U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:35 PM

31 posts, read 90,055 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever hear of this homeowners insurance company? Any experiences?

Called GEICO, who is an agent for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:40 PM

7,658 posts, read 11,101,477 times
Want that the Beer in Jaws?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 AM

857 posts, read 1,022,663 times
I have not however I would suggest you try Harleysville Insurance. I had Interboro and my policy jumped $700 and someone shoping for a home told me about Harleysville and boy was I happy to switch.

P.M if you need the broker name.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:09 PM

168 posts, read 287,262 times
They just started within perhaps the last 2 years writing on LI. It is my understanding that Geico can not write the same coverage with them as you can get with an indepentent insurance agent. If you want a quote, call an agent as they can quote you with NBIC plus any other companies they may have.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 AM

13,902 posts, read 16,518,508 times
I have had Narragansett Bay for just under a year. I was 'non-renewed' by Allstate after a water damage claim in 2009 and a water damage claim in 2005. In 2005 my inline water filter had a plastic piece which cracked. I came home from a long weekend to a big flood in my kitchen, hall and basement. The manufacturer admitted the part was defective, Allstate went into subrogation. Last year A plumbing fixture failed and water spilled everywhere out of the bathroom, under carpet, seeped into walls. We found it about 2 hours into the spill.

My former Allstate agent tried to convince me that the non renewal had nothing to do with the claim (yeah, right -- 1 month after the check was issued) and everything to do with them reducing their risk on LI -- should the big one hit.

Back to NB -- my premium is high because of the two water claims, but of the companies which would take me, they were the lowest at $3,300. It didn't matter that they were 4 years apart, that one was a failure admitted to by the manufacturer.

I don't live in a flood zone which adds insult to injury.

I don't have the policy in hand, but the wind damage had a ridiculous 5% deductible. My current agent assures me that they will try to get it lowered when I come up for renewal. We'll see how true that is.

The application was very extensive and during the application process even went so far as to have me document my dogs by taking pictures AND supplying vet records. If you have a pitbull or another breed with a bad reputation -- they aren't going to insure you.

I was caught between a rock and a hard place. Knocking on wood that I never need to file a claim so I can get out of this homeowners 'assigned risk' category.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 AM

7,738 posts, read 10,854,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

I don't have the policy in hand, but the wind damage had a ridiculous 5% deductible. My current agent assures me that they will try to get it lowered when I come up for renewal. We'll see how true that is.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune regarding water damage! That's awful...

Unfortunately, that's a common wind damage deductible. But different carriers have different "wind" maximums.
If they agree to lower the deductible, they'll increase your premium.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:11 PM

53 posts, read 107,755 times
Quote:
I have had Narragansett Bay for just under a year. I was 'non-renewed' by Allstate after a water damage claim in 2009 and a water damage claim in 2005. In 2005 my inline water filter had a plastic piece which cracked. I came home from a long weekend to a big flood in my kitchen, hall and basement. The manufacturer admitted the part was defective, Allstate went into subrogation. Last year A plumbing fixture failed and water spilled everywhere out of the bathroom, under carpet, seeped into walls. We found it about 2 hours into the spill.

My former Allstate agent tried to convince me that the non renewal had nothing to do with the claim (yeah, right -- 1 month after the check was issued) and everything to do with them reducing their risk on LI -- should the big one hit.

Back to NB -- my premium is high because of the two water claims, but of the companies which would take me, they were the lowest at $3,300. It didn't matter that they were 4 years apart, that one was a failure admitted to by the manufacturer.

The application was very extensive and during the application process even went so far as to have me document my dogs by taking pictures AND supplying vet records. If you have a pitbull or another breed with a bad reputation -- they aren't going to insure you.

I was caught between a rock and a hard place. Knocking on wood that I never need to file a claim so I can get out of this homeowners 'assigned risk' category.
I am an insurance agent writing out of Great Neck, NY. Depending on the Coverage A (Dwelling Coverage), the Hurricane deductible can be lowered but that is depending on the carrier.

Allstate non-renewed thousands of customers due to the Hurricane Concerns in Long Island. Im pretty sure your losses made it easy for them to add you to the 2% that they are allowed to drop per year.

I don't write with Narragansett Bay but if you can package your Home with Auto, you can qualify for multi-policy discounts.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:00 PM

261 posts, read 253,375 times
Try Utica First. I have a great rate with them.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:44 AM

96 posts, read 114,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooser11 View Post
Anyone ever hear of this homeowners insurance company? Any experiences?

Called GEICO, who is an agent for them.
Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you are inquiring about this specific insurance company? Is there a certain risk you are trying to cover that this carrier supports?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:54 AM

96 posts, read 114,054 times
Quote:

Couple of questions for you:

-Have you tried working with a broker? You mentioned "agent" which is why I'm asking
-When your HO (homeowners) was written, did you package it with you auto insurance?

There are tons of property insurance carriers that write in New York. Utica, Narragansett Bay, Harleysville, Chartis, Ocean Harbor, Mercury, Travelers, Kingstone...the list goes on. This list narrows down however when you do not include packaging in your auto coverage.

Right now, it is VERY hard to get HO insurance by itself in Suffolk county. Sure you can get it, but it will not be competitively priced. Thus, be sure when you shop around to package in your auto.

The best thing you can do is contact an insurance broker professional on Long Island to shop your coverage for you. Brokers have access to multiple insurance carriers (both admitted and non-admitted) in New York. They will be able to find the best policy solution for your risk type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island