Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 07:29 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I believe any change needs to come from Albany on civil service compensation reform as they are the ones who put obstacles in the way. I think Cuomo's idea to reward those districts that chose to consolidate is a great start.

There may have been good reasons for passing the Triborough Amendment and the Taylor Law but they have prevented fair negotiations from taking place. The tide has turned and this is no longer about protecting civil servants from abuses but rather protecting taxpayers from civil servants.

The original idea of the Taylor law was to stop strikes, not really protect civil servants. That's why you have arbitration when the municipality and the union are at an impasse.

What I don't get is who these arbitrators are who see the economy declining, wages for the average person going down..but what they base their decision on is the fact that they or another arbitrator gave the next county over a raise on their last contract.

Doesn't make much sense.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Nope. Candidates cannot be summarily rejected; there are specific screening guidelines at each phase and because it is a regulated civil service process with defined procedures, all those who meet the requirements must be hired IN RANK ORDER. It is the most open and transparent process for hiring that you can find.
Doing my own investigation. Here's my first response from a retired police officer. According to his experience, they have to CALL candidates strictly in accordance with list order, not HIRE that way:

Quote:
They have to call candidates strictly according to score (except for the unlawful lottery process), but once you are assigned an applicant investigator it's a different ballgame. If you have a friend or a family member who are friendly with the investigator or those in charge throughout the investigation process, they can make things very easy and be willing to overlook things in background. If not, they can and WILL make the process as difficult as possible for you to get on the job.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Doing my own investigation. Here's my first response from a retired police officer. According to his experience, they have to CALL candidates strictly in accordance with list order, not HIRE that way:

...as I suspected.

Again,though, the hiring process is a side story, although an important one on it's own. This opens up a whole new can of worms. Apparently some people aren't being very honest here. Wonder if anyone has a son or daughter possibly entering the ranks?

We were being led to the believe that the investigators for the PD hiring depts are some outside entity with no connection to people currently on the force. I didn't believe it for a second, and now we have some evidence that there's no truth to it.

Last edited by dman72; 01-20-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 01:48 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

lol.....that is so subjective Bottom line ......what you score on the test moves you to the 2nd phase of the hiring process. Nobody can pull a score of (80) list number 16,000 in front of someone that scored (98) and has a list number of 45.

The 2nd phase getting your assigned investigator things change for various reasons.......You don't answer his/her calls or written responses they can skip over you. You don't have all your ducks lined up, they can skip or delay your entrance into the academy. There are 100's of reason why some with a higher list number get on the job before someone with a much lower number. So many variables I don't have the time to explain them. do.

Bottom line they go in order from 1- what ever number they reach until the list is expired. The first group that goes into the academy from a new established county list will be the first ones investigated. But to fill a class of lets say 75 they may go all the way down 200 or more. Some actually turn it down, some background checks can't be verified, etc,etc,etc.

But I guess you would know more than me because you did research it on the internet My cousin became an Officer in 1988, where her husband in 1984 and her list number 900 numbers lower. I think the ratio of people that take the test to the ones actually get on is in some places 1-5 and some places 1-20

Last edited by BigMike50; 01-20-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 01:52 PM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
quote=truthone;17489572]First of all binding arbitration is signed by the governor every two years and probably won't be signed in the next time. And the legislature can always over ride the governor. Suffolk makes more than Nassau as well as most of the village depts. I live on LI and am entitled to a wage to live here to. I know you only like it when civil service workers live in a beat up cape with a car on blocks outside. I don't know of many PO's that make hundreds of thousands of dollars unless they are one of the ones locking up a DWI every night. And if they are, since they spend most of their life processing drunks and going to court and keeping killers off the street they deserve it. You sound like you might have been a deft yourself with your begrudging(be·grudge (b-grj)
1. To envy the possession or enjoyment) attitude.
I don't have a copy of my contract but under Freedom of Information act you are entitled to it. So why don't you get it. You can read it while wishing you took a civil service job instead of what ever you do. By the way, what do you do?
[/quote]

It was not clear when you indicated legislature that you meant NY State legislature and you are correct the binding arbitration expires this year. I don't deny civil service workers a decent and reasonable salary, that has not been the case for the PD's in either county. What type of home they choose to live in is not my problem but you can rest assured they are not living in beat up capes.

If you don't know any PD making above $100K you are definitely in a very select group. The arbitrator in 2007 for the NCPD awarded all officers with over 9 years seniority a salary of $116,995. that being the case and with approximately 2500 officers and very few hires since 2000 I would expect a large majority to be in that category just on base salary alone. If you look on the seethroughNY site that is obviously the case. Even under the current contract they go to $108K in 8 years.

This has little to do about grudges and everything to do with common sense relative to unsustainable compensation and benefits for the police and others.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
lol.....that is so subjective Bottom line ......what you score on the test moves you to the 2nd phase of the hiring process. Nobody can pull a score of (80) list number 16,000 in front of someone that scored (98) and has a list number of 45.

The 2nd phase getting your assigned investigator things change for various reasons.......You don't answer his/her calls or written responses they can skip over you. You don't have all your ducks lined up, they can skip or delay your entrance into the academy. There are 100's of reason why some with a higher list number get on the job before someone with a much lower number. So many variables I don't have the time to explain them. do.

Bottom line they go in order from 1- what ever number they reach until the list is expired. The first group that goes into the academy from a new established county list will be the first ones investigated. But to fill a class of lets say 75 they my go all the way down 200 or more. Some actually turn it down, some background checks can't be verified, etc,etc,etc.

But I guess you would know more than me because you did research it on the internet My cousin became an Officer in 1988, where her husband in 1984 and her list number 900 number lower.
Bottom line is there is not a complete separation between the people who hire and people currently working for the police dept.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Bottom line is there is not a complete separation between the people who hire and people currently working for the police dept.

I was at one time (late 80's to early 90's) on 4 different active Police Lists. I was investigated by 4 different agencies. Everything worked out fine of me no regrets.. I actually left one for another..

I think I should know the process there skippy !

Old 01-20-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I think we are only supposed to believe CERTAIN PEOPLE's writings on the internet and not others. Sorry but if I don't know any of them personally, I don't see a difference. That was the first I'd heard the term "Applicant Investigator." The way it was being put previously it was like a big computer just spits out numbers and there is no human decision-making allowed.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Hey Shank, I'm trying to figure out how you being on a police list in 4 different places has anything to do with you knowing that there is no nepotism going on. Nobody said that NO ONE gets hired who doesn't have a connection, did they?

Dude ..my Uncle was a full inspector in the Suffolk county Police Dept.

We both laughed when we saw my list number....I was on the list but we both knew I had no shot of making it. There was absolutely nothing he could do for me....

Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Dude ..my Uncle was a full inspector in the Suffolk county Police Dept.

We both laughed when we saw my list number....I was on the list but we both knew I had no shot of making it. There was absolutely nothing he could do for me....
Is that supposed to be the definitive bit of evidence that there is never any nepotism when hiring in the SCPD? Just because YOUR list number was so low your uncle couldn't help you?

Actually when you mention "there was nothing he could do for me," it tends to point in the direction of nepotism because perhaps you could have been helped if your list number was higher. If there were no nepotism possibilities at all, why even mention your uncle, as that would be irrelevant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island