Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 03:29 PM

7 posts, read 53,254 times

Advertisements

I have a question I have been offered a job with a reputable company in bellmore starting at 104,000 with acommision package and company vehicle I am currently in North carolina making 66,000 which beleive it or not is almost upper middle here what would i be getting myself into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 03:39 PM

14 posts, read 45,333 times
I recommend staying where you are. If you are upper middle class, then you are doing great. Though $104,000 sounds good, you will lose a lot of that in the cost of living (mainly if you have children). If you don't, it could be an okay move but if you start a family here, then you are on the outs again. It also depends on what you intend to do. Do you intend on purchasing a home here? I think if you get all this down on paper and work the numbers, you will be able to find your answer. I'm a little jaded which is why I say to stay where you are. It's very hard to live here. If you work and buy nothing, you are okay. But that only lasts for a short period of time. It is hard not to buy things when everyone around you does, and then how do you deprive your children of the things they see all of their friends with. It's very superficial and materialistic here. I guess it all depends on how frugal you can be. Good luck to you!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:42 PM

106 posts, read 578,407 times
Stay where you are....you will be poor here...unless you are interested in buying my all brick colonial in Helwett which is maybe 20 minutes to Bellmore...if you are interested then you should definitely move here you will love it!!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 04:34 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
66 NC is like 130k on in NAssau

Stay put

Old 07-17-2007, 05:58 PM

19 posts, read 75,843 times
i am actually debating between bellmore and seaford. the good thing to remember is that it is surrounded by very expensive areas. school districts are excellent and is close to all. good choice.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:10 PM

18 posts, read 87,881 times
I grew up in Bellmore and also lived in Seaford south of Merrick road. You can try to rent before you buy to see if you like it. Life is taking chances. If it doesnt work out you really have gained an adventure. Rentals or outrages in Seaford and Bellmore. It sounds like a lot of money that you would be making, but if you are happy were you are at stay. But maybe you should go yourself before up rooting your family. Renta a small apartment for 2 months just to see. Please it is a nice place, People are nice, But if your are used to your state and know your state. You yourself will be lost especially if you do not have family up there. It is not as easy as you might think. But one thing is for sure. I live in Florida now and If I could return to my town on Long Island, I would. It is so bad down here and I live in ocala. You have to be so careful of everybody, you have to watch who your children hang out with, Forget to pay a bill and I mean just because you were too busy you just forgot. The electric is shut off. Too many people down here are cut throat. It is too hard to make a living. It is not that way on Long Island. At least up there you always get chances.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:04 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigface View Post
I have a question I have been offered a job with a reputable company in bellmore starting at 104,000 with acommision package and company vehicle I am currently in North carolina making 66,000 which beleive it or not is almost upper middle here what would i be getting myself into?
Are you single? Making that much and being single should not be a problem. It's really what you feel like doing. How much time have you spent up here? LI is not NC and vice versa...yet.

The money would be fine, there are tons of nice areas to look at, it's just a matter of preference. where do you think you have the better chance at moving up or being secure? What's your goals. I'm biased, but I would think that you chances are better in NY.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:28 AM

510 posts, read 2,205,222 times
My wifes family lives in Bellmore and loves the area. Some of her family is in South Bellmore which is more expensive and has more competitive schools. The rest of the family is in N bellmore. The schools in both sections are excellent. The area is really good too.

We may move there in the future. I think with the salary you will be making, you should be fine. You may want to look for a less expensive home to start out in though.

Under $400k I am referring to. You can find homes in Bellmore for that price, but they will need work...

Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 AM

7 posts, read 53,254 times
yeah i do have family 1 child and the wife is from brooklyn so she wants back in ny only reason i am even considering it

Old 08-03-2007, 10:50 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
any relation to Bigfoot (from the howard stern show), is he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island