Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:49 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,986,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP Guy View Post
Definitely agree with this, but the bottom line is if a team is consistently winning, the arena will generally be packed, regardless of whether it is a state of the art complex or a dilapidated eyesore. The truth is that the Isles have rarely been a force in the league over the more than quarter century since they last won a Cup. Baseball and football in around the NYC area will draw crowds more consistently no matter how good/bad the team is, but hockey is a niche sport in most markets, and will struggle to get crowds, again, unless the team is winning consistently. A new complex will definitely draw more people, but it won't be for long if the team continues to be among the worst in the league year after year.

As a lifelong Rangers fan that grew up on and currently lives on LI, I'm torn about the Isles fate. On one hand, I would like to see the rivalry continue and even be rekindled, assuming both teams can concurrently be in the upper echelon of the league for an extended period of time. On the other hand, I vividly remember suffering through 4 Cups in the early 80s and all of the ***** that I put up with as a young Rangers fan. In retrospect, it wasn't so much the true Isles/hockey fans that were the problem, but it was all of those annoying bandwagon fans that have long since disappeared.

Those are the same people who are Yankees fans now..where are they now that the Coliseum is half full...I remember 8 out of every kids in my elementary school class was an Islanders fan back then...what happened?

Regardless, as a Long Islander, losing our only pro sports team would be a travesty. I still wish the Jets were still in Queens even though I'm a Giant fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:43 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,120,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Are you sure there is still a hockey team that plays on Long Island ?
Not since the Ducks.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 AM

939 posts, read 2,306,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Could it get any worse for the Islanders??
of course it could... they could be the devils

Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,240,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
of course it could... they could be the devils
Beat me to it.

The Isles need a new arena and a star player.

Then they need to actually win. Jagr alone couldn't do anything for the Caps, even with their gorgeous arena, but good arena in fun area + Ovechkin + winning = fans in seats. Hockey in DC has done a 180 since it all came together.

The Isles could do the same, plus they'd have the advantage of history behind them. It would be a built-in pitch for a marketing blitz.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:44 PM

1,771 posts, read 3,220,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Are you sure there is still a hockey team that plays on Long Island ?

I could have sworn the Islanders moved after losing in the finals in 1984 to the Edmonton Oilers.
no, their fans moved away

Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,940,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
no, their fans moved away
lol, you got me w' that one

Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM

188 posts, read 415,318 times
This has been discussed around these parts before. The team is a joke from the top down; ownership, management, coaches, and the players. If I was Nabakov, I would have hung up on Snow too.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM

7,907 posts, read 9,106,686 times
Snow is an idiot. You don't claim a 36 year old goalie off waivers when you are 20 points out of a playoff position. You let the Detroit Red Wings claim him then take the YOUNGER player they will be forced to put through waivers.

With the rebuilding process they are in , there is NO reason to get such an old player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island