Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:09 AM

77 posts, read 440,569 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm in Los Angeles, looking for better places to live.

Can you tell me some really nice places to live in New York?
I don't want to live in New york city.

I want to live in a really nice Neighborhood- And I don't want to be a stone throw away from a bad neighborhood. A place ideal for raising a family etc..

I've found BethPage, is Bethpage nice? I know nothing about New York, please tell me of all the places you can think of to look at.

I want to be in a nice neighborhood- surrounded by Nice Neighborhoods- in each direction. The Problem in LA. You have to live in a Million Dollar neighborhood- to be in a decent neighborhood. And your just a quick little drive away from some really bad neighborhoods with really bad people like meth addicts and criminal minded people.

Please tell me.

Also! Do you have Natural Disasters there? In New York? In Long Island, near the areas I've mentioned?

One main reason I want to leave California is cause of the Faltline.

Do you guys have Hurricanes? Floods? Tornadoes? Earthquakes?

Thank you very much! Please take a moment to write me back, it would really help ! thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 04:35 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,825 times
Bethpage is a really nice but very expensive area. I grew up and lived there for 25 yrs before I moved and came out to NJ for my job.

You get an occassional powerful hurricane every I dunno 5-7 yrs up here, no earthquakes, won't be flooding in Bethpage, and lately getting hammered with snow just about every week.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:05 AM

25 posts, read 121,018 times
Bethpage is a nice town. It has a combination of blue collar and white collar workers. The school district is above average. Nearby towns are similar and I haven't seen any meth or gang type activities. Tornadoes are possible but very rare. Hurricanes happen occassionally but they don't tend to be that bad. There's no flooding or earthquakes. If you are a golfer, Bethpage has some of the best public golf courses in the country.

The cost for housing tends to be $300K's for a small house, $400K's for a nicer house and up to $500k's for something new.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 AM

257 posts, read 750,961 times
If you are looking for a basically solid middle class suburb within less than 1 hour of the city I would recommend the following neighborhoods (some of amy favorites, although there are a tone of good ones). I've listed them closest to Manhattan to farthest. If you could give a price range that would be helpful, because prices vary from low 300's to almost a million in some neighborhoods.

East Rackaway
Lynbrook
Floral Park (might be a little close to queens for you)
East Meadow
Bellmore(North or South)
Merrick(North or South)
Wantagh (I live here and love it!)
Seaford
Bethpage
Lindenhurst
Babylon Village

We are in fact an island, so the closer to the beach you are the more likely you'll have flooding, but it's not too bad. I'm in a "flood zone" and have never actaully had water come in the house in the 5 years I've lived there. An occasional hurricane. No earthquakes, no tornados.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:23 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
I think Bethapge is great.

Seems like theres some pretty affordable housing stock too.
If I were looking for commutable working class Nassau Id have it on my shortlist.
Lots of Cops, Firemen, Union guys.
Nice little town.

Good luck

Crooks

Old 01-29-2011, 03:00 AM

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:17 AM

629 posts, read 1,700,792 times
I certainly don't blame you for wanting to leave CA

Long Island is a tremendous island with around 7.5 million people. It's hard to offer you recommendations about an area to live in when we know nothing about your age, socioeconomic background, what you like to do for recreation, if you have a family/children, etc.

There is a LOT of country between LA and LI - why have you focused on LI? Do you have friends/family/work here?

Natural disasters are pretty limited here. The occasional hurricane comes this way - but we have not had a major one since the late 1930's I believe. Some snow - if that's your cup-of-tea - and the occasional heat-wave in the summer - overall weather-wise - it's pretty calm.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:43 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBucks View Post
I certainly don't blame you for wanting to leave CA

Long Island is a tremendous island with around 7.5 million people. It's hard to offer you recommendations about an area to live in when we know nothing about your age, socioeconomic background, what you like to do for recreation, if you have a family/children, etc.

There is a LOT of country between LA and LI - why have you focused on LI? Do you have friends/family/work here?

Natural disasters are pretty limited here. The occasional hurricane comes this way - but we have not had a major one since the late 1930's I believe. Some snow - if that's your cup-of-tea - and the occasional heat-wave in the summer - overall weather-wise - it's pretty calm.
I think if you like suburban CA you will love suburban LI.

Its basically 4 seasons OC on the cheap, with good schools and a better City if you buy wise on taxes.

Fact check.Nassau-Suffolk= 3Million.
Anywhere else is NYC

Crooks

Old 01-30-2011, 05:11 AM

The reason I started looking at Long Island is cause- I am looking for Nice Neighborhoods, suburb Types & Also as Natural Disaster free as possible. Now, all the areas I have looked at- I mean EVERYWHERE!!!! Else Except L.A. is like in the middle of No where! I looked on Google Sattelite maps.

LA, If you're in say... Some Suburb in Southern California (Even super far away from LA) You're not in the middle of no where- you're just surrounded by neighbor hood, after neighborhood, after neighborhood. You have to drive for a really long time on the freeway to wind up where there is nothing.

Now, looking on Satelite maps- I've seen that all the Suburbs- even All the Big City's I've found (That I"ve found that is.) Seem to be surrounded by nothing! I mean.. You're just in the middle of no where!

I want to live in a Nice neighborhood, like suburb. just for the Fun of it I looked up the Big City's (Thinking there would be Nice Neighborhoods near the City's. Maybe like 15 miles away etc.. I've looked at Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix.. just everywhere! Boise, Madison etc.. It's all Just like in the middle of nowhere! You'll see a little section where there are people, you'll see the City at the Core, maybe a little suburb area on the outer rim, Then after that- Nothing! Just Nothing! either Woods, or Desert. So I was thinking, drive 15 miles away from the city & you'd be in really nice Neighborhoods, suburbs etc.. But nope- drive 15 miles away from the city & you are in the middle of nowhere!

So - I just thought- what about New York!? Then i seen what Nice looking Suburbs seem to be on Long Island. But then heard that you guys do have hurricanes right?

Now that being said- all that I've told you. By the way, I'm 24, I'm a business owner- I can take my business where I go- I plan to be rich pretty soon (Entrepreneur) Not Married yet, plan to get married, plan to have kids etc.. I want to find the perfect place for us.

Now- just anything that comes to your mind! I mean, if you can think of some place that Doesn't have hurricanes? Like maybe Some other part of New York? Or maybe even just some other place you know of- Please just throw it out there for me.

Me, for fun- I play Hockey.. I mean, at this age.. it's just Hockey, Hanging out with Family & Friends basically.. I could live with out hockey, I'd love to keep playing, but if i had to.. then I'd do it.. I'm in L.A. I've never done any Outdoors kinda thing regularly.. so, hockey is about all there is. And I play guitar & do other stuff I can do anywhere.

But yeah, please be of help to me. I would really really appreciate it!

Also, not to too my own horn, but I"m just this really nice Sincere guy- I really love being around other people that are nice. It's not mandatory, but I like it.. Out here, the nice areas- where the family's have money, also happen to have the nicest people. Even the kids, the adults everyone! Manners, just everyone is much nicer.. The Ghetto- no joke! Not to long ago, I was walking down the street, I said " whats up guys.." Passing by 3 ghetto dudes my age. One of them cussed back at me, I couldn't understand all that he said, but I just remember thinking... I am going to work my tail off. And be FAR! away from this sort of crap as possible!

Thank you!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,825 times
Good luck with the deciion to move One thing I'll add is Long Island/NYC/NJ is a great area for all different kinds of cuisines...there is something for practically every ethnicity and great quality too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island