U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM

808 posts, read 643,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonPhishn View Post
Sorry dman72, but you're kind of off on your assessment. My father came to this country in the late 60's, put himself through college (while learning english and a new culture), and worked is ass off for everything he had. He worked hard, he didn't have it easy. ****, we have it easy these days. Workers had no rights those days, like we do now. They fired people for any reason they wanted. Now, you get sued. Missing a day of work due to snow could have cost him his job. He still works to this day, but luckily he's at a point where he can come and go as he chooses.

My grandfather, same story. Came here late 60's, didn't know English and put three kids through college. He worked until about 10 years ago.

You're really overlooking how technology has made our life much better. Cars are far better in the snow, people have cell phones, advanced traffic reporting, better weather prediction and analysis, etc. Combining all those factors makes our life much easier than they ever had it.
And you're overlooking how technology has made life more difficult. I have a Blackberry and I am expected to reply to emails at ALL times. Im sure your parents, when they had a day off, had a day off. I dont, ever. Even on vacation I am expected to check my Blackberry. I would trade all the technology for a pension, to be honest. And if I had a pension, I would work at the same company for my entire working life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,199,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
ok, so then make the teachers come in and not the kids.

(This is not rocket science, people).

Anyway, I made it into work. It's really not as bad out there as people are making it out to be. Granted I haven't driven on the roads yet but the nice lady who picked me up this morning didn't seem to have a problem.
then people would complain that teachers are being paid for days that they aren't doing anything.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:08 AM

6,046 posts, read 7,124,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
then people would complain that teachers are being paid for days that they aren't doing anything.
Aren't they still getting paid now to sit @ home and watch tv?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:08 AM

574 posts, read 633,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
And you're overlooking how technology has made life more difficult. I have a Blackberry and I am expected to reply to emails at ALL times. Im sure your parents, when they had a day off, had a day off. I dont, ever. Even on vacation I am expected to check my Blackberry. I would trade all the technology for a pension, to be honest. And if I had a pension, I would work at the same company for my entire working life.
couldn't agree more re: the crackberry.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
I was on a cruise ship this summer in international waters and my blackberry wasn't working in all parts- if we were too far out in the ocean so I had to pay $$ to use the computers on the ship just so I could check in with work.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 AM

574 posts, read 633,033 times
Quote:
No because if they use too many snow days then you lose vacation days during Spring Break/etc. I remember that happened one year when I was in HS. The schools have to be open a certain number of days per year. They aren't going to get paid again for the make-up days.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM

7,262 posts, read 7,545,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonPhishn View Post
Sorry dman72, but you're kind of off on your assessment. My father came to this country in the late 60's, put himself through college (while learning english and a new culture), and worked is ass off for everything he had. He worked hard, he didn't have it easy. ****, we have it easy these days. Workers had no rights those days, like we do now. They fired people for any reason they wanted. Now, you get sued. Missing a day of work due to snow could have cost him his job. He still works to this day, but luckily he's at a point where he can come and go as he chooses.

My grandfather, same story. Came here late 60's, didn't know English and put three kids through college. He worked until about 10 years ago.

You're really overlooking how technology has made our life much better. Cars are far better in the snow, people have cell phones, advanced traffic reporting, better weather prediction and analysis, etc. Combining all those factors makes our life much easier than they ever had it.
You've bought into the BS. I'll trade cell phones and 4 wheel drive for 5 weeks vacation, a pension, and having one parent stay home full time, without a second thought.

Take a look at the numbers professor Warren of Harvard has put together.

Elizabeth Warren: America Without a Middle Class

I know this is a leftist site but look up her video on youtube about the middle class..that is, if you haven't already made your mind up regardless of all facts. The facts don't jibe with the rhetoric about how hard people had it 30 or 40 years ago. Those WERE the good old days, life WAS easier.

Technology adds to stress just as much as it makes communications easier...it just means that fewer people can do more work...think about how big secretarial pools were in the 50's and 60's, think about what a manual task accounting was.....now everybody just types an e-mail and uses excel. One person can produce what it took 10 to in an office 30 years ago.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,280,639 times
Quote:
Not every job has a straight hours worked:wage pay schedule. It's called a salaried position, maybe you've heard of them since we all stopped breaking rocks all day for a living. Much how like many office workers come to work, screw around all day on the internet and go still collect a wage. When it becomes dangerous to send your kids to school, the school is closed - for the benefit of the kids, or so they don't get sued, pick your favored reasoning.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Not every job has a straight hours worked:wage pay schedule. It's called a salaried position, maybe you've heard of them since we all stopped breaking rocks all day for a living. Much how like many office workers come to work, screw around all day on the internet and go still collect a wage. When it becomes dangerous to send your kids to school, the school is closed - for the benefit of the kids, or so they don't get sued, pick your favored reasoning.
I am hourly paid, but yes...and thank god for that b/c with working til 8pm most nights I'm actually able to make a decent living here. Had I been a salaried employee, I'd be living off ramen and bread and sleeping on mom and dad's couch.

Let's not talk about my stress level though...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to make the $$.

So would rather come in on a snowy day than not, so @ least I could get paid for it.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:29 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,456,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Instead of asking why the teachers lives are valued more, ask why your boss doesn't value yours.

Really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island