U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:54 PM

326 posts, read 595,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Maybe it's antiquated/outdated??
I grew up in CSH and Goose Hill Road has never been "in Huntington." Most likely, the FactFinder is just confused or the census arbitrarily decided to make the CDP line on the east side of the road in 2000 (which would be a stupid and wildly inaccurate call on their part). It is another border area which the FactFinder seems to have major issues with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 01:40 PM

54 posts, read 136,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Great Neck could work, however... housing stock in the preferred price range and property size is scarce at this point; and that's when it's a buyer's market

Jericho is nice, but doesn't really have a downtown, and commuting could be quite a drive to Hicksville IMHO
Roslyn could work, except it's on the Oyster Bay branch, and there are almost no trains where you don't have to change at Jamaica; what a pain that is--having to wait for connections, etc.

Just my 2 cents
Wow, you are very loyal to CSH and I respect that. There is no downtown in Jericho but the schools are outstanding, which you know, and depending on your needs, could be better than CSH given the fact as it's a larger school there are more offerings especially as the OP's children enter HS. (I know it's a long way away.) Using the Hicksville LIRR is really a non-issue and there are much more trains there since multiple lines go through it as CSH only has Huntington trains. Roslyn commuters can also use the Mineola which is a great option for commuting. I just don't want the OP to put all her eggs in the CSH basket because it's a small community and she may not find exactly what she is looking for.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNYC! View Post
You guys are awesome!
So.... I woke up this morning to have ALL of our appointments for Thursday canceled due to the snow. Wow - this storm was A LOT worse than we thought it was going to be!

Oh well... I guess we'll check out the CSH area at a later date Now we need to reschedule everything. Boo. I guess this is just another reason why real estate shopping in the winter sucks!
Welcome to the neighborhood (hopefully)! Once the snow has melted be sure to check out some of the local offerings beyond the houses you look at such as Huntington Village, the beautiful CSH Library, some of the local parks, and the nature Conservancy's Uplands Farm (great for walks and running).

While CSH school district seems to offer what you're looking for, I wouldn't shy away from Huntington or South Huntington Schools if you happen upon a home or neighborhood you like. Academically they are on par with CSH and Harborfields, save for the fact that the significantly larger and more diverse student bodies of the high schools bring down the overall on-paper test scores (there is a sizable ESL community in both districts). If your kids end up in an honors track (where most kids with parents who are concerned about education end up) they will be getting a fine public education. Because of their larger sizes both districts are able to offer programs and courses the smaller districts cannot. It is common for CSH kids to take AP classes at Huntington High School.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:00 PM
HI7

7 posts, read 20,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Are you referring to the Village of Great Neck or any of the 9 villages and 4 hamlets -- the Village of Great Neck, the Village of Great Neck Estates, the Hamlet of Great Neck Gardens, the Village of Great Neck Plaza, the Hamlet of Harbor Hills, the Village of Kensington, the Village of Kings Point, the Village of Lake Success, the Village of Russell Gardens, the Village of Saddle Rock, the Hamlet of Saddle Rock Estates, the Village of Thomaston and the Hamlet of University Gardens -- within the "Great Neck, NY 11020-11024" ZIP Code postal zones?
Any of the 9 9 villages and 4 hamlets

Old 12-27-2010, 03:36 PM

67 posts, read 149,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
Welcome to the neighborhood (hopefully)! Once the snow has melted be sure to check out some of the local offerings beyond the houses you look at such as Huntington Village, the beautiful CSH Library, some of the local parks, and the nature Conservancy's Uplands Farm (great for walks and running).

While CSH school district seems to offer what you're looking for, I wouldn't shy away from Huntington or South Huntington Schools if you happen upon a home or neighborhood you like. Academically they are on par with CSH and Harborfields, save for the fact that the significantly larger and more diverse student bodies of the high schools bring down the overall on-paper test scores (there is a sizable ESL community in both districts). If your kids end up in an honors track (where most kids with parents who are concerned about education end up) they will be getting a fine public education. Because of their larger sizes both districts are able to offer programs and courses the smaller districts cannot. It is common for CSH kids to take AP classes at Huntington High School.
Hi there H-tonian - did your kids go to school in the Huntington district?

Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNYC! View Post
Hi there H-tonian - did your kids go to school in the Huntington district?
Hello! I live in Cold Spring Hills (South Huntington SD), but my kids all attend/attended private school. This isn't really a reflection on the public SD though. Had we lived is CS Harbor or Jericho SD they still would have gone to private school. Most of my neighbors do use the public schools though and have have some great kids with very bright futures. Several of my nieces and nephews went to Huntington High School (district 3) between 1998-2008, and went on to Weil Cornell Med, Stanford, NYU, and Columbia. They had very positive experiences at Huntington. Not that the SDs are in anyway perfect. As I said, they are quite large and include a very diverse ethnic and socio-economic population. They will go to school with children from the less desirable areas of Huntington Station. Some see this as more reflective of the real world community in the Huntington area (and the larger world our kids will be sent off to after 12th grade). Some see it as well, frightening.

I'm an alumnus of CSH High and also have nieces that currently attend who are very happy. It's a wonderful district. Beautiful campuses. Small classes. Small community. Plenty of activities (although not as many as the neighboring districts). It's also not perfect though. You'll commonly hear people say the High School is "more like a prep school." It's really not...still a public school with a public school approach to education. There are well known discipline problems. There can be a cliquey exclusionary attitude (which is funny because it mainly comes from newer residents, not the people whose families predate the hamlet's tony brand name rep). Test scores are excellent, but that's almost always the case when you sample kids from a well-educated affluent community.

Either way. Have a look around and see what suits you. CSH and the larger Huntington area is a wonderful place to raise a family (and great fun for the adults too!). I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 PM

9,037 posts, read 18,351,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander329 View Post
Wow, you are very loyal to CSH and I respect that. There is no downtown in Jericho but the schools are outstanding, which you know, and depending on your needs, could be better than CSH given the fact as it's a larger school there are more offerings especially as the OP's children enter HS.
I admit to liking CSH a lot . As a 17-yr resident of the area, I've gotten to know it well.
However, when I suggested it, it was merely because it's an area that satisfies ALL of the OPs requests; Jericho does not.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:38 AM

748 posts, read 2,465,168 times
The Hicksville train station is only 1.5 to 3 mile from Jericho, depending on where you live in Jericho and has the most service on the main line. Parking at Hicksville will get better once they finish the new garage near the station, but if you are getting into the station at 6am parking should be fine. Jericho has no downtown type areas, but the shopping at nearby Whole foods etc is still very convenient. Schools are rated better than CSH schools though ( and based on different rankings, Jericho tops every school in Long Island).

I am surprised no one mentioned Garden City. I saw a Jewish center in the Estates section of GC, but my understanding is GC is mostly a Catholic neighborhood. Is that why GC was not mentioned?

Also, based on my last look at listings, 1M is still lower end of many homes in the CSH school district.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 PM

461 posts, read 1,383,979 times
Northern Syosset has some amazing homes, very close to LIRR, though you would have to drive 10-15 min to downtown Huntington or <10 min to Oyster Bay for a villlage. Taxes are very high though, at least compared to Suffolk.
Great schools and shave a few minutes off commute from CSH.
CSH is a really nice area though, just giving you another option.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:56 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,854,641 times
North Syosset is the perfect choice on all your criteria except for its ugly downtown area. Things are a bit pricey so you might be disappointed at what you can get for 1.2 mill. Garden City, except perhaps for the religion issue, has equally excellent schools, a cuter downtown, and a far superior commute. CSH commute is substantially longer than Manhasset, Port Washington, Roslyn, or Garden City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or