U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM

66 posts, read 100,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I'm not risking the drive to LB because they have no clue what a snow plow is.

WFH.
Kay you got that right. I don't expect it to get better any time in the future.

I made the mistake of going to Island Park (where I usually get the train). They didn't plow the lots. The 7:39 train to Penn never showed up and the platforms and stairs were completely covered. Seems there was some confusion between trains east- and westbound trains - a train had to reverse off the bridge back into Long Beach

Train was local but the ride was ok. My boss showed up two hours after I did and my coworkers are emailing me from home asking me to send them stuff.

It is days like this I say to myself "just be happy you have a job"
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 AM

6,927 posts, read 2,639,610 times
We're still snowed in! They haven't cleared our walkway yet, I can just imagine what condition the parking lot is in !!!!

We got more snow than expected on top of what we already have, I have a snow drift on the side of my fenced in area about 13" high!

I'm a stay at home mom anyway, but I feel for everyone that has to travel the roads in this weather. I have plenty to keep me busy today inside, especially playing with my son, the thing I love doing the most!!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 PM

9,739 posts, read 17,028,970 times
Since Rockaway is right next door to LI, I'll chime in:

Got up ready to go in, and soon as I make out the door of my building, a guy that lives on the first floor came running to tell me that there was no A train service (big surprise). So I finished smoking my cigarette, went back upstairs, and got back in the bed. Called the manager and told him I'm taking a personal day. This was at 6:30 AM. An hour later, I get a text saying the office is closed. Saves me a day!

I work in Manhattan (commute is roughly 50 minutes one-way to Tribeca) and I'm salaried. And in the event that I can't get to the office, I can work from home. Shoveled out the car and relaxing with a six-pack now. Stay warm.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-27-2011, 12:57 PM

54 posts, read 85,185 times
Every school calendar usually allows for a maximum of two snow days. If schools go over two, days are made up around spring break or memorial day weekend. Last year, schools had to make up several days. Since it's only late January, I would think it's possible there will be more snow days and there will be make-up days called.

Many teachers used today to grade papers, plan lessons, and prepare report cards at home just like many professionals who did not go in did work at home. The bitterness toward the people who teach our children is just unexplainable on this forum. Don't make them the scapegoats because it's hard to live on Long Island as a middle-class person.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:58 PM

446 posts, read 712,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
See? This is why I don't understand why the teachers get so excited. They are just going to have to make up those days in June when it's nice. They are not given free days.
teachers don't get excited for snow days, they want delayed openings instead so they don't get days off cut in order to make up for the snow.

As far as people using their personal or vacation time to take a snow day, its accepted in most companies policies, so what do you care. Sometimes you want to stay home with the kids and build igloos, etc. and enjoy the snow instead of slogging into the office .

Old 01-27-2011, 01:36 PM

564 posts, read 501,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Did you hit something? Maybe you just have snow and ice on the inner side of your rims ala "My Cousin Vinny" when he was told he had "mud in his tires".
it actually worked itself out. now it drives the way it should. The entire car was shaking badly though. but thanks god it worked it self out.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:44 PM

167 posts, read 327,240 times
I design a newspaper so I HAVE to be here - hello NYC!

Old 01-27-2011, 03:57 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,020,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwaters View Post
I design a newspaper so I HAVE to be here - hello NYC!
I know plenty of people who feel your pain. But hey, props to you for hanging onto a job in print news these days!

Took me an extra 15 minutes to shovel out today because the plowing at my complex this time left a little bit to be desired. As in, they pushed a big heap of snow right up to my right tail light.

However, it was a great workout. Maybe it's because I never really had to shovel snow before, having lived in high-rises much of my adult life, but believe it or not, I actually enjoy it! [URL="http://******************"]http://******************/not-tagged-smiley-10197.gif (broken link)[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island