Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Huntington, in Western Suffolk, around $400K there are now decent buys in Greenlawn. Greenlawn is a nice family oriented community, safe, and Huntington has a good nightlife for the singles. Take NSP or LIE to Queens and easy access to other parts of LI. Also, decent trains to NYC when you want. JM2C

Excellent suggestion - just a matter of affordability with regard to monthly budget (RE taxes )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 04:34 PM

6 posts, read 8,654 times
My company is picking up the tab for all costs associated with the relocation. I am getting an adjustment for cost of living difference between RI and LI. They are paying 100% of the difference for the first year then it goes down to 80% the following year and so forth. The relocation package is very generous and more so if I buy. I do not get an adjustment if I rent.

I currently own a home now so I know about PMI and utility costs. The $2,000 a month would just be for mortgage payment, I can handle the cost of the other fee's associated with the home.

My credit score is well above the 740.

I will be in corporate housing for 60 days to give me time to find something that fits my needs. I can rent for up to one year but then I lose all the benefits of the relocation package if I do not buy.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Old 01-15-2011, 04:35 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,531 times
Rockville Centre

Old 01-15-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris835 View Post

I currently own a home now so I know about PMI and utility costs. The $2,000 a month would just be for mortgage payment, I can handle the cost of the other fee's associated with the home.

My credit score is well above the 740.
Great - your credit score will save you $$$ on your mortgage!
Still, a $300K mortgage at 5% is $1,530/mo, plus interest and HO insurance.
Mortgage = PITI = Principal, Interest, Taxes, Insurance

Assume low, $100/mo for HO insurance, leaves $370/mo for RE taxes--not on Long Island Even with a slightly lower interest rate you'd unfortunately still fall short because of RE taxes - possible exception E. Northport... or a very very "lucky" find

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris835 View Post
I will be in corporate housing for 60 days to give me time to find something that fits my needs. I can rent for up to one year but then I lose all the benefits of the relocation package if I do not buy.

Would be a shame to lose the benefits.
BTW, locally, the average conventional mortgage closing takes about three months. Occasionally, with the right "connections", it can take less...

Old 01-15-2011, 05:16 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Since you're covering the whole Island I'd think you're ok to look a little further east. Property taxes are out of control in Nassau, you might fare better in Suffolk County. I think Greenlawn is a good suggestion, and you might find a smaller house (and hence smaller taxes) around that area.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 PM

188 posts, read 416,337 times
I'll plug my own town - Hauppauge. We have nice neighborhoods and homes are plentiful at the low $400's and property taxes are less than the surrounding areas by a significant amount thanks to the industrial park. It is also centrally located, convenient access to the LIE, NSP, and Sagtikos parkways.

Best of luck in your move.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:11 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
If you have to cover suffolk, nassau and queens, then Huntington/Centerport/Greenlawn area is where I would suggest for you. But...you have to do your research, ask on here bc there are parts you need to be aware to avoid.

But downtown Huntington village area has great nightlife, restaurants, bookstore. You are close to the water and it's just a gorgeous area (all the areas I mentioned to you).

Old 01-15-2011, 10:34 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Check out Glen Cove. Not too far out on the Island, Good nearby club and restaurants - from Oyster bay and Locust Valley on the east to Sea Cliff, Glen Kead and Greenvale on the west.

Rents and homesales are not too expensive by Long Island standards.
Nice beaches and parks.

My vote goes to Glen Cove!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

My vote goes to Glen Cove!
And then there are the RE taxes...

Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 AM

6 posts, read 8,654 times
All great suggestions, thank you! Elke, I am getting a cost of living adjustment from my company for 5 years and therefore I will have plenty of money for taxes. I appreciate all the helpful advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island