U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 PM

659 posts, read 2,105,695 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of getting estimates for a front dormer and bathroom on a Levitt ranch in Levittown.

Sierra came in substantially cheaper than Levitstyle and Dormer King. Has anyone had experience or know someone that used these companies and if so, how were they?

We are most interested in Sierra, but I do realize the reference list these companies give you are only the very happy customers.

Any other ideas of contractors that work in Levittown that you are happy with?

Thanks. We really want to get the job started but are scared of making a very bad decision.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:44 PM
gag

679 posts, read 1,154,766 times
Maybe this will help---SINCE LEVITTOWN IS FULL OF DORMERS AROUND, GO TO THE SAME STYLE OF YOUR HOUSE, AND SEE WHAT DORMERS YOU LIKE. KNOCK ON THE DOOR AND ASK >This way you're choosing the reference not them.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 AM

510 posts, read 1,774,978 times
We recently did a full dormer on a Levitt cape - We used RMC restorations and I would stay away if I was you. We fired them before they were completed with the job. They subbed out the work on my house and Tanners construction built the dormer. They did an excellent job.

I would beware of Levitt Style. I have heard a lot of bad things about them from past customers. We interviewed Larsen and Gidch. They both do excellent work. I also heard good things about Madden and Chrisnic. Sierra does a lot in Levittown and so does Larsen. Larsen just completed a full dormer on a cape on Glade Lane - They completed it in 4 months. Basically the whole house is new. The downstairs was gutted to the studs. We did that too. Perfect time to re insulate. Levitt houses did not have good insulation.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:14 PM

659 posts, read 2,105,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
We recently did a full dormer on a Levitt cape - We used RMC restorations and I would stay away if I was you. We fired them before they were completed with the job. They subbed out the work on my house and Tanners construction built the dormer. They did an excellent job.

I would beware of Levitt Style. I have heard a lot of bad things about them from past customers. We interviewed Larsen and Gidch. They both do excellent work. I also heard good things about Madden and Chrisnic. Sierra does a lot in Levittown and so does Larsen. Larsen just completed a full dormer on a cape on Glade Lane - They completed it in 4 months. Basically the whole house is new. The downstairs was gutted to the studs. We did that too. Perfect time to re insulate. Levitt houses did not have good insulation.
Thanks for the info. We are heavily leaning towards Sierra (mostly because of price), but I may call some of your other recommendations for estimates if we are not happy with the contract Sierra creates.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:00 PM

good luck

Old 05-18-2011, 08:43 AM

11 posts, read 21,657 times
I would not trust a recommendation from an unknown source on the internet. ...good or bad...try checking in with nassau county consumer affairs and finding legitimate references.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 AM

I agree - Don't go by what an unknown source says on the internet - Do the research yourself. Drive around Levittown and ask home owners if they were happy with the companies that did the work on their homes

Old 05-18-2011, 08:52 AM

11 posts, read 21,657 times
this page would be top on my list of unreliable and biased advice. if i was spending good money on my home , i would do my research.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:03 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,058,295 times
Sierra did decent work for us. Like all of the contractors around they talk a great game but you have to stay on top of them to get what you want. We used Chrisnic last time and it was a complete nightmare (an ongoing nightmare). Made me miss Sierra but they we had a tight schedule and they couldn't get us in. They are reputable and do so much work in Levittown you can't find a block where they haven't done some work. That said they are more "build" focused. They work with you to plan and price, job out the drawings and off they go tearing down and building up. LevitStyle is more "design" or craftsman focused. The owner is an architect AND contractor so they do all of the plans/drawings soup to nuts. They charge more, are probably a little slower but do very nice work. Bottom line...Sierra is good, cheap, fast and adequate. Levit Style is good, but more expensive, slower and more architect focused. Just my opinion but hope that helps some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island