Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,812 times

Advertisements

So that was the great news now for the complete darkness. I live in Deer Park so I have to deal with the good old town of Babylon. I received my letter so long ago from Mark Lewis that I won the town has the info on record that I won so why does it feel like they will never send the info over to my bank and send me the refund for the taxes paid under the old asses numbers.

Does anyone know how long this process normally take? I get answers that make no sense from the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times
Your refund is probably coming from the suffolk county real property tax collectors office. I waited eight months for my refund. They will give you a ball park time frame for your refund.
Try this : (631) 852-1547

Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Your refund is probably coming from the suffolk county real property tax collectors office. I waited eight months for my refund. They will give you a ball park time frame for your refund.
Try this : (631) 852-1547
8 months. They are kidding me right? I should take them that long with the money I wow them and see how fast they try to charge me extra. This is almost criminal. I am still trying to figure out when my bank will get the new figures so they can stop making money off me too.

I figure the town owes me at least $100 in intrest.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
8 months. They are kidding me right? I should take them that long with the money I wow them and see how fast they try to charge me extra. This is almost criminal. I am still trying to figure out when my bank will get the new figures so they can stop making money off me too.

I figure the town owes me at least $100 in intrest.
I was able to give my lender an estimate of what the new taxes are and they made changes to my escrow payment immediately, though you will get any overage back from them as well.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:25 PM

13 posts, read 43,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
So that was the great news now for the complete darkness. I live in Deer Park so I have to deal with the good old town of Babylon. I received my letter so long ago from Mark Lewis that I won the town has the info on record that I won so why does it feel like they will never send the info over to my bank and send me the refund for the taxes paid under the old asses numbers.

Does anyone know how long this process normally take? I get answers that make no sense from the town.
Your refund comes from the Suffolk County Treasury. There are 2 people processing tens of thousands of checks. If you do not receive your refund within 90 days, you will receive interest at 1% per month. Thats a pretty good interest rate! I am still waiting for many refund checks for my clients.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:43 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
I hope to be getting my refund in February! On the other hand, 1% interest/month is nothing to sneeze at and might be worth waiting for

Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 PM

Not to put a damper on things for all of you who successfully grieved, but the amount you're getting back this year will reduce the amount of RE taxes you can deduct for this year (2011)

Old 01-29-2011, 01:43 AM

903 posts, read 3,579,599 times
we are still waiting with mark lewis as well. my husband calls and mark lewish says the town hasnt paid them and the town says they have.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
we are still waiting with mark lewis as well. my husband calls and mark lewish says the town hasnt paid them and the town says they have.

Can you find out when the Town supposedly paid Mark Lewis? Seems like nobody wants to let go of the $$. "Show me the money!" ;-)

First time I wanted to grieve, I went to Mark Lewis - they turned me down. Did it myself instead and got a nice reduction...
Second time I grieved I used someone else, successfully; but I'm getting the money directly - payment doesn't go to them first. Supposedly a check will be coming in February...

Old 01-29-2011, 09:05 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Just think of it as "forced savings"
Months from now you'll all but forgotten about that refund and then "bam"...a nice surprise in the mailbox. It'll be like winning lotto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island