Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:09 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times

Advertisements

This is the start. We are now entering a process of adjustment to the new standards of education on Long Island.

Sachem's State Aid Cut by $16 Million - Sachem, NY Patch

Obviously the clear message I gathered watching the limited TV coverage was that both school officials and parents were agreeing that teachers are going to be cut and the students are going to suffer from this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
It's either time to cut spending or see your taxes go up like crazy..they might go up any way even with the cuts, just not as much. We are in a financial mess that's it's going to be difficult to get out of.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
The best part is when schools fight back by punishing the complaining taxpayers (parents) by holding back supplies, threatening sports programs, "Adjusting" bus stops so kids have to walk 3 miles and my favorite: Split sessions. This way, your kids are guaranteed to arrive home (or leave for school) from an empty house.
Awesome.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:18 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Since Sachem is such a large district encompassing many towns - just what would be the exact impact to each family if taxes were raised? Yes, $16.2 million is a large number, but since taxes are usually allocated to both businesses and residents and there is a rather large commercial presence in that district - why not increase taxes on commercial and the airport to pick up a large part of the reduction in aid?

Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 AM

Sounds like the "party" is over.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:36 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Since Sachem is such a large district encompassing many towns - just what would be the exact impact to each family if taxes were raised? Yes, $16.2 million is a large number, but since taxes are usually allocated to both businesses and residents and there is a rather large commercial presence in that district - why not increase taxes on commercial and the airport to pick up a large part of the reduction in aid?
Am I reading this correctly? Or maybe you're not as fiscally conservative as I thought, my friend.

I'm in the Sachem school district. There are a fair number of industrial parks in the area, probably because of the proximity of MacArthur airport for shipping. Thing is, a lot of these businesses are family-owned and aren't that big. Taxing them too much may hurt more than it helps. The burden is still going to come back to the little guy, who works in a plant and loses his benefits or job when the family-owned company he works for has to divert funds from salary and benefits to paying taxes.

I've always thought it wise for a small to mid-sized business to set up shop in this area. It's not congested like Nassau, or even like Hauppauge; there's easy access to not only an airport, but also the LIRR, LIE, and Sunrise Highway; and the way these industrial parks were designed, there's room to grow within the parks.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to see it become another Nassau. One afternoon of dealing with Mineola/Carle Place yesterday makes me very glad I don't live or work there. Nassau does seem to be morphing into the next Queens. Just that if you have a small to mid-sized operation, out here is a good place to be because it's reasonable for all the area offers.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Am I reading this correctly? Or maybe you're not as fiscally conservative as I thought, my friend.

I'm in the Sachem school district. There are a fair number of industrial parks in the area, probably because of the proximity of MacArthur airport for shipping. Thing is, a lot of these businesses are family-owned and aren't that big. Taxing them too much may hurt more than it helps. The burden is still going to come back to the little guy, who works in a plant and loses his benefits or job when the family-owned company he works for has to divert funds from salary and benefits to paying taxes.

I've always thought it wise for a small to mid-sized business to set up shop in this area. It's not congested like Nassau, or even like Hauppauge; there's easy access to not only an airport, but also the LIRR, LIE, and Sunrise Highway; and the way these industrial parks were designed, there's room to grow within the parks.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to see it become another Nassau. One afternoon of dealing with Mineola/Carle Place yesterday makes me very glad I don't live or work there. Nassau does seem to be morphing into the next Queens. Just that if you have a small to mid-sized operation, out here is a good place to be because it's reasonable for all the area offers.
It's an option - all should share in the success and burdens of a town - there should be no "one is a winner". The question is where will a business go if taxes do go up a little? - not China and not Nassau and probably not India, either. Those multi-family complexes - how are those taxed as opposed to single family residential? You could have 3 kids in a rental and if the rental is not taxed at an equal to higher rate than single family, then the town loses.
Rentals typically make money for the landlord - well, Robin Hood says it's always good to pay your fair share. What are the owners going to do?

Maybe I should take a job as your tax assessor?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:17 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Drive through any of the industrial parks on LI? They're already half empty, everything is "available".

At some point the answer to everything can't be "just raise taxes more".

Think about what we aren't allowed to talk about here anymore and how this relates. We are going to keep raising taxes on businesses to maintain salary commitments to municipal workers. Who is going to pay the taxes eventually?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Drive through any of the industrial parks on LI? They're already half empty, everything is "available".

At some point the answer to everything can't be "just raise taxes more".

Think about what we aren't allowed to talk about here anymore and how this relates. We are going to keep raising taxes on businesses to maintain salary commitments to municipal workers. Who is going to pay the taxes eventually?
So much for the "economic recovery"

The other option is to consolidate classes - that means increased class sizes, less teachers.
You can reduce aides or paraprofessionals, but the real fat will come from the hides of those most well compensated. That means superintendents, principals and again teachers. Teachers make up the bulk of the costs - they either need to accept a pay freeze, pay cut or the nuclear option - fire them.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
It's an option - all should share in the success and burdens of a town - there should be no "one is a winner". The question is where will a business go if taxes do go up a little? - not China and not Nassau and probably not India, either. Those multi-family complexes - how are those taxed as opposed to single family residential? You could have 3 kids in a rental and if the rental is not taxed at an equal to higher rate than single family, then the town loses.
Rentals typically make money for the landlord - well, Robin Hood says it's always good to pay your fair share. What are the owners going to do?

Maybe I should take a job as your tax assessor?
Property taxes are factored into rent, so renters do pay, albeit indirectly. When property taxes go up, so does rent. The larger property management companies will even spell that out in their leases.

I don't know what you mean by multi-family rental. You mean apartments? Sorry, but no, someone living in a 750 sq. ft. apartment should not be subjected to property tax on the level of someone living in a stand-alone home that they own on land that they own. Homeowners get plenty of tax write-offs and tax benefits from home ownership that renters do not get, so as far as I'm concerned, the proportions are right.

And actually, although I don't know what business taxes are in Hauppauge, yes, some there have moved their manufacturing to China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island