Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
One small problem, they're illegal in NYC. So getting one to your house would get you one year in jail.
Then I wouldn't bring it through NYC by land. I'd bring it by sea! (One of the benefits of living on an island!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 02:05 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Ahhh but when the Constitution was written, guns were NOT what they are now! I think it should be revised. I don't believe our forefathers expected the military grade weaponry that the average citizen can now carry.
It was also written as One Nation Under God.

We lost our moral compass years ago

My guess would be sometime around the invention of the Corporation.

I digress.

Crooks

Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,880 times
Scientists abandoned supernatural explanations for physical occurences in 1828 (When Wohler made urea without the use of kidneys). But the invention of the Corporation is as good as any for the rest of the people.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:18 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
It was also written as One Nation Under God.

We lost our moral compass years ago

My guess would be sometime around the invention of the Corporation.

I digress.

Crooks
Digression is your forte

Old 01-20-2011, 03:52 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,589 times
If this thread is about Tim Bishop showing ignorance, my posting at this thread would be in order. Isn't Tim Bishop the local politician,
who is advocating for the continuation of the government research facility, here on Plum Island? Anyone out there have Lyme disease?
I'm fairly certain that one day soon, the disease control agency, or whatever they call it, will make the admission that yes, Lyme disease is
directly connected and had it's birth, in the laboratories there on Plum Island. I just know, that Tim Bishop is aware of the growing school of
thought on moving the research to Manhatten Kansas, he's currently fighting hard, to keep the "animal disease control" right here, off of our
Long Island shores and I'm rightly suspicious of his motives.

Here's a link, in the event that you may want to understand more about Plum Island: www.rense.com/general67/plumislandlyme.htm
The paragraph below is an excerpt from this article.

> In laymen's terms, Plum Island was experimenting with the Lone Star tick and the Cayenne tick-feeding them on viruses and testing them
on pigs-during the ground zero year of Lyme disease. They did not transmit African swine fever to pigs, said the document, but they might
have transmitted Bb to researchers or to the island's vectors. The Lone Star tick, named after the white star on the back of the female, is
a hard tick; along with its cousin, the deer tick, it is a culprit in the spread of Lyme disease. Interestingly, at that time, the Lone Star tick's
habitat was confined to Texas. Today, however, it is endemic throughout New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey. And no one can really
explain how it migrated all the way from Texas.<

I'd also be willing to venture a guess that Lyme disease has affected many, many more people than those 30 round Glock magazines.
Apologies to any who might feel as if, in my post, was looking to hijack the thread, but because the op was about Bishop's ignorance, I really felt
as though I had something to bring to his party.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 PM

7,810 posts, read 6,388,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
I dont see the democratics making videos and websites on how the only way to get the democrats out of office is to shoot them.

Also keep in mind what bishop is asking is for it to become law AGAIN. there used to be ba ban that was let expire.
Slavery used to be legal, too.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 PM

182 posts, read 406,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Slavery used to be legal, too.
illegal for almost 150 years and people still keep others as slaves like the case in Brookville.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:25 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What any of this has to do with having a 30 round clip in a 9mm I have no idea. You can protect your home with a shotgun, and I'd never side with anyone who says you don't have a right to have one. I'm not anti-gun, I'm anti-catering to childish "look at how big mine is" idiots.
Pick something, either people can defend themselves and open the tools or not. BTW, it's a MAGAZINE. If your going to take a position against something, at least be educated on that position. Further, post evidence that a 30rnd magazine ban would decrease crime.

Quote:
Yeah, whatever, I give in, you're right, just stop asking me to read so much.

As stated before, I don't oppose gun ownership, but I do support reasonable restrictions.

I'm willing to take the risk that in 40 years, the next wannabe Glenn Beck is now Hitler wanting to institute Christian Fundamentalism as the law of the land, and that we, who aren't moonbat nuts, won't be able to stop them because we don't have 30 round clips.
Right or left wing fundamentalists are not up for debate in this thread, go to politics for that.

BTW, it's a MAGAZINE. If your going to take a position against something, at least be educated on that position.

Quote:
It wasn't any more absurd than the "if you take our 30 round clips away you take away our freedom" BS.
BTW, it's a MAGAZINE. If your going to take a position against something, at least be educated on that position.

Post evidence to support your position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I'm not saying no guns, no guns ever, or anything like that, however some sort of common sense needs to apply. I can understand some feeling the need to have a gun for self-defense. What exactly is a 30 round magazine going to accomplish as far as self defense than a 10 round magazine will not?
Ironically, looking into it, the 30rnd magazine may well be what enabled the people to stop him. The one woman said that she grabbed it. Since Loughner wasn't using a mag well extender the glocks are known to torque and cause failure to feed and failure to release the mag.

Further, your still feeding at the propaganda trough. 10-round magazines are lower then standard magazines that you find in states without these silly rules. IIRC normal mags for a glock are about 15, these do not "extend" at all, they simply fit inside the grip of a pistol using availible space that the gun was designed for. 20rnd mags were the normal for the AR-15 platform, then progressed to the 30rnd magazine being the normal. Again, we have the 10rnd magazine being abnormal. A 10rnd magazine fits into my friends glock micro gun that has a signifcantly smaller grip because its made to be a CC gun.

To further point out the ignorance, of the past many years (since 1986 IIRC) there have only been 2 incidences with the roughly 175,000 legally registered machine guns.

So AGAIN:
Post facts to support your opinion.

This thread is reading like the DU. All opinion, no evidence.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:58 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,880 times
Okay, you have convinced me.
Legalize:
30 round magazines
flamethrowers
land mines
tanks
heavy artillery
RPG's
heroin
crack
methamphetamine
slavery
public drunkeness
child abuse
lynchings
littering
jaywalking
the rack
cluster bombs
any and all torture
any and all weapons

Wow, I feel free now!! Liberty at its finest!

Last edited by Fastrudy; 01-20-2011 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: last line

Old 01-20-2011, 05:53 PM

244 posts, read 540,278 times
If you're worried about home defense, get a shotgun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island