Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:18 PM

183 posts, read 618,724 times

Advertisements

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=12763654

I hope this attitude comes to LI! I know Lawrence High School has many of the students being 'bussed' in from Far Rockaway with fake local addresses. I have heard this is a growing problem throughout Long Island but especially Baldwin.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:22 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
You have to love headlines... Being sent to jail for FRAUD is meaningless - it was "for the kids".

Next up - "Homeowner foreclosed and evicted for feeding family"

Old 01-27-2011, 01:28 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwaters View Post
Ohio Mom Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District

I hope this attitude comes to LI! I know Lawrence High School has many of the students being 'bussed' in from Far Rockaway with fake local addresses. I have heard this is a growing problem throughout Long Island but especially Baldwin.

What do you guys think?
I don't understand, the school sends a bus to an address outside the school district to pick up kids at an address that is not on their record as their home address??

I think this is a symptom of the problem that is going on in public schools today. Parents are desperate, looking for a better option for their kids. I am not saying that this makes it OK to falsify records but I do understand the concern to get your child into a better school.

I live in Florida and the public schools are not good here.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I don't understand, the school sends a bus to an address outside the school district to pick up kids at an address that is not on their record as their home address??

I think this is a symptom of the problem that is going on in public schools today. Parents are desperate, looking for a better option for their kids. I am not saying that this makes it OK to falsify records but I do understand the concern to get your child into a better school.

I live in Florida and the public schools are not good here.
No, they are either dropped off or take public transportation - the school has a local address to maybe a grandparent or family friend who is willing to say they live there. When I say 'bussing' thats what I mean - sorry if that doesn't make sense, it's what I refer to the action as

Old 01-27-2011, 02:42 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
No, they are either dropped off or take public transportation - the school has a local address to maybe a grandparent or family friend who is willing to say they live there. When I say 'bussing' thats what I mean - sorry if that doesn't make sense, it's what I refer to the action as
Is Lawrence High School really that good? Kids can apply to any NYC public high school now, so why LI? It would only make sense if you lived in Far Rockaway to do that, and I personally dont know of anybody who does that, or even knows somebody with a Five Towns address to do so.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-27-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Is Lawrence High School really that good? Kids can apply to any NYC public high school now, so why LI? It would only make sense if you lived in Far Rockaway to do that, and I personally dont know of anybody who does that, or even knows somebody with a Five Towns address to do so.
Its a good school (it's not a Hewlett or Merrick but still a good school) and close to Queens. My guess is Far Rock HS isn't very good.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:50 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
It's not so uncommon for parents to try and get their kids into adjoining districts when their own is not so good. The district should be verifing residency upon enrollment. As the article states when caught the "custodial" parent gets billed for the out of district tuition cost (or a pro-rated portion). As many kids get shuffled between households our district requires a court paper showing who is the "legal" guardian when it is a broken household. Grandparents for example must have "legal" custody to have the children attend in their district.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM

156 posts, read 448,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The key term in that is apply. The 'good' high schools give preference to students who live in the community, so schools like Forest Hills or Cardozo have a very limited number of seats for non-resident students. Unless your child has a great transcript, they will not get into the good schools.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Oh, I see. I have spoken to people here in Florida who have done this for one reason or another.

Maybe this occurrence in Ohio will cause some changes to be made.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,628 times
I can't believe the poor woman wound up in jail for doing it, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island