U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-28-2011, 07:15 AM

182 posts, read 245,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

Also MikeyKid mentioned Idle Hour for Oakdale. When I think of "Oakdale" I always think of that neighborhood, I'm not as familiar with the areas further north... could be a lot different.
There are lots of garden apartments north of the train and Montauk in Oakdale.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 AM

2,846 posts, read 6,036,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone View Post
See? Didn't know that... could very well be contributing to Oakdale's low number.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:17 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,669,654 times
Quote:
Also MikeyKid mentioned Idle Hour for Oakdale. When I think of "Oakdale" I always think of that neighborhood, I'm not as familiar with the areas further north... could be a lot different.
Really as you should since "South of Montauk" covers the bulk of Oakdale. The always infamous Oakdale merge will give one traffic fits (it used to be INSANE before and right after the original construction - I think they changed their minds two or three times with traffic patterns through there) with the pinch of Main St and Sunrise actually coming together. It's STILL very bad during peak times... It's what you get when you squeeze 2 primary roads between 2 state parks (Arboretum and Connetquot).

But it's not just North of Sunrise over towards Locust that I was referring to - East of Idle Hour around Byron Lake is a completely different "feel" even though that's south of Montauk, too.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:43 AM

9,343 posts, read 16,164,095 times
Quote:
The LIPA thing Walter posted is different from the Census and counts according to it's own method.
The LIPA population estimates are annual updates to the Census numbers, and are as of January 1 of each subsequent year (Census numbers are as of April 1 for the Census year), and are linked to the Census numbers using mostly people/electric meter as their estimating tool, as well as population counts, when available.

Quote:
They've got all the colleges listed on there, although I didn't look at it and I can't remember if they're included in whatever hamlet/village/etc. they're in or if they get their own separate entry completely.
Both.

People living in dorms are listed as part of the population in the community where they are located and separately broken out on the following line.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM

7,658 posts, read 10,538,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone View Post
However there are many more in Sayville and that hast impacted them.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:52 AM

Default A map of the Hamlet of Oakdale in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
... "South of Montauk" covers the bulk of Oakdale.

A map of the Hamlet of Oakdale in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Oakdale has a different border than does the "Oakdale, NY 11769" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "Oakdale, NY 11769" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Oakdale): places that have a "Oakdale, NY 11769" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Oakdale are in the Hamlet of West Sayville and the Hamlet of Great River.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 AM

182 posts, read 245,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
However there are many more in Sayville and that hast impacted them.
Excluding West Sayville, the population of Sayville is almost twice that of Oakdale. There might be more apartment complexes in Sayville but not twice as many.

Sayville has more lower cost residential houses around and north of the train station. That combined with the apartments could be impacting the numbers.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 AM

1,919 posts, read 2,981,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I know youre new here but I assure you that Wading River(particularly the Riverhead side) in not more affluent then Quogue.Neither is RP MP or SB either

266 Quogue $66,821 22,974 WTF?

The data is way, way off and it seems to be more off the further east it goes.
Montauk 244 or my personal favorite, Sag Harbor 259 Somebody oughta tell Oprah and Mr Joel theyre poor

Im not trying to nit pick but wrong is wrong and Newsday really ought to source/parse its Census data better and by date.

Crooks
The downtown part of Wading River is part of the Town of Riverhead and is much nicer than the Brookhaven side which is mostly the southern sections of the hamlet. However, I do agree that there are many more undesirable parts of Wading River than Quogue. BTW, you do know that Quogue has a "diverse neighborhood, just like Westhampton, Southampton, Montauk, Bridgehampton and Sag Harbor. I will also agree that RP is nicer than Shirley but RP is the most downscale hamlet of the North Shore communities from MT. Sinai to Baiting Hollow.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:01 AM

Default A map of the Hamlet of Wading River in the Town of Riverhead, Suffolk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
The downtown part of Wading River is part of the Town of Riverhead and is much nicer than the Brookhaven side which is mostly the southern sections of the hamlet.

While the "Wading River, NY 11792" ZIP Code postal zone is in both the Town of Riverhead and the Town of Brookhaven (parts of the Hamlet of East Shoreham and the Hamlet of Ridge have a "Wading River, NY 11792" mailing address), the Hamlet of Wading River is solely in the Town of Riverhead.

A map of the Hamlet of Wading River in the Town of Riverhead, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Wading River has a different border than does the "Wading River 11792" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Wading River 11792" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Wading River and a place can have other than a "Wading River 11792" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Wading River): places that have a "Wading River, NY 11792" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Wading River are in the Hamlet of East Shoreham and the Hamlet of Ridge in the Town of Brookhaven; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Wading River with a "Calverton, NY 11933" mailing address.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:15 AM

7,658 posts, read 10,538,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
The downtown part of Wading River is part of the Town of Riverhead and is much nicer than the Brookhaven side which is mostly the southern sections of the hamlet. However, I do agree that there are many more undesirable parts of Wading River than Quogue. BTW, you do know that Quogue has a "diverse neighborhood, just like Westhampton, Southampton, Montauk, Bridgehampton and Sag Harbor. I will also agree that RP is nicer than Shirley but RP is the most downscale hamlet of the North Shore communities from MT. Sinai to Baiting Hollow.

Whereas RP may be more downscale than some other communities in the area I would say its certainly on par with Sound Beach and some parts of Miller Place depending on the neighborhood. (nicer than Shirley lol) As for the Riverhead side of Wading River.I completely disagree. The schools are subpar in Riverhead and the whole area by Wildwood isnt very flattering either. Its most certainly a step down from SB/RP/MP RP Schools.

WR was on our shortlist when we came to the area but after careful consideration it was pretty clear that RPSD was a much better value and SWR taxes were loco.

I wouldnt trust a real estate agent that suggested otherwise.Bottom line, youre either in SWR or youre in Riverhead.

As for the hamptons theres some really great diverse areas in Bridgehampton and Sag Harbor too.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 01-31-2011 at 08:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island