U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:26 PM

142 posts, read 320,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Have you looked at the names of the winners...they are mostly chinese or Indian...Sheesh!

Absolutely ridiculous...who cares what the kids ancestry is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,555,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
Agreed

Long time no you rp

Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM

3,129 posts, read 2,382,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Have you looked at the names of the winners...they are mostly chinese or Indian...Sheesh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
^^^^'

sweet. Insult a few million people on LI. Check
Insult NY (mostly Nassau County Schools) Education Departments. Check
Insult the supportive parents and students; and make bigoted remarks. Check.

Top it off with half of your last 15 posts being direct attacks on other C-D members.
You must be proud of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
First off congratulations to all the students that made the cut hard work does pay off.

Second it's true most of the students are from an Indian or Chinese background......this should not offend anyone from anywhere. If anything it should be an eye-opener. You could intertwine with the other thread "Hey LI this one reason why you are failing" thread. I don't believe it's a L.I. thing but a USA thing, like I mention in the other thread.

Our students are taking a back seat to the students of other cultures. Here it's easier if I just re-post :

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
This new Generation I think they call it Generation Z or the Internet Generation is doomed. They can't even write properly...is cursive writing even taught anymore? What's next taking the SAT's on the computer Googling with spell check and a printer. They don't want to read books anymore but would rather download them to Mp3,Ipods, Ipads, Iphones,etc. and listen to the story. Why should they get hands on experience of the frog when they could go home an Google a video of it? They are way to depend on technology, going to hurt this county in the long term

They spend most of their time on the computer or phone sending E-mails, text messages, watching You-Tube, Playing X-Box 360 or PlayStation 3. They seem to be loners with no ambition what soever. Instant gratification is all they know.....and we are the ones to blame for this!

Old 01-13-2011, 05:43 AM

36 posts, read 8,537 times
Quote:
First off congratulations to all the students that made the cut hard work does pay off.

Second it's true most of the students are from an Indian or Chinese background......this should not offend anyone from anywhere. If anything it should be an eye-opener. You could intertwine with the other thread "Hey LI this one reason why you are failing" thread. I don't believe it's a L.I. thing but a USA thing, like I mention in the other thread.

Our students are taking a back seat to the students of other cultures. Here it's easier if I just re-post :
Actually you are wrong. About 50% of the students are not Indian or Asian. That's almost 30 -or 3 times the number of semifinalists Virginia has.

Thank you to our public school system... Keep doing LI proud!!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack50 View Post
Actually you are wrong. About 50% of the students are not Indian or Asian. That's almost 30 -or 3 times the number of semifinalists Virginia has.

About 50 % are Indian or Asian...that's an incredible,astounding,mind blogging number considering....less than 2% of the schools population are of Indian of Asian descent. Thanks for proving my point once again It's not a N.Y. Vs. Va. thing is a generational thing.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 AM

3,558 posts, read 4,325,016 times
Quote:
I think that may be a wrong assumption as most of the kids come from the same schools over and over again.

It may have more to do with very smart parents, very smart kids, an excellent specialty school and excellent resources (facilities and faculty) for the contestants to utilize such as Long Island's two gems, Stony Brook and Brookhaven.

Four Long Island Finalists In Intel Science Talent Search Mentored By Stony Brook University Faculty

Congratulations to all.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:39 AM

7,658 posts, read 10,555,181 times
Quote:

God Bless Asia
(The band)

Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
About 50 % are Indian or Asian...that's an incredible number considering....less than 2% of the schools population are of Indian of Asian descent. Thanks for proving my point once again It's not a N.Y. Vs. Va. thing is a generational thing.
You said most of the students are from indian/Asian background. I said half do not. I make no mention of % of population and neither did you until your last post.

You are correct it isn't a NY vs va thing bc that would be no contest. The proof is in the pudding and NY (and especially LI) has a superior public school system.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I think that may be a wrong assumption as most of the kids come from the same schools over and over again.

It may have more to do with very smart parents, very smart kids, an excellent specialty school and excellent resources (facilities and faculty) for the contestants to utilize such as Long Island's two gems, Stony Brook and Brookhaven.

Four Long Island Finalists In Intel Science Talent Search Mentored By Stony Brook University Faculty

Congratulations to all.
Same schools? There are about 26 public schools represented. That shows the quality all over LI. Heck, VA only has like 2 or 3 schools represented. 26 for LI alone! Amazing!!!

Keep up the great work LI and the LI public schools!!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
You said most of the students are from indian/Asian background. I said half do not. I make no mention of % of population and neither did you until your last post.

You are correct it isn't a NY vs va thing bc that would be no contest. The proof is in the pudding and NY (and especially LI) has a superior public school system.
This is your rebuttal Joe You are a sad little man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island