG in doing so. Call the cops, get in your house, hang onto your gun. But for God's sake, why the hell start shooting kids when verbal threats are the ONLY threat at that point?

Thank God there are still some sane people out there who THINK.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Who said I was young (well maybe compared to you I am oldtimer) or that I dontthink laws apply to me? Are the voices talking to you again?
Looks like you're having trouble understanding some of your own posts.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:57 PM

[quote=pdcnret;17125999]Looks like you're having trouble understanding some of your own posts.[/

Tell me where I said what you think I said...

Old 12-24-2010, 02:04 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
What part of the idea of arrest, trial and conviction don't you understand? White was arrested, tried by a jury of his peers, convicted and sentenced to prison. All exactly in accordance with my very informed legal analysis.

The fact that the governor chose to commute his sentence has nothing to do with the facts or the laws of the case. Governors have the power to commute sentences and issues pardons for people who have been lawfully convicted of a crime. Note that the Governor didn't pardon White, nor seek to void his conviction ... he simply commuted the sentence. That speaks volumes and indicates that the conviction was appropriate ... and still stands.
Well, if that is true then I guess one could say that this is one of those times where common sense prevails over the letter of the law.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:07 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Moving beyond this -- what happens when someone decides they feel threatened and takes the law into their own hands, killing another person in their driveway or on their front lawn? If the Korean man feels threatened by menacing looks and racially disparaging remarks by his black neighbor's teen son as he walks past the house, does that give him carte blanche to open fire?
Of course not. These kids announced their intentions. Therein lies the difference.

Quote:
If you knew anything about the use of deadly physical force, then you'd know that the laws are different for cops and civilians. Cops have a lot more latitude about employing the force. That's not "discretion"; it's law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I've been called and my family's been called things that I won't couldn't even begin to type here. I even had friends and family member's(some how found out where I lived) of people I locked up and made some serious death threats and some were in person. With that mind set of some I should have shot them all........but this is real life were talking here.
Aight, you two. There are a few things you are taking for granted here, like your training and its effects on your ability to keep cool and know what's for real and what isn't.

Many, if not most, civilians would react differently. Some would panic and go on the defensive, which is what it sounds like with White.

You fellas can quote the law all you want, but I look at it this way: If four drunk, testosterone-filled young men blocked my driveway and approached my domicile announcing their intent to rape or kill me me, do you really think I should just sit there and wait for them to bust my door down?

Would I call the police? Of course.

But it takes less than four minutes (your response time) to jump a woman and instigate a rape, four minutes that will stay with a woman for the rest of her life. It only takes a second to pull out a weapon and kill someone.

In the grand scheme of human experience, I'd rather be alive, and when it comes to what I'll be thinking about on my deathbed, I'd rather remember time in a court room than the horror of an attempted rape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island