U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-03-2011, 01:11 PM

3,049 posts, read 2,107,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Spent a lot of time on the roads today--Sunrise, Southern State, Meadowbrook. 65 in the middle lane fits. Slower traffic was to the right, 75ers to the left.

But as long as I'm talking about traffic, I have to say that whoever developed the area of Mineola/Carle Place that splits Old Country Road and East Old Country road should be SHOT. Did they not stop to think of what piling all of those crappy little strip malls on top of each other would do to traffic there?

And what is with the idiots with three screaming kids pulling up behind you while you are waiting to make a left and making obscene gestures (in front of their kids--nice) because they expect you to pull out into oncoming traffic and get T-boned so they can get across the road? Clearly they're in no rush for birth control or charm school. Neither are the 80-year-old codgers who pull up behind you in a deserted parking lot while you are pulled off to the side with your flashers on and then proceed to mutter in Sassafras ("sassafrassin brickin brackin...") What, too blind to see that my flashers are on? There's no one else in this whole parking lot. GO AROUND ME, Y'OLD COOT!

Animals in that area. Absolute animals. Now I see why so many people in Nassau are such miserable creatures. You have to commute through a sty.

That is so true..reminds me of Midtown 5pm on a Friday

I go through the exact opposite here...When it snows (thank heaven not much 1/10 of an inch this year) but if we get like 3 inches which equals 12-14 on the Island. I know my fast drivers are from the tri-state area especially N.Y. because the locals drive 10mph.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-03-2011, 01:21 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,338,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Just as long as you are in the right lane you should have no problems. I don't get the driving without your lights issue either. People don't turn on their lights because they don't think it helps them see. What they don't realize is that you should have them on, not to benefit you, but to make sure other people know you are there.
I'm not talking about the Highway, so Right Lane/Left Lane doesn't really apply. Also - all along Jericho Tpke the Right Lane remains pretty impassible due to snow and cars taking up the right lane.
And you are absolutely right about lights. Lately I've seen more and more drivers even at night without their lights on. In the dark and if you have a dark car, I can't see you.

Unread 02-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Stop doing 30 in the LEFT LANE and you wont have to worry about it.
Don't normally drive 30 or 40 but during the ICY conditions the safest speed was not to go over 30. You obviously didn't read my original post.

Unread 02-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
To the OP....what lane were you driving in?
NOT ON THE HIGHWAY. In any case even on the Highway - I'm sure that on the day in question (ICE) NO ONE should have been going more than 40 even in the left lane.

Unread 02-03-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
I find it amazing how many people, regardless of type of vehicle they drive, really have no clue how to operate their vehicle in a safe and courteous manner.

There's as many folks who operate their vehicles below their capabilities as there are folks operating vehicles beyond their capabilities. Too slow in the left lane can be just as dangerous as too fast.

Sometimes it's like a minefield of morons out there.

This is not directed at anybody in particular...just a rant from someone who spends a lot of time on the roads.
I agree with you. I'm not a slow driver (by any stretch of the imagination ) -- on dry days.

Unread 02-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Damn...don't you know that you can not drive in the left lane unless you are qualifying for the Indianolopis 500.

What's wrong with you??? Don't you know there are loads of people that can't wake up 10 minutes early so they can get to work without going 80 miles an hour in ice. Do you really expect them to drive at 55?..or maybe 30 when there is ice and snow on the road...after all, there may be an accident that has held them up and they need to get to their job at Walbaums..its important you know..the veggies need to be put out on time.

And remember..drive in the right lane if you are going slow..it makes it easier for those that have to go faster to cut you off from the left lane while they pull into the middle lane to get back into the first lane to get off the exit...remember...the Charmin needs to be put out.
Good One!!

Unread 02-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
IF you want to go SLOW because of the weather you are supposed to do that in the Right lane of the LIE. I know full well when my car is slipping or not because of ice.

IF your going to complain about bad drivers you have to follow the rules of the road yourself also.

OK - I'm pretty sure we all know the rules of the road. Just as I'm also sure that half the population ignores those rules. That being said, regardless of whether or not a lane is a slow lane or a fast lane...the MAXIMUM Speed limit on the LIE is STILL only 55, NOT 80. Nor is the HOV Lane meant for drivers thinking they are on the Autobahn. Silly Humans.

Unread 02-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I think you're right - the crazy driving has certainly increased this year. Maybe crazy driving increases with the amount of storms? I'd have thought there would be the opposite, as people get used to the onslaught of winter, but it doesn't appear to be the case.
I think it's because of all the Snow Storms we've been having. People are suffering from Snow Fatique..and they've also been more cranky than usual. This leads to more aggressive driving imho

Unread 02-03-2011, 01:36 PM

8,681 posts, read 6,527,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
That is so true..reminds me of Midtown 5pm on a Friday

I go through the exact opposite here...When it snows (thank heaven not much 1/10 of an inch this year) but if we get like 3 inches which equals 12-14 on the Island. I know my fast drivers are from the tri-state area especially N.Y. because the locals drive 10mph.
OMG! I couldn't believe it! And this was at 1:00! There is no way to turn around there. I pulled into the empty parking lot just to get my bearings, check my GPS, make a call, and not have a stroke.

Since you're down in the Commonwealth, you might have driven through the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Interchange"]Mixing Bowl[/URL] at some point. Put it to you this way: I'd rather spend a whole DAY driving around the Mixing Bowl than deal with that area for half an hour.

And Meadowbrook Parkway... Can there be any more ruts, bumps, and snags? I thought my fillings were going to come out. It was like going over a FOD shaker at an airbase.

I'll tellya, on the way back out to the sticks, when I got to about Exit 42 on Southern State, I could feel my blood pressure go back down. Not many people, lots of pine trees, and just the gentle, rhythmic ka-thump of the wheels going over the tar between the slabs of concrete. Now if this migraine would just go away...

Unread 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM

3,939 posts, read 3,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Since you're down in the Commonwealth, you might have driven through the Mixing Bowl at some point. Put it to you this way: I'd rather spend a whole DAY driving around the Mixing Bowl than deal with that area for half an hour.
I95 southbound through Alexandria/Fredericksburg is worse. I've sat in that stretch for 2-3 hours once because morons do not know how to merge from the express/HOV I95 road to the local one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island