Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:56 AM

67 posts, read 178,112 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for all the replies. A few people have mentioned the CSH area to us and we are definitely going to look there. We've heard that Huntington schools aren't that great, though. Anyone have any opinions regarding that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 06:10 AM

177 posts, read 470,897 times
Some of the schools in Huntington are very good!

Old 12-24-2010, 06:12 AM

Which ones?

Old 12-24-2010, 06:40 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNYC! View Post
Thanks so much for all the replies. A few people have mentioned the CSH area to us and we are definitely going to look there. We've heard that Huntington schools aren't that great, though. Anyone have any opinions regarding that?
Do Cold Spring Harbor Schools. The Lloyd Harbor area of Huntington goes there. Huntington Schools are meh and theres a ton of drama up in Huntington Station so you may want to stay away.While youre there take Park Ave south to Babylon Village,If you didnt fall in love in Huntington Im sure you will fall in love wth Babylon.

Tough to beat, great downtown, QOL and fires on all your prerequisites.

Its the furthest east you can go with the best express commute on the LIRR due to the Hub for Montauk line.Go see and let us know.

Ive worked in Huntington and lived in Babylon and Im a North Shore guy ....but with that being said I still give the slight edge to BV.

BV Schools schools blow Huntington away but CSH trumps all in Suffolk.

Crooks

Old 12-24-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelabella View Post
Some of the schools in Huntington are very good!

Yes there called Cold Spring Harbor

Old 12-24-2010, 06:47 AM

Crooks - thanks for the info. We are checking out out some homes in CSH next week. As per your rec, we will also visit Babylon. My husband is a North Shore guys as well, but he isn't familiar w/ the Babylon area.

I just feel that if we are spending in excess of $20K on freakin property taxes, I want the BEST schools. You know?

Old 12-24-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Huntington Schools are Subpar, I wouldnt touch anything under a 7 on GS.
Huntington Union Free School District in Huntington Station, NY | GreatSchools
5?

South Huntington Union Free School District in Huntington Station, NY | GreatSchools
6?

Looks like its CSH or Harborfields for the area.

Cold Spring Harbor Central School District in Cold Spring Harbor, NY | GreatSchools

Harborfields Central School District in Greenlawn, NY | GreatSchools

To the south I would check out Babylon Village and West Islip.

Babylon Union Free School District in Babylon, NY | GreatSchools

West Islip Union Free School District in West Islip, NY | GreatSchools

Oak Neck is drop dead gorgeous and well within your price range.

Good luck

Crooks

Old 12-24-2010, 06:51 AM

Hmmm... Babylon is out. Train is coming in at 63-75 minutes. We are def maxed out at 60 mins. I know that sounds silly, but our orig "wishlist" was a 30 minute train. We can only get the 30-40 min commute in Westchester - 60 is by far the max for LI.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:

A quick buyer beware

Anti-Gang Advisory Committee Formed to Curb Crime in Huntington Station - Huntington, NY Patch

Last edited by Crookhaven; 12-24-2010 at 07:19 AM..

Old 12-24-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Hmmm... Babylon is out. Train is coming in at 63-75 minutes. We are def maxed out at 60 mins. I know that sounds silly, but our orig "wishlist" was a 30 minute train. We can only get the 30-40 min commute in Westchester - 60 is by far the max for LI.
Ok.

I think you'll may find Hutington to be a very similar commute.
I guess it all comes down to loving what youre coming home to.

No address is listed for this West Islip, Ny 11795 Home - Real Estate - MLS #2333932 - Realtor.com®

I could get over the extra 8 minutes for this.

Babylon, Ny 11702 home with no address listed - Homes for Sale - MLS #2277122 - Realtor.com®

Factor in being closer to the station when you get off and its probably a wash.
Go see.

Good luck

Crooks

FWIW the 609a gets in at 703a, I used to take the Express to Jamaica then the Express E to Lex in about an hour.Its wasnt too bad.
If youre doing north stick with CSH.

Last edited by Crookhaven; 12-24-2010 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island