Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,940,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
OMG. She sounds nuts! Won't lend you her shovel as she has done for every other occurrence of snow, but is mad you are not shoveling.

^^^ I agree she sounds nuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 08:26 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,303,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
^^^ I agree she sounds nuts
I know, I just learned it after several years of knowing her.
I should've known something was up when she said I shouldn't like mice because they are "the harbingers of evil".
How can something so cute be evil...aww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM3g3I6Qj7w

Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,634,293 times
I don't know about harbingers of evil, but they are harbingers of the Hanta virus.

I vote for not bothering to dig her out ever again.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,729,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
My LL now says I'm responsible for removing snow from my walkway and driveway, is that legal?
Why, Shiver-me-Timbers John! RESPONSIBILITY? That is onbelievable! Maybe we should tax drivers some more for causing all this snow thru the global warmings. I will DM Gpsma to have his amigos come to your apt building on Saturday, we're supposed to get more snow.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,240,257 times
Lightbulb Twenty bucks will solve your problem.

Quote:
I was informed that the lease says he's not responsible and I live in part of a house. I have been shoveling part of it myself for years, me and my downstairs neighbor each did our part, but my downstairs neighbor is now annoyed with me for not shoveling the driveway in the morning when she wants as well as "not doing my part" according to her. We used to share a shovel (her's) but after this I'm going to have to get my own.
Thanks for your help, looks like I'll be buying a shovel tomorrow (if I can find one..LOL) I guess I'll just shovel my own path and she can shovel her's. What about the sidewalk, though?
All of this drama could have been avoided for $19.97.

[URL="http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100686344&l angId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100686344 &cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D28X-_-100686344&locStoreNum=1211"]True Temper 18 in. Arctic Blast Snow Shovel - 1641000 at The Home Depot[/URL]

Old 01-28-2011, 10:51 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,154,745 times
Quote:
My LL now says I'm responsible for removing snow from my walkway and driveway, is that legal?
Nope - it's the responsibility of the home OWNER (aka Landlord).

Old 01-28-2011, 10:56 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,154,745 times
The OP keeps saying that he's been 'told that the lease says'. Don't you have a copy? If not, then you should get one. You can't go on hearsay.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,227,097 times
Quote:
I know, I just learned it after several years of knowing her.
I should've known something was up when she said I shouldn't like mice because they are "the harbingers of evil".
How can something so cute be evil...aww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM3g3I6Qj7w
She actually said those exact words:

"Mice are the harbingers of evil"

Besides being a confirmed mouse hater, would she also happen to be in some kind of fundamentalist type of religion? (The "evil" makes me think that.)

Mice are just animals, not some high form of evil. I have been fortunate enough to never live in a home with rodents, but if I happen to get any, I will use a humane method of solving the problem, not kill them.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,227,097 times
Quote:
According to what I've been told the lease says tenants are responsible for clearing the snow. I have no problem shoveling, actually, but my downstairs neighbor isn't pleased with my performance.
It's just a shame how some ppl can just turn on you for apparently no reason. I'll just buy my own shovel (when the stores get them back in) and do my own path and she can do hers. As far as the sidewalk, unshoveled walks are a PET PEEVE of mine so I have no problem doing that as well.
She's on her own with the driveway and her car from now on.
You mention that you've lived there several years.

When you first moved in, did you ever receive a lease?

Did you have a lease the first year you moved in and then after it expired, just kept paying the rent, and never received another lease?

If you and your landlord did not renew a lease (actual signed piece of paper) at the end of each rental term (usually yearly), you do not have a lease. What you are on is a month-to-month tenancy.

If this is the case, then, no, you are not responsible for the outdoor maintenance, including snow, for the multi-family house you live in. There is no lease saying you are and it is not a case like renting an entire single-family house where it is usually customary and expected for the tenant to do these chores.

However, if you have been doing your part with the snow removal all this time that you have lived there, you have grandfathered in the function. If you were to stop doing it altogether, while you couldn't legally be forced to do so, if your landlord has to start hiring people to do this now, it will affect your rent (upwards) and your landlord might be the type of person to want to get rid of you also (in month-to-month tenancies either party has to give 30-days notice to vacate).

So getting your own shovel and continuing to do your part with the snow removal is the best choice unless you want to move out of there anyway.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:16 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,312,407 times
I have a super who luckily does our sidewalks but everyone is responsible for digging their own cars out. I've been lucky the last 2 times someone drove past me and felt bad and and shoveled for me I'm a really bad shoveler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island