U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,856 posts, read 17,126,862 times
Reputation: 6523

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Lots of tough talk here. And, as usual, the toughest talkers are woefully ignorant of the law. In New York State, as in the other 49 states, there is no ability to utilize deadly physical force on someone who is merely trespassing on real property. Same goes for making threats. In this state, a civilian is under a duty to retreat when confronted by a threat, unless he's IN his own home. Clearly, the proper course of action for White in this situation would have been to go inside his house and dial 911. Regrettably, he chose not to and illegally shot the teenager. With an illegally possessed handgun. Despite the media circus, the only part of this incident that is racially tinged is the Governor's decision to commute the sentence. Spota is absolutely right. A commutation of sentence for this type of crime, done in this manner, is unheard of.
Reps to you! When you're right, you're right.

 
Old 12-23-2010, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,856 posts, read 17,126,862 times
Reputation: 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
You cannot lawfully shoot someone for being on your lawn. Mr. White should have safely remained in his home until police arrived. There was no imminent danger to him or his family while they were inside and Cicciaro and company were outside.
Mr. White is lucky to be alive. What if someone in that group had been armed as well? What if the police arrived while John White was playing John Wayne on his front lawn armed with a gun? An armed man facing off against an unarmed man may be considered the aggressor and shot by police if he's not careful.
Both of them were beyond stupid but John White came out of his home and killed someone and should be in prison.
And the stereotype is that WOMEN are the ones who let their emotions rule their actions. Ha! If these two males weren't both such emotional wrecks and drama "kings" this whole stupid and horrible episode wouldn't have happened.
 
Old 12-23-2010, 08:18 PM
 
1,132 posts, read 1,568,580 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
You cannot lawfully shoot someone for being on your lawn. Mr. White should have safely remained in his home until police arrived. There was no imminent danger to him or his family while they were inside and Cicciaro and company were outside.
Mr. White is lucky to be alive. What if someone in that group had been armed as well? What if the police arrived while John White was playing John Wayne on his front lawn armed with a gun? An armed man facing off against an unarmed man may be considered the aggressor and shot by police if he's not careful.
Both of them were beyond stupid but John White came out of his home and killed someone and should be in prison.
Well then - I am thankful that he is not. In my eyes John White is an American Hero.
 
Old 12-23-2010, 08:32 PM
 
1,132 posts, read 1,568,580 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
You cannot lawfully shoot someone for being on your lawn. Mr. White should have safely remained in his home until police arrived. There was no imminent danger to him or his family while they were inside and Cicciaro and company were outside.
Mr. White is lucky to be alive. What if someone in that group had been armed as well? What if the police arrived while John White was playing John Wayne on his front lawn armed with a gun? An armed man facing off against an unarmed man may be considered the aggressor and shot by police if he's not careful.
Both of them were beyond stupid but John White came out of his home and killed someone and should be in prison.
Amadou Diallo - Shot and killed on the doorstep of his home. He was unarmed and committed no crime and had no history of crime. The four officers fired a total of 41 rounds. All four officers were acquitted. I wonder why the outrage was not as loud when this happened. This was just deemed an accident. Al Sharpton (whom I am not a fan of) was deemed a trouble maker. Al was right in this case.

BTW as of 9:30pm today, the Newsday Poll shows that 54% of the people felt that Gov was wrong. These same 54% (percentage is growing as the poll continues) probably felt that the Diallo murder was an accident and the officer's should have been acquited. Not even man slaughter. People have gone to jail for vehicle man-slaughter. 41 shots for the boys in blue = acquittal. Race has everything to do with it.
 
Old 12-23-2010, 08:44 PM
 
1,841 posts, read 1,466,872 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Lots of tough talk here. And, as usual, the toughest talkers are woefully ignorant of the law. In New York State, as in the other 49 states, there is no ability to utilize deadly physical force on someone who is merely trespassing on real property. Same goes for making threats. In this state, a civilian is under a duty to retreat when confronted by a threat, unless he's IN his own home. Clearly, the proper course of action for White in this situation would have been to go inside his house and dial 911. Regrettably, he chose not to and illegally shot the teenager. With an illegally possessed handgun. Despite the media circus, the only part of this incident that is racially tinged is the Governor's decision to commute the sentence. Spota is absolutely right. A commutation of sentence for this type of crime, done in this manner, is unheard of.

LOL.

Ignorant ehh..

Better not try that in Texas. You'd be dead and the cops would be commenting on your great center-mass groupings.

He should have been charged solely with illegal possession of a handgun (again, not that I agree with NY laws on that) and thats it. Plenty of trials prior showing that a group of people threatening bodily injury and refusing to leave is a convincing reason for self defense.
 
Old 12-23-2010, 08:47 PM
 
14 posts, read 3,663 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Amadou Diallo - Shot and killed on the doorstep of his home. He was unarmed and committed no crime and had no history of crime. The four officers fired a total of 41 rounds. All four officers were acquitted. I wonder why the outrage was not as loud when this happened. This was just deemed an accident. Al Sharpton (whom I am not a fan of) was deemed a trouble maker. Al was right in this case.

BTW as of 9:30pm today, the Newsday Poll shows that 54% of the people felt that Gov was wrong. These same 54% (percentage is growing as the poll continues) probably felt that the Diallo murder was an accident and the officer's should have been acquited. Not even man slaughter. People have gone to jail for vehicle man-slaughter. 41 shots for the boys in blue = acquittal. Race has everything to do with it.
The police have separate laws for themselves... They can shoot whoever they want without consequence but civilians cannot defend themselves against an angry gang threatening to rapes women and beat the beans out of your child... It's pathetic.
 
Old 12-23-2010, 08:49 PM
 
1,132 posts, read 1,568,580 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Reps to you! When you're right, you're right.
I have received rep pts on my comments.

And I know this arguement has already been made but I will say it anyway. If that thug kid were black and made the same threatening phone calls to the home of a white family on LI in Miller Place, and then drove to the white family's home with 4 other black thug's at 11pm at night, then got out the car acting violent and was shot by the white father - NO ONE ON THIS FORUM WOULD TAKE THE POSITION THAT HE WAS WRONG. PLEASE DO NOT LIE.

Last edited by mrdkb; 12-23-2010 at 09:00 PM..
 
Old 12-23-2010, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,838 posts, read 7,043,119 times
Reputation: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Who did the thug assault?
Who did the thug harm?
Did the thug have a history of harming innocents?
Was Mr. White being dragged out of his home?
Was Mr. White assaulted?
Did Mr. White call the police?

No. He shot a person who was outside of his home. There was no real threat to Mr. White, he is a murderer.
if it were the other way around i knwo for a fact this tune your singing would not be sung.
 
Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,838 posts, read 7,043,119 times
Reputation: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
It would be the decent thing to do, thats why. If someone murdered your kid then did less than a year in prison wouldn't you like to be notified?
you havnt given a answer to the thug yelling racial remarks and threatening to rape one of the family members.
 
Old 12-23-2010, 09:13 PM
 
1,132 posts, read 1,568,580 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
you havnt given a answer to the thug yelling racial remarks and threatening to rape one of the family members.
And they won't answer it. I get the same non-replies. And again, can you imagine if the trespassers were black. 4 black thugs; 11pm at night; a white family in Miller Place; threats of violence and rape. These people on this forum are biased. I want to just say they are outright racists but i do want my comments deleted. So I am not going to say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top