Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,793,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman91 View Post
Copiague and North Amityville had a few gang related shootings last year, from what I've read on Newsday.
eman, which working community across the Island hasn't had some kind of criminal activity at one time or another?
Gang related shootings are occurring throughout America. It's a plague, much like AIDS, totally indiscriminate about where it lands or breeds.
If you look at it on a comparative scale, you would not see such a difference between Lindenhurst and Copiague, and if you have ever passed
through the two communities, except for the changing street names and the intersections, there really wouldn't be too much difference between
them. If you want to look at it by border and boundary, longitude or latitude, village or hamlet, I'm quite sure that Walter, (our on board surveyor),
will give you a google map, but in the first person singular, as you pass through my town, Copiague, you'll feel as safe and secure, as you would in
any other town, here along the south shore.

Wouldn't you get tired of being the ugly duckling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 PM

43 posts, read 100,354 times
Lindenhurst is a great area surrounded by many great areas. You have beaches, parks, shopping and I heard that a Super Walmart was coming to Montauk Highway. The area your looking in -- N. 4th Street is two blocks from the village, so I don't know how you can live any closer! As far as the schools, they are closing one building down (Bower elementary) and dividing the students among two of the other elementary schools. The elementary school that services your area is Albany Avenue and it is not affected by the closing of Bower. As a matter of fact, Albany Avenue is getting a new principal that I think is terrific! The schools are GREAT. The train ride into the city isn't too bad. The area your looking in is walkable to the train and the ride itself is about an hour. I never worried about the safety of my children because there were always people out and about. Bad things happen everywhere. Not everything is perfect, but I don't think you will be disappointed in Lindenhurst.

Last edited by 2girlsmi; 01-22-2011 at 11:17 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 07:03 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,128,626 times
Whereas a SuperWalmart coming to the area is widely regarded as good news in most of Tarnation something like that could spell lights out for a struggling downtown.I hope for Lindys case thats not true
Other than that I agree with the statements above.I wouldnt hesitate to live there if I were looking @ W LI.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:21 AM

9,141 posts, read 13,171,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmi View Post
Lindenhurst is a great area surrounded by many great areas. You have beaches, parks, shopping and I heard that a Super Walmart was coming to Montauk Highway. The area your looking in -- N. 4th Street is two blocks from the village, so I don't know how you can live any closer! As far as the schools, they are closing one building down (Bower elementary) and dividing the students among two of the other elementary schools. The elementary school that services your area is Albany Avenue and it is not affected by the closing of Bower. As a matter of fact, Albany Avenue is getting a new principal that I think is terrific! The schools are GREAT. The train ride into the city isn't too bad. The area your looking in is walkable to the train and the ride itself is about an hour. I never worried about the safety of my children because there were always people out and about. Bad things happen everywhere. Not everything is perfect, but I don't think you will be disappointed in Lindenhurst.
Great post.

I am just wondering where a Walmart could be going on Montauk Highway? There really are no large scale properties in Lindenhurst so it is probably going to go in West Babylon.

Personally, I would consider it a bad thing for Walmart to go down there. We are well situated with supermarkets in the Town of Babylon (for the most part) and West Babylon certainly does not need the traffic down on Montauk Highway.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:15 PM

43 posts, read 100,354 times
Walmart is going where the National Liquidators used to be which is West Babylon. I just used this as an example because it is so close to Lindenhurst. K-Mart is closing and I don't know what is going there. I agree with the traffic concerns down Montauk Highway, especially with the hospitals being so close. I don't think the Super Walmarts in New York are like those found out of state. While they may sell some groceries, I don't think they can compare to the supermarkets in the area. Especially my Stop & Shop which I miss so very much!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 05:37 PM
gag gag started this thread

683 posts, read 1,417,712 times
2girlsmi I just sent you a DM

Wow, thanks to everyone here for the info. Looks like Lindy has most everything nearby, and so does Copiague LI Eddie.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:49 PM
gag gag started this thread

683 posts, read 1,417,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
eman, which working community across the Island hasn't had some kind of criminal activity at one time or another?
Gang related shootings are occurring throughout America. It's a plague, much like AIDS, totally indiscriminate about where it lands or breeds.
If you look at it on a comparative scale, you would not see such a difference between Lindenhurst and Copiague, and if you have ever passed
through the two communities, except for the changing street names and the intersections, there really wouldn't be too much difference between
them. If you want to look at it by border and boundary, longitude or latitude, village or hamlet, I'm quite sure that Walter, (our on board surveyor),
will give you a google map, but in the first person singular, as you pass through my town, Copiague, you'll feel as safe and secure, as you would in
any other town, here along the south shore.

Wouldn't you get tired of being the ugly duckling?
Yes, Copiague is nice as well and you should be happy that you are so well located to just about everywhere too. I'm not an expert on SD or crime rate, but I read here on several posts that Copiague Schools are not rated as high as Lindy, and that may be where the negative comments begin. Perhaps the official state school and local police crime reports for comparison would clarify things.

Thanks for the video of the motorized FD competition.
Great Fun-- Are you FD too?
It brought back good memories; I'm retired Wantagh FD, and NYFD/EMS since 1995. Take care, DM me some time

Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,793,829 times
Make no mistake here, we're as qualified as the outlying areas...
Technology in LI classrooms: Worth the cost?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:39 PM

257 posts, read 749,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
ladibug, could I ask you for additional information on those, "not so nice" neighborhoods? Did YOU grow up there or did your friend?
In Lindenhurst, you can't get too much closer to "the village" than No. 4th or 5th between Montauk and Sunrise, why would you recommend
looking "closer" to the village? Copiague is also on the Babylon branch of the L.I.R.R., and we have a village too. (Stay out of this Walter).
Additionally, Copiague has it's own weekly newspaper, does Lindenhurst? In Copiague, we have Tanner Park, the summers are filled with free
concerts, and the park itself, is the flagship of Babylon Township. We have a multi-cultural population, tucked also between Merrick Rd. or
(Montauk Hwy.) and Sunrise Highway, and every bit as much to offer as Lindenhurst.

I give you the same opportunity to clarify your post, that I gave to eman91. I'm not interested in trolling you nor in getting embroiled in a
snot-slinging contest, but I am sincerely interested in hearing about the "cons" and the "drawbacks" that have been alluded to in some of the
posts here. The OP, by gag was presented in this spirit: Lindenhurst--just visited, checked homes-Opinions please.
Sure, we're all entitled to our opinion but what good is an opinion unless it has been formed correctly, and not upon second-hand information?
Maybe you too, can help me, by spelling out those detractions which seem to fall upon the outlying communities adjacent to Lindenhurst?

Thanking you in advance,
Eddie...
I was mostly referring to N. Amity and Wyandanch in terms of the not so desirable neighborhoods, if you are that interested. And no I never lived there myself. My good friend from HS (still a good friend today) grew up there, and her family still does live there. I meet them for a book club at their home in Lindenhurst about once a month. I also did my student teaching back in college in the Lindenhurst public schools. I'm trying to give someone not from the area an accurate description of the area. I like Lindenhurst, and even considered buying a home there when my husband and I were looking.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,128,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Yes, Copiague is nice as well and you should be happy that you are so well located to just about everywhere too. I'm not an expert on SD or crime rate, but I read here on several posts that Copiague Schools are not rated as high as Lindy, and that may be where the negative comments begin. Perhaps the official state school and local police crime reports for comparison would clarify things.

Thanks for the video of the motorized FD competition.
Great Fun-- Are you FD too?
It brought back good memories; I'm retired Wantagh FD, and NYFD/EMS since 1995. Take care, DM me some time

Id say see the Flat Tops of North Amityville and ask yourself if this what you want to send your kids to school with.

Copiague the town is fine.You just have some really dangerous stuff in the district to the north.

6 Somerset Road $CITY$ $STATE$ Home for Sale - Real Estate Listings - MLS #2305749 - Realtor.com®

Does anyone have an accurate district map for the area?
I heard the Elementary and Middle schools are fine. I would be curious about the HS and the interaction with N Amityville.
(Gangs drugs etc)
Neat side note...theres actually a very strong Polish community there like Riverhead.
Shops Delis etc. plus all of the Boat dealers are down there too.

Dig a little deeper.Maybe some other locals could weigh in?

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 01-23-2011 at 10:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island