Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,767,980 times

Advertisements

Hi there
Recently my 12 year old had dental surgery. When we were on our way out of the dental office, the dentist handed me a perscription for vicodin for pain. I was totally surprised. My son is just 12 and already the dentist is pushing a strong pain med for him.

I did have it filled but did not give him one. He had motrin for pain and only when he needed it ; actually he mostly forgot to ask for it.

Does anyone else feel that vicodin is a little much for a 12 year old. One hears all the time about kids getting hooked on these meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 04:58 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,683,280 times
Vicodin is primarily Tylenol with just a small amount of some useless narcotic. My doctor called it the biggest scam around. I have used it for dental pain and it really doesnt work any more than OTC meds.

So are you worried your son is going to be a drug abuser already. Bit of helicopter parenting there!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:22 AM

36 posts, read 43,274 times
Helicopter parenting for not wanting to give her son a script known for being very addictive and a gateway to illegal drugs? Please tell me you are joking or childless.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:27 AM

177 posts, read 469,727 times
I had dental surgery a few months ago and wasn't given a precription for anything! Would I have liked something? Probably. Would I have taken the vidicon? Probably not. I have never tried it and be too nervous about how it would moe me feel. I don't understand why something like that would be so addictive. Why can't people be addicted to good deeds and kindness? It seems that some would search High and low for a fix. This world has become insane!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 AM

903 posts, read 3,569,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

So are you worried your son is going to be a drug abuser already. Bit of helicopter parenting there!!!
Please...........

I wouldnt have given my 12 yr old vicodin either. My daughter had her tonsils out and a polyp removed and was given tylenol with codeine for the pain. I have it a couple of times but then went to just regular tylenol.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Vicodin is primarily Tylenol with just a small amount of some useless narcotic. My doctor called it the biggest scam around. I have used it for dental pain and it really doesnt work any more than OTC meds.

No, I dont think helicopter parenting at all sorry. I think that I have a child that is only 12 and I am not willing to give them a med that I feel is totally inappropriate for him. It is still a narcotic as you said above.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
No, I dont think helicopter parenting at all sorry. I think that I have a child that is only 12 and I am not willing to give them a med that I feel is totally inappropriate for him. It is still a narcotic as you said above.
So you prefer your child be in pain rather than use a safe drug to relieve his discomfort? Since when is taking a prescription drug the automatic road to drug addiction. Using a drug as prescribed while in pain does not normally lead to addiction.

Please try to be a better informed before doubting professional judgement.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack50 View Post
Helicopter parenting for not wanting to give her son a script known for being very addictive and a gateway to illegal drugs? Please tell me you are joking or childless.
Just like marijuana, right?

Since when is Tylenol addictive. We are not talking Oxycontin here!!! Most abusers of vicodin are taking large quantities and/or mixing it with other drugs to get high.

Parents need to speak with professional medical people before trying to play physician/pharmacist.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 AM

I did say I was giving him motrin which he has taken before and it worked. I would never ever keep my child in pain.

I was just commenting on the fact that a dentist gave a script for Vicodin to a 12 year old. In my opinion, and its only my opinion, I think that vicodin is too strong for a child.
I am not playing physican, just trying to be a concerned parent.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,302,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I did say I was giving him motrin which he has taken before and it worked. I would never ever keep my child in pain.

I was just commenting on the fact that a dentist gave a script for Vicodin to a 12 year old. In my opinion, and its only my opinion, I think that vicodin is too strong for a child.
I am not playing physican, just trying to be a concerned parent.
I'm not trying to make fun...just curious...is your child overweight? usually doses of medicines are based upon one's weight.

I would say if your child is puny as hell (like I am), probably vicodin is too strong. I'm 29 years old and I am thin...I wouldn't take it for myself. Had I been bigger, perhaps I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island