Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve of Nassau's new social-host law?
Yes 17 50.00%
No 17 50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:13 AM

4,690 posts, read 8,709,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
That poster above seems to be involved in this story (http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/longisland/ny-lisoci1012750539may09,0,6835425.story - broken link). Of note:Note that in this instance, college students are being charged when other, younger college students are consuming alcohol in their home. The stupidity of this ranks up there with charging two high school kids with statutory rape if they have sex.

Clearly the law was intended to curb permissive parents from allowing minors to gather and consume alcohol (a dubious justification to begin with), but as we typically see, the law will be used by law enforcement to punish anyone who falls within the technicalities.
if a bar were serving underage kids, we'd all expect that bar to suffer some sort of penalty - no matter the age of the owner of the bar. I don't why older college students should get a free pass for allowing underage kids to drink at their homes. The drinking age is ridiculous, but selectively enforcing the social host law is stupid as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 09:12 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,583,810 times
In my opinion there's no philosophical difference between a host handing out alcohol to a minor, or allowing a minor to bring his/her own alcohol into someone's house and consuming it there. The issue -- in my mind at least -- is one of being responsible for what happens within the confines of the house that the owner or host is considered to be in legal control of.

There are several current laws (some local, state or Federal) that I personally think are ridiculous and in my opinion should be changed or eliminated entirely. What those laws are has no relevance to this discussion (although as I said before, I VERY strongly object to the idea of lowering the drinking age to 18 and if it ever came to that I would actively lobby against it) However, I don't consider my personal opinion a license to flout any law. If I were to deliberately break ANY law and got caught, I'd expect to suffer the consequences. It's called "accountability for one's actions."

Old 05-12-2009, 05:32 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,491,928 times
No one is suggesting that you should be surprised to be prosecuted if you break the law, however you can and should oppose the law if you don't believe that it is just.

It's not unreasonable to oppose further restrictions on an activity that you don't believe should be restricted in the first place. If you believe that lowering or abolishing the drinking age is a good thing, then philosophically, it doesn't make sense to sit back and let the government further restrict drinking (or drugs, or gay marriage, or whatever the issue is).

Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,195,175 times
Ask the mom of the young boy who recently died from alcohol poisoning if she thinks that the law is wrong. Someone does need to be held reponsible for young teenagers who aren't able to manage themselves .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-12-2009, 07:35 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,379,165 times
this law is pure Moderator cut: language .
along with the drinking age of 21. Lower it to 18.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:11 PM

330 posts, read 885,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Ask the mom of the young boy who recently died from alcohol poisoning if she thinks that the law is wrong. Someone does need to be held reponsible for young teenagers who aren't able to manage themselves .
The law would only have made this child get poisoning out in the woods, or behind the walmart, etc. Kids will drink underage no matter what, the law and the high drinking age simply pushes it into more clandestine locations that encourage even more binge drinking rather than social drinking at a bar restaurant, or more acceptable and public locations. With limited time and access, young people switched from beer to hard liquor and consume more of it to compensate for the constraints of having to hide and don't have the chance to learn responsible drinking behavior.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,471,532 times
This law is ridiculous. As far as the "college house" scenario....OK, I went to college...how many other people went to college here? I know some of you might have to think back a long way, but tell me how exciting it would have been if there were no parties whatsoever in your entire 4+ years? There is no way to have such a party and have any way of knowing who is 21 or younger. Ridiculous.

As far as the "mom lets kids get drunk at house" scenario....I hope they realize these kids are just gonna be forced to get drunk in woods and sewers, wandering around the streets instead. I'd rather know that kids are doing stupid things under the supervision of an adult.

Lower the drinking age.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:01 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,491,928 times
Quote:
I'd ask her where she was while her kid was out drinking. Also, nice appeal to emotion, why don't you just type "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" and be done with it.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,195,175 times
I think that he was away in college and that she was home. If you are a parent , you know that you cannot be everywhere all the time.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,583,810 times
Quote:
If you are a parent , you know that you cannot be everywhere all the time.
And also that no matter how well you brought your kids up, as sure as the sun rises in the East they will occasionally do something incredibly mind-bogglingly and uncharacteristically stupid and/or self-destructive when out from under your parental watchful eyes. Even more likely when they are with others anywhere near their own age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: