Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 06:51 PM

324 posts, read 335,123 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: snip

FYI it is my opinion and the opinion of many other people I know. I'm willing to bet the house that the majority of LI would feel that $100k median salary for cops with their existing benefits structure is more than fair compensation. I'm also willing to bet the house that there will still be a line tens of thousands long for the next NCPD test if the salary is cut so that the average salary is $100k.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-30-2011 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Report the post next time..

Old 01-30-2011, 04:34 AM

157 posts, read 153,400 times
Istead of reading the comments of Long Island Newsday( aka the rag) read from a real paper

Special Report: A Long Island tax cut backfires on the Tea Party | Reuters.com

Old 01-30-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Actually they are both too high!

And, just for everyone's knowledge I'm going to post this link that another poster added earlier. Make sure to read on to the next pages, it has three pages total.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=1BF211E1A926F351AC71.3038?site=n ewsday&view=top_stories_item&feed:a=newsday_1min&f eed:c=topstories&feed:i=1.2645292∂=0

Don't forget to read where three chiefs each made more then the police commissioner for New York City. I don't know about you, but do you really think a police chief should make $800,000 per year? Yeah, that wasn't a typo. $800,000 per year when the NYC Police commissioner only makes $190,000. Atleast this type of stuff is getting put under the microscope now. And I thought Superintendent salaries were ridiculous.
As a matter of fact you are spinning just like the Nassau republicans and the $800.000 is a typo. That was a chief that retired and they included his severance pay by mistakes. Other mistakes to and thats why the article didn't make it to print and won't till later in the week. His annual salary was somewhere around 200,000. And for more spin it is a known fact that police commissioners don't make the most on any dept any longer. Look at Commish Mulvey salary etc. There are NYC Chiefs that make more than NYPD Commish. He makes plenty of money from other retirements, Marines, NYPD, Customs and probably has book rights etc .

Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 AM

929 posts, read 2,067,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Brilliant budget cutting ideas!! Do you have anything that isn't completely facetious?
I do, cutting police salaries by 30%. 3% per year over a 10 year period until they are in line with Long Island COLA * national police median salary. Step up the portion of their benefits that they pay for by 5% every year for the next 5 years.

Also, changing that pesky constitutional law that was added in 1938 that doesn't allow for public pensions to be reduced. Then dissolve the NYS pension fund and hand every participant and person who paid into the fund their fair share of the assets contained in the plan. This won't be hard to calculate and I'm sure some of the pensioners would be very surprised to see how much they actually have of value in the NYS pension.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:51 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
You don't seem to be able to comprehend what I am saying. All I am saying is that the county police departments should be absorbed into the county sheriff's departments on deputy sheriff pay. We would be able to hire more cops, so we would actually have more than we currently have because then we would be able to afford them.
Are you saying that, as part of this "absorption," the same people who are currently police should become deputy sheriffs just because the salary is lower?

Aside from the fact that the two creatures--cops and deps--are not the same animal, I think you'd meet with a lot of resistance to that, and not just from the members of both departments whose careers you'd like to rearrange for them. I don't think it would fly with the public from a psychological standpoint. People want their police to be police, right down to the word on the car.

The only change I can see making in the Sheriff's Department is to have the Nassau County sheriff be an elected official. Then again, the joke is that a sheriff has more power than God, so maybe you might not want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthone View Post
Why don't you just get security guards like they are doing for jails now. They seem to be running very well......
Of course private jails run well. It's easy to watch over empty cells once the inmates escape.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
I do, cutting police salaries by 30%. 3% per year over a 10 year period until they are in line with Long Island COLA * national police median salary. Step up the portion of their benefits that they pay for by 5% every year for the next 5 years.

Also, changing that pesky constitutional law that was added in 1938 that doesn't allow for public pensions to be reduced. Then dissolve the NYS pension fund and hand every participant and person who paid into the fund their fair share of the assets contained in the plan. This won't be hard to calculate and I'm sure some of the pensioners would be very surprised to see how much they actually have of value in the NYS pension.
All these ideas are " facetious". About as much as mine.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Are you saying that, as part of this "absorption," the same people who are currently police should become deputy sheriffs just because the salary is lower?

Aside from the fact that the two creatures--cops and deps--are not the same animal, I think you'd meet with a lot of resistance to that, and not just from the members of both departments whose careers you'd like to rearrange for them. I don't think it would fly with the public from a psychological standpoint. People want their police to be police, right down to the word on the car.

The only change I can see making in the Sheriff's Department is to have the Nassau County sheriff be an elected official. Then again, the joke is that a sheriff has more power than God, so maybe you might not want that.

Of course private jails run well. It's easy to watch over empty cells once the inmates escape.

That was sacasm

Old 01-30-2011, 05:44 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
That was sacasm
My bad. One never knows around here.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:49 PM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Again like a broken record read your taxes and how much and hom manu times your county tax went up. Its your school portion thats to high. So do you guys care about taxes here or think that cops should live only in Levitt houses with a old car on blocks. Whats it gonna be.

There are very few cops that live in Levitt Houses but where they live is not the taxpayers issue. They should make a fair salary but to pay patrol officers the present salaries and benefits is absurd. There are very few that would disagree that school taxes are too high but that has nothing to do with the present argument, plenty of links on that if you are interested in "ragging on school teachers".

Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are very few cops that live in Levitt Houses but where they live is not the taxpayers issue. They should make a fair salary but to pay patrol officers the present salaries and benefits is absurd. There are very few that would disagree that school taxes are too high but that has nothing to do with the present argument, plenty of links on that if you are interested in "ragging on school teachers".
You should read my post more carefully in which I write that teachers deserve what they make. You were originally upset about taxes and I adresses them because that is where most of your taxes go. You have now switched your opinion to police salaries being absurd. If a NYC garbage man's base pay is $70,000 and proabably makes alot more with two man trucks and OT why is PD salary absurd. And I will only go by base pay. The extra money for night diff is for working nights and most employees get extra money for that and OT is extra time worked. Not money stolen. Worked! And the real high numbers you see are POs that are arresting DWIs every day and going to court every day.
And also you say most Nassau residents don't want to pay police salaries. Well most residents would like to speed, smoke pot , and do alot of things in which law makers need to pass laws even though MOST may want to do it. So it can not be left up to the masses on what civil service employees make otherwise you might not only hear the horn for the volunteer fireman but also for the home invasion to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island