U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 AM
 
152 posts, read 177,196 times
Reputation: 132
Default Why Do My Popety Taxes Increase If I Add A Wood Deck?

The property tax assessment system makes very little sense. What additional County, Town, School or Village resources are affected by me adding a wood deck?


Property Taxes should be based solely upon Sq footage of the home & land period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Island of long
3,541 posts, read 5,816,688 times
Reputation: 1100
Im a rookie, I didnt know decks and patios increased your taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Northport
447 posts, read 779,367 times
Reputation: 151
Property tax assessment = assessing the value of your home.
Any improvements to your home: addition, pool, deck, shed, etc increase the value of your home, which will increase your taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 08:16 AM
 
219 posts, read 237,841 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool0890 View Post
The property tax assessment system makes very little sense. What additional County, Town, School or Village resources are affected by me adding a wood deck?


Property Taxes should be based solely upon Sq footage of the home & land period.

Anything they can do to make you pay more.... there is nothing you can do... Just leave your house alone.. dont upgrade anything and let it fall apart... You will still have high taxes, but not as high as your neighbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 08:30 AM
 
1,780 posts, read 2,599,449 times
Reputation: 1600
Theoretically, your $10,000 deck increases the value of your house by $10,000.

Assuming it is a wood deck, it will greatly depreciate in a 10-year or 20-year period. But you will still be paying the increase based on the $10,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM
 
1,917 posts, read 2,924,304 times
Reputation: 750
Just do a deck. Everyone else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 AM
 
99 posts, read 74,186 times
Reputation: 32
i have a question. i have a huge composite wood deck. its in good shape except the posts are all regular wood. the carpenter ants have terrorized it over the years. i was thinking of taking half of it down and putting new posts for the part that i keep. i would rather have a backdoor stoop anyway.

say i just rip the whole thing down, will my taxes go down since i don't have a fancy deck anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Northport
447 posts, read 779,367 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
i have a question. i have a huge composite wood deck. its in good shape except the posts are all regular wood. the carpenter ants have terrorized it over the years. i was thinking of taking half of it down and putting new posts for the part that i keep. i would rather have a backdoor stoop anyway.

say i just rip the whole thing down, will my taxes go down since i don't have a fancy deck anymore?
If you are currently being assessed for the deck, you can remove it and should get a reduction is assessment/taxes. You probably need a demolition permit to remove the deck in order to have it removed from your property file with your town. If the deck has no CO, and you are not being assessed on it, removing it will not lower your taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
13,762 posts, read 15,773,322 times
Reputation: 4578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool0890 View Post
The property tax assessment system makes very little sense. What additional County, Town, School or Village resources are affected by me adding a wood deck?


Property Taxes should be based solely upon Sq footage of the home & land period.

Many people build the deck without permits and fly under the thought of
"It is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission."
If you do go that direction -- take pictures of the footings, the depths, the framing -- all the stuff that can't be seen once the deck is in place.
It could save you headaches later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 AM
 
1,917 posts, read 2,924,304 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Many people build the deck without permits and fly under the thought of
"It is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission."
If you do go that direction -- take pictures of the footings, the depths, the framing -- all the stuff that can't be seen once the deck is in place.
It could save you headaches later.

Unless the pictures reveal the structure was not built to code...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top