U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2010, 12:24 PM
 
326 posts, read 595,985 times
Reputation: 270

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post

Located at 58 Goose Hill Road, Kehillath Shalom is a Reconstructiioninst Jewish congregation in Huntington ("Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724" mailing address).
No. Addresses on Goose Hill Road are in Cold Spring Harbor, not Huntington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2010, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Long Island
9,038 posts, read 18,355,935 times
Reputation: 4745
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
No. Addresses on Goose Hill Road are in Cold Spring Harbor, not Huntington.
Most definitely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2010, 01:26 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 24,680,636 times
Reputation: 4450
According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, "58 Goose Hill Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724" is in the Huntington CDP and in the Cold Spring Harbor Central School District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2010, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Long Island
9,038 posts, read 18,355,935 times
Reputation: 4745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, "58 Goose Hill Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724" is in the Huntington CDP and in the Cold Spring Harbor Central School District.
Maybe it's antiquated/outdated??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2010, 02:00 PM
 
54 posts, read 136,590 times
Reputation: 29
You should definitely consider Great Neck as it has a bustling downtown unlike other upscale Long Island communities and the quick commute is a big plus and I seriously advise you to consider it despite its higher property taxes especially if a strong Jewish community is a priority. You may also like houses in the East Williston-Wheatley district and Jericho. Don't forget Roslyn or Jericho either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2010, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Long Island
9,038 posts, read 18,355,935 times
Reputation: 4745
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander329 View Post
You should definitely consider Great Neck as it has a bustling downtown unlike other upscale Long Island communities and the quick commute is a big plus and I seriously advise you to consider it despite its higher property taxes especially if a strong Jewish community is a priority. You may also like houses in the East Williston-Wheatley district and Jericho. Don't forget Roslyn or Jericho either...

Great Neck could work, however... housing stock in the preferred price range and property size is scarce at this point; and that's when it's a buyer's market

Jericho is nice, but doesn't really have a downtown, and commuting could be quite a drive to Hicksville IMHO
Roslyn could work, except it's on the Oyster Bay branch, and there are almost no trains where you don't have to change at Jamaica; what a pain that is--having to wait for connections, etc.

Just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2010, 03:49 PM
 
67 posts, read 149,509 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Great Neck could work, however... housing stock in the preferred price range and property size is scarce at this point; and that's when it's a buyer's market

Jericho is nice, but doesn't really have a downtown, and commuting could be quite a drive to Hicksville IMHO
Roslyn could work, except it's on the Oyster Bay branch, and there are almost no trains where you don't have to change at Jamaica; what a pain that is--having to wait for connections, etc.

Just my 2 cents
I agree on all of the above. My hubby doesn't want to transfer trains (I don't blame him) and he'll be commuting into NYC for work. The Great Neck area makes me nervous b/c I feel like it's sooo congested - and I really want to be away from that.

Right now we've narrowed our search to Summit, NJ (we have family near there) and to LI (we have lots of friends there). I have a feeling from all that was said above we'll focus our search on the CSH school district. We are headed out on Thursday to drive around the area. I hope I like it b/c I really don't want to have to tell people that I live in New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2010, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Randolph, NJ
265 posts, read 462,705 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Great Neck could work, however... housing stock in the preferred price range and property size is scarce at this point; and that's when it's a buyer's market

Jericho is nice, but doesn't really have a downtown, and commuting could be quite a drive to Hicksville IMHO
Roslyn could work, except it's on the Oyster Bay branch, and there are almost no trains where you don't have to change at Jamaica; what a pain that is--having to wait for connections, etc.

Just my 2 cents
I'm from Jericho originally and my dad commuted from Hicksville for years... it's not an issue IMO. Depends, as always, on your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2010, 05:37 PM
 
903 posts, read 2,986,520 times
Reputation: 390
i think that if you are commuting-transfering at jamaica would be a pain. my hubby likes to sleep his hour in from csh.

i like the town of huntington and csh better than great neck-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2010, 07:26 PM
 
7,658 posts, read 16,218,002 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNYC! View Post
I agree on all of the above. My hubby doesn't want to transfer trains (I don't blame him) and he'll be commuting into NYC for work. The Great Neck area makes me nervous b/c I feel like it's sooo congested - and I really want to be away from that.

Right now we've narrowed our search to Summit, NJ (we have family near there) and to LI (we have lots of friends there). I have a feeling from all that was said above we'll focus our search on the CSH school district. We are headed out on Thursday to drive around the area. I hope I like it b/c I really don't want to have to tell people that I live in New Jersey.

Why with all that great PR?

Good luck with CSH.

I still say give BV a peek if youre coming out that far East ....I really think you'll fall in love based on your original post.
http://www.babylonvillage.com/
The commuting options are really quite good.Ample express service.
The schedule is basically a wash.Keep in mind you can walk to BV rail too.
(Check out Argyle lake)

http://www.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/S...ffersonPJ4.pdf

http://www.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/S...BabylonBY5.pdf

Good luck in your hunt.CSH is great too.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 12-26-2010 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top