Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:22 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times

Advertisements

Auxology, or the study of human growth, suggests that average height reflects the overall health of a population-its diet, wealth, quality of housing, levels of pollution, disease, and stress-particularly for infants and adolescents.

Those that are poor, have a weak family and low self esteem tend to be shorter. Conversely those that grew up in a clean home, healthy, with love and good family relations grow up tall and strong. Those from upper class homes surely grew up with wealth, in a high quality environment, so they have every chance to grow tall. Their growth is a reflection of their health and confidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
what does height have to do with class? I'm confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 09:43 PM

63 posts, read 218,439 times
You people are confusing socio economic class with having "class" or being "classy". Socio-Economic class consists of wealth, education, career and power, including but not exclusive to income. Class depends on a number of issues including the above mentioned along with many other factors such as, family lineage, what clubs you belong to etc. Class is a taboo topic in America, considering that the ruling capitalist class likes to paint the picture of America being a society without social classes, with mostly a middle class population. The truth is that America is a working class country with a 62% working class population, 36% middle class and 2% upper class. The real division of these classes depends on power, and power depends on everything else mentioned above.

Income does not define class, but no working class person is earning over $100k a year even as dual income, the numbers I see on here are a little skewed. A couple earning over $100k would be categorized as middle class for the most part but not in all cases of course. Also, wealth and income are not the same thing.

If you are really interested in the topic, read the book "The Working Class Majority: America’s Best Kept Secret" By Michael Zweig P.h.d, who is a professor at stony brook university.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:43 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times
May I also suggest "Class" by Paul Fussell.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:45 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
May I also suggest "Somebody Moved My Cheese" and "Titanic".
C

Old 07-17-2007, 12:48 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateny View Post
You people are confusing socio economic class with having "class" or being "classy". Socio-Economic class consists of wealth, education, career and power, including but not exclusive to income. Class depends on a number of issues including the above mentioned along with many other factors such as, family lineage, what clubs you belong to etc. Class is a taboo topic in America, considering that the ruling capitalist class likes to paint the picture of America being a society without social classes, with mostly a middle class population. The truth is that America is a working class country with a 62% working class population, 36% middle class and 2% upper class. The real division of these classes depends on power, and power depends on everything else mentioned above.

Income does not define class, but no working class person is earning over $100k a year even as dual income, the numbers I see on here are a little skewed. A couple earning over $100k would be categorized as middle class for the most part but not in all cases of course. Also, wealth and income are not the same thing.

If you are really interested in the topic, read the book "The Working Class Majority: America’s Best Kept Secret" By Michael Zweig P.h.d, who is a professor at stony brook university.
We're doomed on LI.

100k only buys 3% of the affordable housing.

Here's the real kicker...

The top 2% hold 50% of the wealth in the USA today.

I'd say Class revolt (We coukd start with Muttontown) except were all too busy working.

C

Old 07-17-2007, 03:51 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
My dad is short, we were considered upper-middle class. What does that say? There are plenty of successful short people in this world. That's an awfully strange thing to say.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:03 PM

106 posts, read 578,407 times
I am 5 foot 2 am i short? is height subjective when it comes to class?

Old 07-17-2007, 06:16 PM

138 posts, read 600,586 times
I would like to know the real FACTS here.

What is really considered
Middle
Upper middle
Wealthy?

How does one determine this?

Seriously.

Who is making this stuff up?

According to these facts............. I'm EXTREMELY CLASSY (I'm a 5'11" woman)AND EXTREMELY WEALTHY.. WOW... I didn't know this..

Sometimes I have to seriously laugh at some of these replies.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:36 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times
Sure there are exceptions to the height rule, but look, most recent Presidents or Presidential contenders have been over six-foot: G.H.W. Bush, G.W. Bush, John Kerry. Also, all three were Yale graduates and members of skull-and-bones. Bill Clinton is also well over six-foot, but not originally from the upper class.

Class is the most sensitive of issues, probably more than race. This is because most people fancy themselves as being part of the Middle Class. However, most Americans are part of the working class.

It is hard thing for most people to accept. Why? because our government and media wants us to believe we are more affluent than we actually are so we will not cry for higher progressive income taxes, job security, health insurance, good pensions or six weeks of vacation time. The truth is suburbia was built on the illusion that the working class could be "little kings and queens" on their quarter acre lots. Suburbia was also made possible by the philosophy and programs of the New Deal which emphasized a fair redistribution of wealth. Levittown was affordable because men had good paying jobs, often unionized. The cost of living in suburbia was a bargain because it was subsidized by the government. Today we have a government that is undermining at every turn the relative affluence of the so called middle class which is really just the working class living better than ever.

How do you know if you are part of the working class?
1. Look out your window, do you or any of your neighbors drive a pick-up, work-van or work-truck.
2. Are there any boats parked in front of any of the homes in your neighborhood. Do people work on their cars in their driveways or worse, in the street.
3. Do you or your neighbors smoke cigarettes in front of the house or worse, they smoke Parliaments. Filterless Chesterfields at least harken to the struggles of the World War II generation.
4. Do you have tatoos on your arms where others could see.
5. Can you wear a t-shirt, jeans, a baseball cap and boots to work or worse, do you have to wear a uniform to work. Perhaps a name tag.
6. Do you own a muscle car, motorcycle, or lower still a big rig 4x4.
7. Do you like Nascar, WWF, Bowling. Is there a bowling alley near you?
8. You have a glass cabinet in your house full of Disney collectibles, or Precious Moments Collectibles or some other mass produced collectible that you think will be worth money in the future.
9. Are you fat or I guess the politically correct term would be size challenged.
10. You wear legible clothing - as a walking free advertisement for the NY Yankees, Disney, Coke, etc...

Old 07-17-2007, 07:12 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
I learned thru some sociology class in college that height and built are one of the physical attributes of a great leader. I dont remember it having to do with class..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island