Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:27 PM

19 posts, read 77,895 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a teacher finishing graduate school in Boston this spring and have to make a decision of whether to stay up in this area or move back to Long Island where my family is. All else aside (assume job opportunities exist in both locations), where on Long Island is a good place for young professionals to live? That is to say: affordable, young population, some sort of nightlife, access to NYC, etc... My family is from Huntington and it is a fun town however I find it to be very expensive! Any suggestions? My concern about moving back to LI is that I would miss the city feel of Boston and the fun that comes with it. Thanks for your help

-Jim

Edit: Huntington is expensive but disregard that comment for now. My question is based more on what towns are for young people like myself! Thanks

Last edited by jimbo87; 01-11-2011 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 04:33 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,345 times
Babylon Village, nice, may remind you of certain parts of Boston with shops, bars, downtown feel etc. Good trains to NYC.

Huntington was my first thought, but you know that well.

Looking to rent first? what's your price range?

Some people here can steer you well.

Last edited by gag; 01-11-2011 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: add about the trains

Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,167,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo87 View Post
Hello,

I am a teacher finishing graduate school in Boston this spring and have to make a decision of whether to stay up in this area or move back to Long Island where my family is. All else aside (assume job opportunities exist in both locations), where on Long Island is a good place for young professionals to live? That is to say: affordable, young population, some sort of nightlife, access to NYC, etc... My family is from Huntington and it is a fun town however I find it to be very expensive! Any suggestions? My concern about moving back to LI is that I would miss the city feel of Boston and the fun that comes with it. Thanks for your help

-Jim
Albeit further out.

How about Patchogue? Sayville? Port Jefferson?
If you think Huntingtons expensive.

Long Beach is the standard answer but I imagine its similar in cost

Old 01-11-2011, 04:48 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,866 times
long beach, huntington and Rockville center are the first places to come to mind

Old 01-11-2011, 04:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo87 View Post
Hello,

-Jim

Edit: Huntington is expensive but disregard that comment for now. My question is based more on what towns are for young people like myself! Thanks
What kind of work are you planning to do if you move back to Long Island?

If you want to be a public school teacher, you had better think of something else (unless you have connections in one of the school districts or teachers' unions):

Teachers Facing Weakest Market in Years
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/ny...0teachers.html

Quote:
The Port Washington District on Long Island is sorting through 3,620 applications for eight positions — the largest pool the superintendent has seen in his 41-year career.

Even hard-to-fill specialties are no longer so hard to fill. Jericho, N.Y., has 963 people to choose from for five spots in special education, more than twice as many as in past years.
As for the "city feel" you seek -- you will not find it on Long Island. Whenever people come on C-D asking about a place with more of an "upscale walkable urban vibe," Huntington is #1 answer. Since you know Huntington very well, think of it compared to your experience of Boston, because that is the place LI'ers most often recommend as the closest to "fun and urban." Another stock answer is Long Beach, especially for younger people, although it is, like Huntington, not what you would call affordable either.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:00 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,382 times
West End Long Beach is your best bet.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:10 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,167,984 times
Im serious...I think Patchogue Village has merit.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im serious...I think Patchogue Village has merit.
Merit as compared to the city feel of Boston???

The OP said:

My concern about moving back to LI is that I would miss the city feel of Boston and the fun that comes with it.

I think the OP is barking up the wrong tree. He will not find what he wants in Nassau or Suffolk. I would steer him to Brooklyn, Queens, etc.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Merit as compared to the city feel of Boston???

The OP said:

My concern about moving back to LI is that I would miss the city feel of Boston and the fun that comes with it.

I think the OP is barking up the wrong tree. He will not find what he wants in Nassau or Suffolk. I would steer him to Brooklyn, Queens, etc.
Let's not forget NYC is less than an hour away in some parts of LI. We're not talking about rural America here.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 PM

74 posts, read 207,400 times
In the current economic climate, you are definitely going to have an issue getting a job. I doubt many school districts are hiring and since there were so many layoffs last year, the market is flooded with experienced teachers. One site I recommend you check out is OLAS JOBS to get your resume to all parts of Long Island. Hope that helps. If you truly are qualified, and a good teacher, you will get a job. Just be persistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island