Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:57 AM

400 posts, read 756,327 times

Advertisements

$9,629.45 School Taxes W/Star
$5,661.26 General Taxes

63/37 or about -- I guess the point is also not that there are alot of other revenue streams for the county, but that our property taxes ARE HIGH, and that every other county in the nation collects the same way our county does and does so with alot less... If we say its going to be close to 50/50... Compared that to other counties.. which still makes us out of whack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,718,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I know what you're saying, and I agree with the fundamental point you're really trying to make with it (the county/town budget is a lot higher than it would appear) - but I think everyone already realized this. The non-property taxes are an accepted evil of everyone's life, and they are way ridiculous too. When people talk about the 70/30 split, they're not trying to diminish that... they're just commenting on the property taxes solely. When I_Love mentioned "taxes" in that thread, I think it was pretty obvious what she was referring to...
I'm not so sure about that, not everyone is as aware as I_Love. Evidence of that is how few people are on here talking about this in relation to the amount of suckers we have in NYS, especially Nassau county. People don't realize how much they are really paying out because most don't look at the big picture (or 100% of their real taxes), instead they just look at the big tax bills they get in the mail. I like to focus on the hidden-hand grabbing my tax money as well as inflation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The part Big Mike put in bold comes from the FAQ section on the mynassauproperty.com website. In other words, its coming directly from the Mangano administration.

One thing I do find quite amazing is you seem so dead set against an increase in the Nassau County property taxes by 3.9%, but give John Venditto a free ride for jacking the TOB Property taxes by more than 40% over the last few years. Go to the mynassauproperty.com site break out the County and TOB taxes, for the past few years, the site allows you to go back to 2005. Its really amazing at what has happened in the TOB compared to the county and see the differences.
Really Smash? Your TOB taxes have gone up that much? Give me 2 sample addresses in the TOB (at least 1 address in Massapequa) so I can see this on the nassaucounty property site.
My TOB taxes have not gone up anywhere close to that % and are a fraction, in dollar terms, of any other tax increase I've experienced. And if there were increases in TOB, it is most likely something that increased QOL for TOB residents, not to fatten up some overpaid, bloated union employee's pension, with loads of OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
$5,661.26 General Taxes

63/37 or about -- I guess the point is also not that there are alot of other revenue streams for the county, but that our property taxes ARE HIGH, and that every other county in the nation collects the same way our county does and does so with alot less... If we say its going to be close to 50/50... Compared that to other counties.. which still makes us out of whack
Definitely, good point.. our sales tax rate is near the highest in the country, we should not be having financial problems in this county. That shows us how County grew too fast for taxpayers to keep up with. I'm assuming your Tax Bill is in Roslyn?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 AM

18,978 posts, read 16,808,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
$5,661.26 General Taxes

You would probably be surprised to learn that outside the NY area taxes are done differently. We only pay property tax, our school districts must submit a budget to the local goverment. If approved as written or even adjusted if necessary the funds are distributed by the local goverment. In other words the school district can not tax us to meet their proposed budget. The regonal property taxs run $8.20 - $12.00 (roughly) per $1,000 of assesed value, thats it.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Definitely, good point.. our sales tax rate is near the highest in the country, we should not be having financial problems in this county. That shows us how County grew too fast for taxpayers to keep up with. I'm assuming your Tax Bill is in Roslyn?

yep in roslyn

Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You would probably be surprised to learn that outside the NY area taxes are done differently. We only pay property tax, our school districts must submit a budget to the local goverment. If approved as written or even adjusted if necessary the funds are distributed by the local goverment. In other words the school district can not tax us to meet their proposed budget. The regonal property taxs run $8.20 - $12.00 (roughly) per $1,000 of assesed value, thats it.

I am not really surprised.. everything else is messed up, why not this.....

Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,175,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
How do you think that would work out if you had public school teachers' unions? That is the 800 lb. gorilla when it comes to property taxes for schools around here.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,175,829 times
Whenever I mention "65-70% of our taxes go to our local school district," I am only talking about property taxes.

But thank you Pequaman for bringing forth the rest!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 PM

18,978 posts, read 16,808,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How do you think that would work out if you had public school teachers' unions? That is the 800 lb. gorilla when it comes to property taxes for schools around here.
We luckly do not allow that ugly primate in the state. I was horrified.. when I saw my 80+ year old mothers tax burden for a 50 year old house in a town that definetly has not invested in the town. Another thing that helps is we have only 1 school district for the county which eliminates alot of redundency's. I read what everyone posts even with the taxes and I can't keep track of all the layers of goverment that are in place.

Teachers are paid a resonable salary, districts are not abusive and the retirement is handled by the state so if you switch districts your retirement follows. It does take 5 years to become vested after that your free to move or even take a few years off without losing what you put it. Our district pays the retirement but employees pay about half for their health care.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:09 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,632,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Really Smash? Your TOB taxes have gone up that much? Give me 2 sample addresses in the TOB (at least 1 address in Massapequa) so I can see this on the nassaucounty property site.
My TOB taxes have not gone up anywhere close to that % and are a fraction, in dollar terms, of any other tax increase I've experienced. And if there were increases in TOB, it is most likely something that increased QOL for TOB residents, not to fatten up some overpaid, bloated union employee's pension, with loads of OT.
Here is my 2005-2011 change in TOB taxes:
Total = +36%
Town General Fund 105%
Town of Oyster Bay Lighting District 6%
Town Highway 56%
Town Building Dept, Zoning & Appeals, 57%
Fire Protection District 1%
Park District 36%
Water District -14%
TOB - Public Parking District 76%
Unincorporated Area of District #1 -48%

I was very surprised the TOB taxes had gone up this much over the past six years.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:24 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,932,246 times
A very good friend of mine moved to Massapequa in 2005 and at that time is taxes were Total(property and school) rounded off (5,800) now it's rounded off (9,900) Both included Star. Isn't that like a 70% increase ? Sec 52 Block 1** Lot 2**3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island