U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 AM
 
8,681 posts, read 7,277,488 times
Reputation: 14924
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Deps go through the same academy as SCPD.

Simply hire more deps and don't hire SCPD to fill holes in staffing. The county does not even legally have to have it's own police force according to the state.

I'm fully aware that any ideas that end with SCPD making less money or losing jobs will be met with "no, can't do that, nope, no good, nope" from the SCPBA and it's supporters. The highway patrol situation proves that they are wrong.
Again, highway duty is one thing, detective work is another. Again, deps sign on to be deps, not cops. Again, they have their own unions. Again, calling the sky green does not make it so.

If your final paragraph is meant to imply that I am a member of the SCPBA or one of its supporters, you might want to reconsider your logic.

[mod] snip [/mod]. I'd LOVE for people in the sheriff's department to make as much as cops, because you can bet that if Hades froze over and you somehow managed to get them assigned to do police work, they'd sic their unions on you so fast your head would spin, and they'd get what they want. Money talks. B.S. walks. You may not like it, but reality is reality.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-19-2011 at 04:35 PM..

 
Old 01-19-2011, 08:46 AM
 
7,259 posts, read 7,392,119 times
Reputation: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Again, highway duty is one thing, detective work is another. Again, deps sign on to be deps, not cops. Again, they have their own unions. Again, calling the sky green does not make it so.

If your final paragraph is meant to imply that I am a member of the SCPBA or one of its supporters, you might want to reconsider your logic.

But hey, bring it. I'd LOVE for people in the sheriff's department to make as much as cops, because you can bet that if Hades froze over and you somehow managed to get them assigned to do police work, they'd sic their unions on you so fast your head would spin, and they'd get what they want. Money talks. B.S. walks. You may not like it, but reality is reality.
People don't come out of the academy and do detective work. A Sheriff doing standard police work 5 years out of the academy would have as much experience as SCPD 5 years out of the academy. You wouldn't go in an fire all detectives, you simply pull increasing numbers of detectives form the ranks of the Sheriffs as they gain experience, and eventually none from SCPD, and they are phased out. You're making a strawman argument.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Keeper; 01-19-2011 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: discuss the topic
 
Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 AM
 
8,681 posts, read 7,277,488 times
Reputation: 14924
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
People don't come out of the academy and do detective work. A Sheriff doing standard police work 5 years out of the academy has as much experience as SCPD 5 years out of the academy. Strawman argument.

[mod] snip [/mod]
Tell you what: You write to Albany and make your proposal. Better yet, stand around Smith Haven Mall with a clipboard getting signatures, first. Then report back and let us know what kind of response you get.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-19-2011 at 04:36 PM..
 
Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 AM
 
938 posts, read 993,401 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Who said something about marching around Smithhaven Mall with a sign? The personal snipes started with you.

I state what your position is. If it isn't accurate, state otherwise.

We know some people don't want this discussion to happen, and they dread the fact that it's stickied at the top of the forum. I hope that the powers that be can see the MO of some people here.
And they can start with you. You and the regular cast aren't interested in discussing anything. You just want to push your same agenda, over and over and over again. We all know it by heart by now. The whole thing really getting very tiresome. How about moving on to something else.
 
Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 AM
 
7,259 posts, read 7,392,119 times
Reputation: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
And they can start with you. You and the regular cast aren't interested in discussing anything. You just want to push your same agenda, over and over and over again. We all know it by heart by now. The whole thing really getting very tiresome. How about moving on to something else.
Okay, I'll stop. It'll still be at the top of the forum though.


 
Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 AM
 
8,681 posts, read 7,277,488 times
Reputation: 14924
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Who said something about marching around Smithhaven Mall with a sign? The personal snipes started with you.

I state what your position is. If it isn't accurate, state otherwise.

We know some people don't want this discussion to happen, and they dread the fact that it's stickied at the top of the forum. I hope that the powers that be can see the MO of some people here.
That wasn't a snipe (and it wasn't marching with a sign, but standing with a clipboard getting signatures). I'm serious. If you believe that your idea has merit, then you should suggest it to the powers that be and see what happens. I would also like to know what kind of response you get. I have a hunch that you won't like what they tell you, but that is neither here nor there.

As for my position, sorry, but you don't get to state that for me. You made a suggestion, I countered it by telling you why it is unrealistic. Everything else is nothing more than inferring on your part.

If you want to talk about the idea, please do. Everything else will get the red triangle. That's the beauty of a sticky. It makes things easier.
 
Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 AM
 
7,259 posts, read 7,392,119 times
Reputation: 2846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
That wasn't a snipe (and it wasn't marching with a sign, but standing with a clipboard getting signatures). I'm serious. If you believe that your idea has merit, then you should suggest it to the powers that be and see what happens. I would also like to know what kind of response you get. I have a hunch that you won't like what they tell you, but that is neither here nor there.

As for my position, sorry, but you don't get to state that for me. You made a suggestion, I countered it by telling you why it is unrealistic. Everything else is nothing more than inferring on your part.

If you want to talk about the idea, please do. Everything else will get the red triangle. That's the beauty of a sticky. It makes things easier.

I always love this.

"Why don't you stop complaining here and do something about it?"

#1 you have no way of knowing who has contacted their reps about what, so your point is 100% strawman, argumentative, and contributes nothing to the discussion, it's a subtle way of saying "tough luck" to someone you don't agree with.

Why don't you stop complaining about people talking about police comp and DO something about it..other than hitting the red triangle.

#2 having this forum at the top of a very public forum IS doing something about it. If someone hears through the grapevine that the SCPBA is hosing LI taxpayers, maybe they see the PBA's heart string pulling commercials during the next contract talks and they look up the subject on google. Maybe it links here. Maybe they see other links posted here that show how high police comp is. Then they realize that, contrary to what the PBA propaganda commercials say, Suffolk Cops DO get paid too much, regardless of what the PBA thinks.

Then THEY contact their reps.

This is exactly why some people want every thread about his subject shut down, because they don't want the subject talked about.
 
Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Wellsville, Glurt County
2,846 posts, read 6,033,506 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
And they can start with you. You and the regular cast aren't interested in discussing anything. You just want to push your same agenda, over and over and over again. We all know it by heart by now. The whole thing really getting very tiresome. How about moving on to something else.
You know what I'm really interested in discussing - and this is a question I've thrown out there many times, but have yet to receive an answer on - outside of all the nepotism nonsense and accusations of bias, agendas, etc. ?

How do we get property taxes under control in Nassau & Suffolk counties without decreasing at least some of our civil servants' compensation levels to some degree? If there is a way to do that, and I just haven't heard of it or figured it out yet, I'm all for it. By all means - please enlighten me!
 
Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
 
8,681 posts, read 7,277,488 times
Reputation: 14924
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I always love this.

"Why don't you stop complaining here and do something about it?"

#1 you have no way of knowing who has contacted their reps about what, so your point is 100% strawman, argumentative, and contributes nothing to the discussion, it's a subtle way of saying "tough luck" to someone you don't agree with.

Why don't you stop complaining about people talking about police comp and DO something about it..other than hitting the red triangle.

#2 having this forum at the top of a very public forum IS doing something about it. If someone hears through the grapevine that the SCPBA is hosing LI taxpayers, maybe they see the PBA's heart string pulling commercials during the next contract talks and they look up the subject on google. Maybe it links here. Maybe they see other links posted here that show how high police comp is. Then they realize that, contrary to what the PBA propaganda commercials say, Suffolk Cops DO get paid too much, regardless of what the PBA thinks.

Then THEY contact their reps.

This is exactly why some people want every thread about his subject shut down, because they don't want the subject talked about.
You're talking about what "people" supposedly want. That is nothing but presumption on your part. I think it's great this thread is at the top of the forum. It keeps it all in one place instead of having 43 bazillion threads about the same thing. But whatever.

As for me having to do something, my position, which I freely state for myself, is that I don't have any big issues with police comp. As I'm not the one who wants to challenge the status quo, it is not up to me to take any action.

If you have contacted your reps, good for you for availing yourself of the democratic process. So, what did they say? They're public officials. Clue us all in on their response.
 
Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
 
938 posts, read 993,401 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
You know what I'm really interested in discussing - and this is a question I've thrown out there many times, but have yet to receive an answer on - outside of all the nepotism nonsense and accusations of bias, agendas, etc. ?

How do we get property taxes under control in Nassau & Suffolk counties without decreasing at least some of our civil servants' compensation levels to some degree? If there is a way to do that, and I just haven't heard of it or figured it out yet, I'm all for it. By all means - please enlighten me!
Sorry, there are as many opinions about that subject as there are citizens. And I don't intend to engage in that debate since the regular crowd has already voiced its opinion on the subject ... ad nauseum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top