Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:55 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times

Advertisements

Another: I'm jealous my life is going nowhere wish I didn't drop out of High School thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 12:13 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb11111 View Post
I posted the following in another thread, but I think it can also do some good here:

SeeThroughNy.com | Home

If you do a search at the link above for people retiring in NYS with annual pensions above $200,000 you'll understand why the state and Nassau are in such bad shape. Teachers, no matter how good they are, should NOT be able to retire on $200,000+ guaranteed every year for the rest of their life! I pick on the teachers because if you do that search more than 80% of the pensions >$200,000 are from the NYS Teachers.
I agree with those who posted that these are administrators. I checked the site and here's two examples that I found:

Take the example of James H. Hunderfund from the Commack school system who retired in 2009 at a rate of $316,245. Dr. Hunderfund was the President of the School Board. Another example. Dr. Ronald L. Friedman of Great Neck ($267,132) was the School Superintendant.

In NYC, Joel Klein made a big deal about how the teachers' pensions are bankrupting the system, yet had no qualms about collecting his pension for his 8 years of work at a rate that would take a teacher 20 years to earn. So perhaps its not the teachers that are the real problem here, and what needs to be looked at more closely is the administration.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander329 View Post
Nearly all Long Island districts don't have a separate college counselor since such a high percentage of graduates at a school like Ward Melville go to college.
Not true. I know several with both average and high graduation rates, with kids heading for Ivy Leagues etc that have College Counselors separate from regular guidance counselors.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:56 PM

324 posts, read 335,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Another: I'm jealous my life is going nowhere wish I didn't drop out of High School thread.
You are correct. And in this thread will be more off topic, unintelligent, insulting quips by those who are taking advantage of the broken system.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:42 PM

74 posts, read 207,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My son graduated last year -- the same year the PE teacher retired. I asked him what Mr. O'Leary did at the school. He replied, "Taught gym and directed traffic." Neither director or coordinator; did not coach sports, did not teach drivers ed (there is a seperate company which handles that.

He suckled on the district teat for over 30 years.

So, because your son said that this gym teacher "taught gym and directed traffic," means that it must be true.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:37 PM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
They should really be up front about the total raises including the step increases. I know not all may get a step increase in a given year but that is an extreme minority. The raises have amounted to around 5% including steps.

The School Cancellor of NY with 1 Million students made $250,000 last year, we have superintendents making upwards of $300K in small districts all over the island. One superintendent making $485K in a district that could run itself makes no sense. Why would anyone run for governor when they can just be a school superintendent. What kind of school board approves that type of salary?

Old 01-29-2011, 06:17 PM

257 posts, read 751,137 times
Please don't forget that "teacher" pensions include professors at the State Universities. That may be bringing up the average pay out. No true teacher in a public school makes enough to warrant that type of pension. Also don't forget that teachers pay 3% of their salary into their pension plan.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:45 PM

182 posts, read 406,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMonster View Post
So, because your son said that this gym teacher "taught gym and directed traffic," means that it must be true.
I was curious about this and did a Google on the man. I found a website that showed he was getting just under $58,000 in 95-96 year. He was in the teacher column.
Administrators' & Teachers' Salaries 1995-1996
His pay went up almost a hundred thousand dollars in 14 years. I wish I had his job!
On a cache district page he was listed as a staff person. Two other people were the phys Ed department heads.

My personal experience driving limos to the school during the prom season was meeting him as he directed prom traffic into the parking lot. The school has a huge prom enterance parade so about 6 people handle the traffic in and oversea what the kids are doing in the parking lot when they wait for the parade to start. Not only did he guide us into the lane to line up but he came over and checked that there wasn't anything like booze or drugs in the car. The kids were talking after he left and it seemed that because he is missing an eye, he does some security and limited gym instruction.

You are anonymously sitting at a keyboard insulting a person who's kid went to the school and seems to have a good idea what the man does. Do you work there? Can you give us more info?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:22 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
You are correct.
Of course I am

Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone View Post
I was curious about this and did a Google on the man. I found a website that showed he was getting just under $58,000 in 95-96 year. He was in the teacher column.
Administrators' & Teachers' Salaries 1995-1996
His pay went up almost a hundred thousand dollars in 14 years. I wish I had his job!
On a cache district page he was listed as a staff person. Two other people were the phys Ed department heads.

My personal experience driving limos to the school during the prom season was meeting him as he directed prom traffic into the parking lot. The school has a huge prom enterance parade so about 6 people handle the traffic in and oversea what the kids are doing in the parking lot when they wait for the parade to start. Not only did he guide us into the lane to line up but he came over and checked that there wasn't anything like booze or drugs in the car. The kids were talking after he left and it seemed that because he is missing an eye, he does some security and limited gym instruction.

You are anonymously sitting at a keyboard insulting a person who's kid went to the school and seems to have a good idea what the man does. Do you work there? Can you give us more info?
Thanks for digging up that info... unbelievable.

PreciousMonster - What motivation would OhBeeHave's TEENAGE SON possibly have to LIE about this anyway? I'm sure at 15 years old he really gives a crap about pensions and property taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island