Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:47 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone View Post
Dr Petit in CT lost his wife and daughters during a home invasion, robbery, rape and arson. One of the dirtbags still stunk from the gas he used to set the fire. That was too far from LI for people here to consider it could happen to us.

Those of us who are aware of our surroundings, aware of local crime and who take precautions like staying away from bad areas and locking our doors are called paranoid by people on this board. I don't own a gun because I don't have a license. I like being vigilant not a victim and if that makes me paranoid in your eyes, who cares?

A lot of the antigun positioning on this thread is from a congested suburbia resident point of view. If we lived in a lower populated or rural area where it takes the cops a long time to respond I think people might look at it a little differently.

How many of you complained about the Patriot Act taking away some of your rights? How many of our rights are you willing to lose in the name of safety?

I'm not saying no guns, no guns ever, or anything like that, however some sort of common sense needs to apply. I can understand some feeling the need to have a gun for self-defense. What exactly is a 30 round magazine going to accomplish as far as self defense than a 10 round magazine will not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 12:48 PM

330 posts, read 726,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Ahhh but when the Constitution was written, guns were NOT what they are now! I think it should be revised. I don't believe our forefathers expected the military grade weaponry that the average citizen can now carry.
That's an illogical point. The purpose of the second amendment is to have an armed citizenry in order to protect the republic from tyrannical government. At the time of the constitution the weapons available to the public were roughly the same as the weapons available to governments. In modern times the weapons available to the public are much less powerful than the weapons available to governments. From that point of view we could argue that the public needs more and stronger weapons (not that I am making that argument).

Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
and so is a knife...so what is your point?

Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
and so is a knife...so what is your point?
Nope, a knife has many uses that have nothing to do with killing people. Dig a hole, cut down a tree, cut down soy bean plants for later processing into tofu, etc.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:55 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,093 times
http://www.popforum.net/images/smiles/icon_popcorn.gif (broken link)

Old 01-20-2011, 12:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
That's an irrelevant question. You can't confront emotion with reason. It won't work. Should we base our laws on emotion or reason?
There seems to be plenty of emotion attached to the right to own 30-round clips.

I am just saying ... look at it on the opposite side. Although, I should say potential opposite side, as perhaps there are people who have actually had loved ones killed in this manner who would say, "People kill other people. The high-capacity magazine is just an object and is not at fault."

Old 01-20-2011, 12:59 PM

330 posts, read 726,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
There seems to be plenty of emotion attached to the right to own 30-round clips.
There is. But that's not the right way to approach it and it tends to hurt the cause. Unfortunately emotions rule over most people.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

I am just saying ... look at it on the opposite side. Although, I should say potential opposite side, as perhaps there are people who have actually had loved ones killed in this manner who would say, "People kill other people. The high-capacity magazine is just an object and is not at fault."
Another argument that is so amazingly dopey I can't believe I still hear it.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people!!"

Nuclear weapons don't kill people!! People kill people.

Why can't I have a nuclear weapon? Because it's too much power to allow an individual to have over the lives of other people.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 PM

371 posts, read 938,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Me too. It can be a problem exercising freedom though when you have to worry about being shot all the time.
Don't have to worry too much about us law abiding citizens shooting you...Now the lunatics who ignore the laws maybe more so...But I'm not going to change your mind, and your not going to change mine, so I will let it go and continue to lurk and read all the posts to come...

Old 01-20-2011, 01:03 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Nope, a knife has many uses that have nothing to do with killing people. Dig a hole, cut down a tree, cut down soy bean plants for later processing into tofu, etc.
A gun has many uses to...shoot an animal...eat meat like a real man instead of a feminized Oprah-watching eunuch from New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island