Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne teacher View Post
In NYC, most of the higher paying extras (after school tutoring jobs) are not paid through NYC and do not go towards our pension. These programs are funded through the federal govt and are run by outside companies (Princeton Review for one). There is very little money for clubs and sports teams. I can't speak for other teachers (Long Island, Westchester), but NYC teachers can't really pad their pensions like other city workers can.
No need to pad when you have 90 days vacation, more holidays than I can count on two hands, a fixed 7% annuity available to you (anyone on this board able to find a risk free investment paying 7% in their retirement plan?, Bueller?) - please NYC teachers make out like bandits.......don't forget tenure - impossible to get rid of old dinosaurs who teach outdated subjects and methodologies and are partly responsible for the poor product the schools turn out. If they were manufacturers, they'd be out of business eons ago.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,155 times
Default hm

I am in civil service and I am on the list (i wont tell you who i am though :P).

Pensions are done by 2 things. your position/ civil service rules for your area and your contract with your employer.

Anybody who generally goes get rid of pensions or make them pay has no idea what they are talking about.

My contract with my employer states that i have to pay into my pension. I literally pay half of what goes into my pension.

So people should really look into how it works before bashing pensions.

Now people should be more looking into their local school system. 50 - 75 percent of your taxes are for your school system. Why people blame ny and local government employees is beyond me when its your school system that makes up most of your taxes.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:00 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
I am in civil service and I am on the list (i wont tell you who i am though :P).

Pensions are done by 2 things. your position/ civil service rules for your area and your contract with your employer.

Anybody who generally goes get rid of pensions or make them pay has no idea what they are talking about.

My contract with my employer states that i have to pay into my pension. I literally pay half of what goes into my pension.

So people should really look into how it works before bashing pensions.

Now people should be more looking into their local school system. 50 - 75 percent of your taxes are for your school system. Why people blame ny and local government employees is beyond me when its your school system that makes up most of your taxes.
My hatred isn't with the civil servant. My hatred is the exorbitant salaries teachers make and the astronomical taxes i ahve to pay for the kids i don't have. (not to mention teachers work "part-time")

Old 01-06-2011, 02:13 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
No need to pad when you have 90 days vacation, more holidays than I can count on two hands, a fixed 7% annuity available to you (anyone on this board able to find a risk free investment paying 7% in their retirement plan?, Bueller?) - please NYC teachers make out like bandits.......don't forget tenure - impossible to get rid of old dinosaurs who teach outdated subjects and methodologies and are partly responsible for the poor product the schools turn out. If they were manufacturers, they'd be out of business eons ago.
Don't forget the ones who spend their days in "the rubber room"....unfit to teach but unable to be fired as well.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
What I don't understand is all of the lynchmobbing. If the tables were turned, do you honestly think half of the people here wouldn't try to retire with the biggest pension possible?

Grass is always greener, I guess.
A sentiment I expressed about a year ago. Doesn't matter. People will hate who they choose to hate.

And in all fairness, it's not everyone. There are some people who are sincerely interested and ask questions because they aren't familiar with the policies and procedures. Likewise, there are those who can discuss the issue like adults. I appreciate their willingness and ability to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Can we put this in lights? ^^^

Not all civil servants are the same. Those who lump them into one giant pot are ignorant in the true sense of the word: They simply do not know or understand the differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Any opinions? Any input on other civil servants such as teachers, LIRR, fire department pay and pension packages.[/FONT][/FONT]
Noble of you to ask, but given the aforementioned lynchmob mentality, I cannot blame those who are or who know civil servants other than cops and teachers should they not bother with trying to explain publicly.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:23 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This website is a godsend. Now I know what all my teacher friends make! To all the teachers who say they are underpaid, we have the proof right here ladies and gentlemen- you AREN'T!

Love you.
Wow this site which has been posted on here for years just open your eyes

You had no idea what teachers made on the Island until you read this

How long have your friends been teaching? The newer one aren't making that much but the ones that are tenured with 25 + years are making a good salary.

Now that you know how much they make...why don't you tell them how much you make...y'all might get a good laugh

Old 01-06-2011, 02:35 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This website is a godsend. Now I know what all my teacher friends make! To all the teachers who say they are underpaid, we have the proof right here ladies and gentlemen- you AREN'T!

Love you.
So look them up by name, print out what you find, and discuss it with them. Heck, give them the link to this thread and let them know that you're "JDawg8181." They'll appreciate your own transparency.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Moderator cut: english only
Reps to majortom!

Quote:
Why people blame ny and local government employees is beyond me when its your school system that makes up most of your taxes.
I don't. I know most are not making out like bandits. But the ones who are mess it up for everyone who has to pay the taxes to support their ponzi scheme.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-07-2011 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 03:03 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Moderator cut: english only

Reps to majortom!

I don't. I know most are not making out like bandits. But the ones who are mess it up for everyone who has to pay the taxes to support their ponzi scheme.
Most of the anger here is focused on 2 groups of public employees who are very highly compensated, one via property taxes and the other via property taxes and sales/other county taxes.

I don't think people ranting here are that concerned with the person making 55K doing accounting or audit work for the state. They're concerned about the teacher making 100K+ and the cop making 120+, on top of all the benefits and time off they receive.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-07-2011 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 03:19 PM

36 posts, read 43,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Most of the anger here is focused on 2 groups of public employees who are very highly compensated, one via property taxes and the other via property taxes and sales/other county taxes.

I don't think people ranting here are that concerned with the person making 55K doing accounting or audit work for the state. They're concerned about the teacher making 100K+ and the cop making 120+, on top of all the benefits and time off they receive.
Median NCPD salary in 2009 was $145,000. Cops topping off at $120k is fine by me, cops averaging $145k is highway robbery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island