U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:19 PM

6,046 posts, read 7,411,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
According to what I've been told the lease says tenants are responsible for clearing the snow. I have no problem shoveling, actually, but my downstairs neighbor isn't pleased with my performance.
It's just a shame how some ppl can just turn on you for apparently no reason. I'll just buy my own shovel (when the stores get them back in) and do my own path and she can do hers. As far as the sidewalk, unshoveled walks are a PET PEEVE of mine so I have no problem doing that as well.
She's on her own with the driveway and her car from now on.
It should be mandatory that people have to shovel their walkways, if it's not mandatory already (I don't think it is?)...especially in a city like Long Beach where tons of people are out walking dogs or whatever.

Screw her. If she isn't pleased with your performance, she should do it. I hate people like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:01 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,482,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
She actually said those exact words:

"Mice are the harbingers of evil"

Besides being a confirmed mouse hater, would she also happen to be in some kind of fundamentalist type of religion? (The "evil" makes me think that.)

Mice are just animals, not some high form of evil. I have been fortunate enough to never live in a home with rodents, but if I happen to get any, I will use a humane method of solving the problem, not kill them.
Yeah she is kinda religous. She also says the "end of days" are coming and that the "Eagle and Dragon will fall" sorta infering the US and China will collapse. But I never held her beliefs against her. But after this I will just do my own thing and she can do hers.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:00 AM

338 posts, read 425,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Absolutely if you're renting a house. When renting an entire house the tenant is supposed to take care of the house as if they owned it (of course we all know that tenants in that situation do as little as humanly possible). That includes snow removal, mowing the lawn and watering, cleaning out gutters, raking leaves, etc. Unless it's stipulated in your lease that the landlord will take care of those things, you are responsible for them.
not true. if the plumbing breaks, its its the tenants responsibility? nope. if a window breaks, its its the tenants responsibility? nope.

it all boils down to what is written in the contract, legally.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:55 AM

27,234 posts, read 20,953,037 times
I don't see snow in any of these.

http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/Rent/Fac...s/orafac15.pdf
http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/Rent/FactSheets/orafac3.pdf
http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/Rent/Fac...s/orafac37.pdf
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/bureaus/real_estate_finance/pdfs/tenants_rights_guide.pdf (broken link)

On http://www.nyc.gov/html/dsny/html/home/home.shtml they do urge
Quote:
"Building owners and managers are reminded to clear their sidewalks of snow, and to clear out any fire hydrants that may be adjacent to their property. Corner properties should clear a path to the crosswalk."

Old 02-01-2011, 02:35 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,944,218 times
According to Q&A: Who's responsible for snow cleanup?, it's the property owner's/landlord's responsibility, unless it's a rental property and the lease specifically states otherwise.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,102 times
Default fine for not moving car

can a aprtment complex fine you for not moving car during snow removal...they just enforced snow removal day after snow fall....manager just made up a letter stating they will fine you if car is not removed...mean while plows pile up 3 ft of snow behind car and they only give you the early morning to remove it with in ten min. This policy was never on lease...they just decided to do it at their own will to squeeze money out of working people...the side walks are extremely icy and parking lot is chaos...but all they care about is moving the car...at the butt crack of dawn...to be suprised that you cant even move it because all the snow is plowed behind everyones car...how does this work!!!!???

Old 12-18-2013, 06:02 AM

2 posts, read 874 times
Refer to your lease. If the lease says "tenants are responsible for walkway and sidewalks" then you are in charge. Landlords are not required by law and state ordinance to clear an 'exclusive' driveway. What that means is if the tenant has full access, and sole use, of that said driveway, then the tenant is required to clear it. Again, review the lease, if nothing is on there about the driveway and you have sole use then chances are its your responsibility and if you are unsure, ask you landlord BEFORE you sign the lease. If it is your responsibility, then don't expect the landlord to do it. Many landlords live out of town and snow services aren't reliable so this is why tenants are usually in charge of that.

Now, if it is a shared driveway, especially with the landlord if they live on premise, then yes it would be the landlords responsibility to handle the removal of snow from that. If you do not share a driveway with the landlord, but with another tenant, I would double check with the landlord and arrange for a service, or perhaps money off the rent for performing those said services. If you take care of the property, the landlord will take care of you basically.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 PM

890 posts, read 1,862,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KezmirC View Post
Refer to your lease. If the lease says "tenants are responsible for walkway and sidewalks" then you are in charge. Landlords are not required by law and state ordinance to clear an 'exclusive' driveway. What that means is if the tenant has full access, and sole use, of that said driveway, then the tenant is required to clear it. Again, review the lease, if nothing is on there about the driveway and you have sole use then chances are its your responsibility and if you are unsure, ask you landlord BEFORE you sign the lease. If it is your responsibility, then don't expect the landlord to do it. Many landlords live out of town and snow services aren't reliable so this is why tenants are usually in charge of that.

Now, if it is a shared driveway, especially with the landlord if they live on premise, then yes it would be the landlords responsibility to handle the removal of snow from that. If you do not share a driveway with the landlord, but with another tenant, I would double check with the landlord and arrange for a service, or perhaps money off the rent for performing those said services. If you take care of the property, the landlord will take care of you basically.
Do you realize this thread is 2 years old?!!

Old 12-19-2013, 11:33 AM

523 posts, read 448,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Do you realize this thread is 2 years old?!!
To be fair, City Data does encourage all points of view and asks that people add any new information or opinions because open threads are still read by thousands of people.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 606 times
Default Snow Removal

I live in a 2 family house where the LL does not live. The upstairs tenants have lived there for appx. 20 years. When I moved in 8 months ago, I was told by the upstairs neighbor that her husband takes care of the trash,the backyard & small maintenance and although she didn't say there were compensated in their rent for doing these things, I figured there had to be some sort of an agreement between them.

We've had 2 snowstorms in the past week, and the neighbors are away & will be for 2 more weeks. I called the landlord today to ask about getting the snow removed & was told it's the tenants' responsibility.There's nothing in my lease that says that! By the same token, there's nothing that says it's his responsibility either.

After the landlord insisted it was MY responsibility if I wanted to clear a path from the front door to my car, and after I then asked him whose responsibility is it if I fall on the ice covered steps (and crack my head) trying to clear a path to my car he told me he would see if he could find someone who could do it, but I will have to pay for it.

Bottom line - is there any law that addresses this if it is not covered one way or the other in the lease?

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island