U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What would you consider "Too Far" out on Long Island?
A- (Blue) Nassau/Suffolk Border 22 37.93%
B- (Red) Smithtown/Islip 13 22.41%
C- (Gray) Sound Beach/Medford 11 18.97%
D- (Yellow) Baiting Hollow/Westhampton 4 6.90%
E- (Green) Southold/East Hampton/Montauk 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2010, 03:51 PM

182 posts, read 256,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
YES - I would rather live in Uniondale or Elmont than Middle Island. Both of them aren't anywhere near as bad as their reputation, but even if they were I'd rather dodge bullets than die of boredom. That's my own personal preference, I'm not saying one is inherently better than the other....though if crime is the key issue, I don't think there is as much difference between those two places as most people assume.
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...stem-1.1393634

According to the above link, Roosevelt & Uniondale are the two most dangerous places in Nassau County. As a single man, dodging bullets might seem more exciting when compared to the quiet, suburban life of a married homeowner with children. A responsible parent might decide against placing their family in dangerous area, if they can afford to.

Quote:
I don't understand why not being able to see your neighbors' home or having to take a 15 minute drive to the gas station gives the aura of safety, but a lot of people certainly buy into it.
Speaking only for myself, it has nothing todo with an aura of safety. Having been raised in Nassau, within an area congested and chock full of development houses on ridiculously small lots, I wanted breathing room. The idea of having neighbors 20' from either side of the house, minute front lawns, rows of tiny fenced in yards did not appeal to me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 05:55 PM

3,173 posts, read 3,484,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Actually were getting the 516ers as seen by OP.
Not sure what that means. 516ers from JIW's graffiti vid in greenvale?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:00 PM

7,658 posts, read 11,117,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Not sure what that means. 516ers from JIW's graffiti vid in greenvale?

Um people with a 516 ac....where were you going?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:15 PM

15,856 posts, read 17,116,131 times
Quote:
Actually were getting the 516ers as seen by OP.
You've always been getting the 516'ers. I didn't know Pequaman was moving to 631.

But you're also getting the 718'ers and upper upper 212'ers skipping straight over 516 to the more "affordable" 631 areas. Nassau has no homes below 6 figures, nor whole neighborhoods of cheap rental homes whose whole business philosophy is in accepting section 8. The "bottom" is more likely to skip over all of Nassau due to affordability issues, not perch themselves right over the Nassau/Queens border as you seem to think they do. The "bottom" cannot afford to. Look at the prices of homes, prices of real estate taxes, and lack of cheap rentals on the border of Nassau and Queens for evidence of that.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 12-27-2010 at 06:25 PM..

Old 12-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone View Post
Speaking only for myself, it has nothing todo with an aura of safety. Having been raised in Nassau, within an area congested and chock full of development houses on ridiculously small lots, I wanted breathing room. The idea of having neighbors 20' from either side of the house, minute front lawns, rows of tiny fenced in yards did not appeal to me.
Do you really think every neighborhood in Nassau is like that? I would say neighborhoods like that with such narrow lots and small yards are the minority in Nassau. I guess it depends how much breathing room you want when it comes to Suffolk. I am different in that I don't like too much breathing room ... don't like dark areas with few or no streetlights, no sidewalks, and woods around my house where anyone can hide.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You've always been getting the 516'ers. I didn't know Pequaman was moving to 631.

But you're also getting the 718'ers and upper upper 212'ers skipping straight over 516 to the more "affordable" 631 areas. Nassau has no homes below 6 figures, nor whole neighborhoods of cheap rental homes whose whole business philosophy is in accepting section 8. The "bottom" is more likely to skip over all of Nassau due to affordability issues, not perch themselves right over the Nassau/Queens border as you seem to think they do. The "bottom" cannot afford to.

You know I love ya LI but youre in an alternate reality if you dont see Nassau turning into Queens and Suffolk turning into Nassau.

The last piece of real, untarnished LI is out on the forks and its just a rich mans playground.

Lets just agree to disagree, but youre wrong on all counts.

Crooks
PS
Perhaps that 4 hour commute will pay dividends after all.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Do you really think every neighborhood in Nassau is like that? I would say neighborhoods like that with such narrow lots and small yards are the minority in Nassau. I guess it depends how much breathing room you want when it comes to Suffolk. I am different in that I don't like too much breathing room ... don't like dark areas with few or no streetlights, no sidewalks, and woods around my house where anyone can hide.
City gal.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
You know I love ya LI but youre in an alternate reality if you dont see Nassau turning into Queens and Suffolk turning into Nassau.

The last piece of real, untarnished LI is out on the forks and its just a rich mans playground.

Lets just agree to disagree, but youre wrong on all counts.

Crooks
PS
Perhaps that 4 hour commute will pay dividends after all.
Yes, as the population grows and many move east, Nassau and Suffolk are growing too. I don't dispute that.

Well, it looks like you see Nassau turning into southside Jamaica or Far Rockaway rather than closer to Bayside or Forest Hills and that's where I take issue.

Maybe you are much older than me and remember Nassau when it was as quiet and rural as far east Suffolk is now and can truly grieve for it or have relatives who used to live in Nassau back then who told you about it. I can't miss what I don't remember!

I am not a fan of the Hamptons because they are so commercialized and focused on the big money. I love the North Fork for its tranquil beauty but see it more as a place I like to take day trips to than a place I want to live in 24-7-365. But even idyllic Greenport has its "sketchy" section. (Oops. I did it again.)

Old 12-27-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
City gal.
True!

I didn't even vote in this poll because choice A was too far out for my purposes ...

Old 12-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
True!

I didn't even vote in this poll because choice A was too far out for my purposes ...
Love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island